Powers

Goatface

[SERIES][TVPOSTER]
flSpHJdC9HmUotm9kI8D4GjIMvW.jpg
[/TVPOSTER][SERIESWRAP][EPISODENAME]Powers[/EPISODENAME]

Genre: [GENRE]Drama[/GENRE], [GENRE]Sci-Fi & Fantasy[/GENRE]

First Aired: [RELEASE]2015-03-10[/RELEASE]

Overview: [PLOT]Two homicide detectives, Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim, are assigned to investigate cases involving people with superhuman abilities, referred to as “Powers.” Set amidst today’s paparazzi culture, Powers asks the questions, what if the world was full of superheroes who aren't actually heroic at all? What if all that power was just one more excuse for mischief, mayhem, murder, and endorsement deals?[/PLOT][/SERIESWRAP][/SERIES]

tNkGlY9.jpg

left to right, are Michelle Forbes as Retro Girl, Charlto Copley as Christian Walker, Susan Heyward as Deena Pilgrim, Olesya Rulin as Calista, Eddie Izzard as Wolfe and Noah Taylor as Johnny Royalle.

Set in a world where humans and super heroes co-exist, a homicide detective is tasked with investigating crimes involving superhuman powers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh, Deena is black now.

1231640-65_powers_8_02.jpg

Guessing she's a combination of her and his later partner Enki Sunrise, who is actually black.

They've been trying to get a show made of this for years now. Jason Patric was originally going to star on FX, I know they shot at least a pilot before. I really wanted that to happen because FX knows how to do TV right.

Powers (U.S. TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyways, this trailer does not feel much like the comics to me at all, it looks almost completely humorless. That's a shame because the comic was great, especially early on. Regular cops who deal with superheroes/villains. I'll still give it a shot just in case the actual show nails to tone better.

Goatface

well crap, i thought it was coming out before this winter was over, not next winter

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So today the first three episodes of Powers unlock and then another episode comes every Tuesday for the rest of the season. This is a slight variation on what Netflix does with their binge-watch from day one scenario, but at least they put enough content out initially so you can get a feel for the show. I'm sitting down to watch it with my coffee and will be back to comment in a bit but wanted to stick the trailer out here.

I don't know much about the comic it is based on (Never been a big indy comic guy... yeah yeah I'm too mainstream) but the overall concept seems rather workable.

So the first episode (the pilot) is heavy on exposition. They seemed to feel they really needed to lay everything out for the viewing audience in a rather hamfisted way. It was rather like two people in 2015 talking to each other after work and saying "so you recall back in 2001 on 9/11 when those planes hit both towers of the World Trade Center in New York City?". The second episode was much more even keeled and proceeded in a more natural fashion pulling in additional characters and fleshing out the situation more without being as overt. Michelle Forbes as Retro Girl is pretty fantastic

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It's a benefit of the paid PS+ membership, aside from that episode embedded above.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Above is just the trailer, but I think anyone can see episode 1 but you need to be PlayStation+ for anything beyond that first episode. Although why anyone would have a PS4 without PS+ is beyond me. All the multiplayer requires it and they give you free games each month including some of the best from Indy game studios.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There was already a thread for this, but it was buried. We'll get these bad boys merged!

Also, I don't own a Playstation and I can't find this show on the internets. GD it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Really liking it for the most part, even though it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the comic beyond the character names and a few of the concepts. Only real complaints are that what Retro Girl did toward the end of episode 3 was kind of dumb and I kind of wish there was more of a mystery as to what's going on. Maybe there is, but it seems pretty straightforward up to this point. The cast is great and the show looks like it has a fairly decent budget behind it.

Releasing 3 eps to start and then doing the rest like PSN is normal television is fucking retarded though. The best part of the Netflix/Amazon/etc. original series model is being able to binge watch them.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Thanks for merging the threads. I searched for the original one but came up with zero hits proving once again that the vb4 search function is just terrible. Episode 2 was the highlight so far, I liked where they were going by the end of that episode (first one following the original pilot) but then episode 3 went kinda retarded and felt like it was treading water.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
There was already a thread for this, but it was buried. We'll get these bad boys merged!

Also, I don't own a Playstation and I can't find this show on the internets. GD it.
Pilot is just starting to show up, I'm assuming the others will soon as well. I'm getting mine from BTN but IPT typically steals/copies/gets it simultaneously anyway, so I'm sure you'll be able to get it. If not, let me know.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
Speaking about comics, is Powers in the same world as Powers Bureau ? With the same chick character ?

Column_sl

shitlord
The Pilot was surprisingly good. All the actors did really well, except for the black girl who sounds like she has marbles in her mouth.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Was decent, could see it going either way tho. Had some good stuff along with some eh tossed in.

Column_sl

shitlord
Qhue is pretty much on point in his review.

So everyone that watches this at least get to episode 3. The pilot does have allot of setup. but by episode 3 is going full steam.

Reminds me of a mash up of Kick Ass, and Watchmen, and the better actors are really carrying the show. Nothing better then a strong antagonist.