Trakanon Raider
B9AB051D-38C2-4DD3-B114-D0BA499F2F39.jpeg

youngin being docile… for a change

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
She'll be 12 in a couple months. Learned so much having an old dog with a stellar diet. She's in fantastic shape...except for her teeth and hips. The teeth because I fed her raw for her entire life and let her eat beef marrow bones into her elderly years, when her jaw had literally become stronger than her teeth, so she ended up breaking a couple canines and one of the rear cutting teeth, name escapes me at the moment.

The hips because she was a high intensity working dog, and now she's dealing with some arthritis that fish oil and glucosamine can't help anymore. I had some old CBD chews my boss had leftover from his dog, and those really helped, but can't seem to find the same shit anymore, laws have changed here, so anything with real CBD is super prohibitively expensive. This is exacerbated by me having a split level house, so now I spend a lot more time carrying a German shepherd up the stairs than I'd like.

If I had to do it all over again, no more beef legs past 4 or 5 years old, and no running her until she couldn't run anymore because she was never satisfied with being done playing with the ball.

IMG_20220824_185609360.jpg

• 13Like
Reactions: 12 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Changed the bed sheets today, cat helped. Then .......this all day

Attachments

• 20220826_164556.jpg
    20220826_164556.jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220826_164602.jpg
    20220826_164602.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 6Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
I took away buffalo horns from my GSD around 9 years old. Vet said she had worn down his teeth over the years on the horns and antlers. I felt bad because he loved chewing on them.

She never chewed. Nibbled everything, though. Nibbled my sleeves when we played, nibbles her bed, nibbles the cat, hell, she still has toys she got literally the first month she was here, because she gets enough chewing eating chicken and pork bones for every meal. Right there, she's setting up for a good nibble on her nibble buddy elephant, which is at least a decade old.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Our first dog we had for almost 13 years passed away a month ago. That timed with our neighbor and their dog moving, the dog we still had was really depressed. So we rescued a couple dogs last weekend. Really strange, the orange one is like a twin to our one that died. It’s weird when we see her doing things he used to do.

Anyways, sisters that were basically kept in a crate for a year together at a hoarders house. They’re crazy social and playful given how their first year of life was.

Izzy and Oona

F085376E-3BC3-4198-8594-19C915531B5A.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 12Like
Reactions: 11 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Well, looks like we may be on the downhill slide with mine, apt time to post a picture. She couldn't lift her head up this morning, and didn't sleep much last night. I ended up massaging her neck most of the morning and that seemed to help. Maybe she fucked it up shaking it off or something. We get the same way, fall outta trees when we're younger, but hurt ourselves putting on a sock when we're 40.

Then she was in rough shape stumbling around and sliding a lot on the floor today. Huge thunderstorm today, so I'd imagine the pressure change made her joints ache to high hell. Got some grip pads for her paws to help her maintain her footing. I ended up going over to check on her in a lull in the day and musta riled her out of a deep sleep and she awoke back to her life in pain and bit me and she yelped for a good long while before she settled down.

These things are not good signs for your best friend. But, she's still taking food, and was really happy to go walk to the end of the block and back before the rain started, which are both really good signs. Just fucking sucks, because there's nothing fatally wrong with her, just a lot of things mechanically wrong with her, which means I'm gonna have to decide when enough is enough, and that's fucking horrendous. I really had hoped it wasn't gonna come to that.

• 7Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Well, looks like we may be on the downhill slide with mine, apt time to post a picture. She couldn't lift her head up this morning, and didn't sleep much last night. I ended up massaging her neck most of the morning and that seemed to help. Maybe she fucked it up shaking it off or something. We get the same way, fall outta trees when we're younger, but hurt ourselves putting on a sock when we're 40.

Then she was in rough shape stumbling around and sliding a lot on the floor today. Huge thunderstorm today, so I'd imagine the pressure change made her joints ache to high hell. Got some grip pads for her paws to help her maintain her footing. I ended up going over to check on her in a lull in the day and musta riled her out of a deep sleep and she awoke back to her life in pain and bit me and she yelped for a good long while before she settled down.

These things are not good signs for your best friend. But, she's still taking food, and was really happy to go walk to the end of the block and back before the rain started, which are both really good signs. Just fucking sucks, because there's nothing fatally wrong with her, just a lot of things mechanically wrong with her, which means I'm gonna have to decide when enough is enough, and that's fucking horrendous. I really had hoped it wasn't gonna come to that.

Sorry to hear that man. That decision is one of the hardest I've ever had to make in my life and its been almost a year and it still messes with me sometimes.

I hope your friend is around for some time to come.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>

Everytime I have had to put a pet down I swear i wont go through it again. And yet, i keep getting new pets. Dogs just make life worth living.
Sorry man, sucks. Nothing blunts the trauma of losing a pet like a puppy.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Unfortunately in my experience, you rarely get a ultra clear suddenly dropping dead on their own or otherwise being like ya, going to pass in 3 days anyways do it now kinda thing.

Ill love other peoples shepherds, but after 2 I couldn't do another, so many health issues. First guy went early to fissures, worst case vet had ever seen. Then a few months ago our 110lb big bastard I think I've posted before. So much hair as well.

Course I didnt help things by getting that pyrenese pup. Went from 22lbs june 15th, to is now over 60 on his way to 200 or whatever. Puppy phase 2 short.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Well...sounds like I'm about to go pick my father up to go drive him to the vet where my mom has our dog. Lymphoma apparently everywhere, never had any signs. They gave him a couple weeks at most. His sister, Ziva, got sudden IBS a few years ago, and went just as quickly. I don't think my parents will be getting another, at this point. Goodbye, Chase, you big, lovable warthog.

IMG_1161.JPG

photo (3).JPG

128C089A-7794-46C6-8289-146F81F286DA.jpeg

• 9Solidarity
  • 4Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 13 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Went over to visit the parents tonight. They said Chase was going to be their last, though obviously they weren't expecting to lose him so soon. But darn if I don't get over there and both of them are secretly looking at dogs at the nearby shelters.

Otto

Fiona and Dora. Lost Fiona in May. Her back gave out on her and her heart started giving out before they could perform surgery. She would've been 13. Lost two of my dogs this year and it has been pretty rough. The silence when the doorbell rings is the worst. Dora has kept me busy and sane though. I believe she may be Dachshund and Rat Terrier.

Fiona&Dora.jpg

• 8Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 11 users