DE522253-6988-48BD-BA2A-F6E0EC586D2D.jpeg

E4B1C5AC-4D40-4C39-920D-46E150D5EAAF.jpeg

• 6Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Owned a beagle growing up, dumb as a rock.

This pup may as well be another species when it comes to intelligence, so smart

43D224FE-31DC-43B6-A061-7A5B70357DF9.jpeg

6942435F-50AE-4EF6-A56F-3BC52D048D4C.jpeg

2E7C9442-5D8B-4288-B835-861759EFEB0E.jpeg

• 14Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 14 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Owned a beagle growing up, dumb as a rock.

This pup may as well be another species when it comes to intelligence, so smart

View attachment 441956

View attachment 441960

View attachment 441961
Good looking dog. Is that a Papillon? Hot girl I lived near for a few years had one of those, and like most women (scratch that, most people in general) she did a half-assed job of training it. It was super smart at some things, but then there would be obvious training failures like going absolute apeshit when someone came to the door, or she had to leave quickly without spending like 30 fucking minutes preparing the dog for her departure, etc. Hers always had that nervous chihuahua shake too, but maybe that's just a small dog thing.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Good looking dog. Is that a Papillon? Hot girl I lived near for a few years had one of those, and like most women (scratch that, most people in general) she did a half-assed job of training it. It was super smart at some things, but then there would be obvious training failures like going absolute apeshit when someone came to the door, or she had to leave quickly without spending like 30 fucking minutes preparing the dog for her departure, etc. Hers always had that nervous chihuahua shake too, but maybe that's just a small dog thing.
Yes, its almost prescient that you mention this

our family got two Papillon females from the same litter (we were originally thinking about toy/mini poodles)

We spent 3 months very rigidly house breaking, she never makes a mistake now, and gets her business done outside in under 2 minutes. When it comes to training, this dog wants to listen, and she feels guilty when she thinks she's done wrong (even when she hasn't).

The other female is still not house broken about a year in, because the other family member did not regiment her training, and did not spend enough time at home with the puppy during her formative months. The dog, basically ignores people, and its a shame.

Growing up with a dog, that was insanely difficult to control, its frustrating to see a dog that could easily be excellent, have such poor behaviors. All dogs need committed training, and a stable household (my household growing up was a fucking nightmare), but this breed, and especially this particular puppy, took to it very easily. She wants to behave and listen. My Beagle was from a hunting liter, and had an enormous prey drive, and simply had difficulty redirecting her energy, or understanding commands.

As far as the barking, ours didn't and just started to now (we think other yappy dogs she's encountered have played a role in her territorial barking) so we are working on that now. The shaking is not uncommon depending on the "energy" of the room, e.g. MIL just lost her Papillion this Weekend, so we held a a little funeral, and everyone was sad. So our puppy who was at the funeral, started shaking and sat under a chair quietly until she was comforted. My guess is it was an encouraged trait in breeding, these are after all basically the original toy breed made for women to baby.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
PXL_20221121_181816285.jpg

15 years old and healthy. Love my Pumpkin Pie 😻

PXL_20221103_163947181.jpg

She started to get comfy and then realized she didn't really like the jazz music I had playing. She had to listen for a second to make sure she actually wanted to lay down and chill with me. If I hadn't changed the track she would have taken off lol.

PXL_20221031_164816060.jpg

A different day, listening to Opeth's album Damnation. She gets really into depressing music lol.

PXL_20221013_163702535.jpg

• 14Like
  • 1Barf
  • 1Harrow
Reactions: 15 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Finally got at least the front yard fencing in, still working on the actual pasture, but the donk is enjoying the larger space to run in than his normal pen. For now supervised releases while I'm working on stuff as too much in the front yard/shop area for him to get into trouble with. Wife posts vids for her family, but somehow one random one is sitting at 30k views.

• 7Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Goddammit. Dog is no longer in control of her bladder. Friday, the entire upstairs was absolutely swamped with piss. I figured maybe I fucked up and didn't give her enough time to do her business, but we've been mopping the floor every morning. She's fine during the day, but can't handle the 6+ hours at night. Doesn't help that carprofen and gabapentin seem to make her drink like a fish.

Guess I'm setting an alarm for 2am and taking her out, maybe I can stave off the inevitable for a few more weeks. 12 years out of a German shepherd ain't bad, but I was really hoping it wouldn't end like this.

• 4Thoughts & Prayers
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Fuck. She couldn't even make it 3 hours.

I guess Friday's the day.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fuck. She couldn't even make it 3 hours.

I guess Friday's the day.
Sorry bro. Is Carprofen the only NSAID that works for her? Cause I don't think the Gabapentin is causing the peeing problem, but maybe she's too old to go monkeying around with her meds.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Has anyone else who fed their dogs on a kibble diet seen tumors later in life? My last two dogs had them, one had benign lumps the latest had a very aggressive cancer.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Has anyone else who fed their dogs on a kibble diet seen tumors later in life? My last two dogs had them, one had benign lumps the latest had a very aggressive cancer.

Every dog I've ever seen whos fed kibble has had all kinds of lumps and tumors.

Zel is the only dog I've ever had who hasn't had those...and she has only ever eaten raw. Tenks tried to tell me 12 years ago that raw meat wasn't healthy for a dog. Kibble is like eating McDonald's 3 meals a day, pure fucking poison.

Sorry bro. Is Carprofen the only NSAID that works for her? Cause I don't think the Gabapentin is causing the peeing problem, but maybe she's too old to go monkeying around with her meds.

Yeah, there's no point. I was trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, but the GF went to bed at midnight and took her out right before. I had an alarm set for 3 and it was 10 minutes too late. I heard her trying to clean herself up right before it went off. Sister says bladder problems are super common in females with back and hip problems, so that's probably all there is to it.

SSPX0084.jpg

That kid is in 6th grade now. I guess that's about all you can ask from a dog

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 4 users

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
My GSD has been on Blue Buffalo large breed kibble since he outgrew the puppy food. 10 years old now and perfect health at last check up. We got a new puppy last year and she keeps the old dog active all day. Hoping she adds a couple extra years to him with all the energy and play.

View attachment 451072

alright, I will make an exception for blue buffalo. Seems to be alright, we fed both cats that stuff and they are okay too. But, after this 12 year experiment, I can safely conclude raw is the way. Her dinner has one fucking ingredient - Chicken. Her breakfast has one ingredient - pig. You'd do it for you, do it for them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user