Prank phone call ends in tragedy

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Please rename this thread to "Prank phone call ends in superior gene pool."
This. The woman overreacted to something that wasn't even remotely bad. I just feel sorry for her kids not having a mother anymore.

bamzal_sl

shitlord
The worst part is that the days prior to the suicide, no one gave two shits what the DJs did. They were just excited to have info on Kate. Then some nut decides to kill herself over it and now they want to point fingers....

Numbers_sl

shitlord
I don't think the DJs are at fault for the death of the nurse whom I feel badly for, but they shouldn't have been wasting the time of anyone at an emergency room.

foddon

Silver Knight of the Realm
The media is completely railroading these DJ's for a good story. Their making it seem like they verbally cooked the nurse alive and made her kill herself--their playing off the whole bullying craze. But that call was completely and utterly tame. I guess the exchange nurse got some flak from the floor nurse for not vetting the call before putting it through, but enough to kill yourself? If there was enough bullying to kill herself, it came from the hospital staff, not the DJ's.

What a pile of bullshit. Those DJ's got fucked.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Someone superior to her probably reacted like the royals are gods whose entire lineage she just anally raped and berated her for what happened. The media is looking in the completely wrong place if they want to place blame for this.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
While the hospital admin staff may have overreacted and given her beef the Royals pretty much just brushed it off, they get that shit all the time. Hell one fuckwit Canadian DJ pretending to be the Canadian PM got put through to the Queen once for a 17 minute conversation before he outed himself.

Shame that a mother of two managed to get herself so worked up she topped herself over it. Fuck the DJs though, ringing the Royals at Buck Palace is one thing but fucking around with hospitals? Not clever.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Reminds me so much of the stupid fag at rutgers suicide. Nobody cared what the peeper did until faggy boy kills himself. Same with this nurse whore.

Fuck people who kill themselves. As far as I'm concerned anyone fucked up enough to actually commit suicide did us all a favor by removing themselves from the world.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
This thread and the Oregon shooting thread are connected by one thing. Crude insults and dismissal of mental illness. Is it any wonder why people avoid mental health treatment when revealing your condition gets you instantly labeled as a whore, nut, 15 year old girl, and better off gone from the gene pool. Without treatment the pressure builds until you snap which can sometime have two very different results.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I'm glad she's dead.
rrr_img_2362.jpg

rrr_img_2362.jpg

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I always said radio talk shows were dangerous.
I know I've listened to several that have made me want to kill myself.

Wait, so she killed herself simply because she was embarrassed?
When someone kills herself, I don't think it can ever be summed up as "simply". There's obviously a lot more about this than is known, so I think it's really hard to say the DJs are at fault. Is there even really a definitive connection between the two or are people just jumping to conclusions because of the timing?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...-suicide-notes
One of three apparent suicide notes left by the nurse at the centre of the royal hoax phone call criticised staff at the King Edward VII hospital where she worked, the Guardian has learned.

Jacintha Saldanha, 46, was found hanged in her apartment in the nurses' quarter of the hospital in Marylebone, central London, by a colleague and a security officer, an inquest into her death heard on Thursday. Three notes were found, two at the scene and one in the nurse's belongings.

She was found dead three days after two DJs rang the hospital from Australia posing as the Queen and Prince Charles in a prank call which Saldanha answered and put through to another nurse on the ward where the Duchess of Cambridge was being treated for morning sickness.

The dead woman's family has been given typed copies of the three handwritten notes by the police and has read the contents, the Guardian has been told.

One note deals with the hoax call by the DJs from 2Day FM, another details her requests for her funeral, and the third addresses her employers, the hospital, and contains criticism of staff there, the Guardian understands from two separate sources.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Why are radio DJ's still a thing?

The whole affair is pretty sad, it's a shame that they tipped a mentally ill woman over the edge, but on the plus side, that's two less annoying assholes who think they're funny on the airwaves.

Flank_sl

shitlord
This was all over the british news last week. The nurse was being treated for depression prior to the call.

The hoax call was not live. It was pre recorded and screened by the radio stations legal department, before being aired. The radio station contacted the hospital on 5 occasions, trying to get permission to play the recording. No one at the hospital would call them, so they played it anyway.

It was the DJs first week on the job.