Predict the Summer 2014 Domestic BoxOffice

spronk

FPS noob
Box Office: 'Transformers 4' Scores $100M Weekend - Forbes

Michael Bay?s Transformers: Age of Extinction scored the biggest opening weekend of 2014, earning a strong $100 million in America and $301.3m worldwide in its initial frame. The Paramount Pictures (a division of Viacom, Inc.) release was a bit frontloaded (2.4x) but on merely on the lower end of reasonable expectations after its whopping $41.6m opening day (also a record for the year). The Stanley Tucci/Kelsey Grammar drama bested the $95m debut of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Of note, this is the first Transformers film to open on a Friday. The other three entries all debuted on Tuesday or Wednesday, meaning that much of the ?must-see? demographic was on to other things by Friday. Transformers had a sky-high 3.11 weekend multiplier ($70.5 million Fri-Sun/$22.6m Fri), Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had a 2.9x weekend multiplier after scoring a near-record $62m Wednesday ($108.9m/$36.7m), and Transformers: Dark of the Moon had a 2.9x as well ($97.8m/$32.9m). As such, a 2.4x weekend multiplier on a straight Fri-Sun debut isn?t too bad considering the size of the numbers

maleficent is the only real surprise for me, thought it would bomb hard but it did pretty well especially for getting poor reviews. httyd2 also did a lot lower than i thought it would

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Did 'Transformers 4' Actually Debut With $100M And Does It Matter? - Forbes

A mini-controversy of sorts erupted on Monday (Wall Street Journal) when Paramount Pictures (a division of Viacom, Inc.) released their final weekend figures for Transformers: Age of Extinction which put the film just over the $100 million mark. Rival studios claimed that the figure was closer to $97m.

I was asked to comment on this story by several regular readers. To be honest, I don?t see that much fire here. If the number is genuine, good for Paramount. But if it?s not, the film will merely suffer a larger-looking second weekend drop since it will be going off the inflated total, which will bite them on the butt this Sunday. But it does offer a glance at both how box office is reported as well as how accustomed we?ve become to once-unthinkably large opening weekends.

We?ve gotten to the point where Paramount may-well have thought their Transformers sequel would have been tagged as a disappointment even with a mere $99m debut...

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I find it hilarious that Tammy is doubling Earth to Echo's box office which itself is barely beating 22 Jump Street + HTTYD2. God this summer has been mostly full of shit.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
So far Transformers is winning the summer movie battle but both Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Lego movie have done better for the year and it doesn't look like domestically, Transformers will beat either of them.

Cap- $258m
Lego - $257m
Trans - $230m

Transformers took in $9m this past weekend and $1m each weekday. Those numbers will drop even more so the question is, can Transformers make another $30m to beat Cap or will GotG be the biggest movie of the summer?

Malakriss

GotG appears to be performing much higher than initial predictions. $90-100 opening possible with staying power.

Goatface

Total US Gross Summer
1 Transformers: Age of Extinction
2 Maleficent
3 X-Men: Days of Future Past
4 The Amazing Spider-Man 2
5 Godzilla (2014)
6 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
7 22 Jump Street
8 How to Train Your Dragon 2
9 Neighbors
10 The Fault in our Stars
11 Edge of Tomorrow
12 Guardians of the Galaxy

Opening Summer
1 Transformers: Age of Extinction
2 Guardians of the Galaxy
3 Godzilla (2014)
4 The Amazing Spider-Man 2
5 X-Men: Days of Future Past
6 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
7 Maleficent
8 22 Jump Street
9 How to Train Your Dragon 2
10 Neighbors

Worldwide Totals Summer
1 Transformers: Age of Extinction $1,004,966,000
2 X-Men: Days of Future Past $739,902,000
3 Maleficent $717,611,000
4 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 $707,815,362
5 Godzilla (2014) $507,222,103
6 How to Train Your Dragon 2 $463,569,000
7 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes $447,530,000
8 Edge of Tomorrow $362,141,760
9 22 Jump Street $289,861,000
10 The Fault in our Stars $263,197,000
11 Neighbors $257,014,000

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
1 Transformers: Age of Extinction $1,004,966,000

how in the fuck is that possible?!?

Malakriss

Idiots + China, that's how. I pray that Turtles tanks and Michael Bay inherits Depp's whatever it is for the box office.

spronk

FPS noob
maleficent doing so well and HTTYD2 doing just ok were the two big surprises to me. I assume Edge of Tomorrow did well enough to let Tom continue his epic summer scifi blockbusters?

hope GOTG has big repeat numbers, will hopefully drive a lot more epic scifi into tv/movies

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
did anyone predict transformers owning the world? i picked x-men, so i dont feel too bad about getting it 2nd place, but transformers is #1? the world is sure full of derpers.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I bet by the end of the year GOTG will crush everything else. Its a really good movie and worth repeat viewings. Transformers just has a built in audience, i.e. retards. The more disappointing thing to me is how ASM2 did better than Xmen.

Malakriss

I bet by the end of the year GOTG will crush everything else. Its a really good movie and worth repeat viewings. Transformers just has a built in audience, i.e. retards. The more disappointing thing to me is how ASM2 did better than Xmen.
??? Xmen was -0.8M opening weekend ($90.8M) and finished +29.0M domestic ($231.7M) and +4.2M foreign ($509.6) compared to ASM2

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
Guardian's passes Transformers this weekend and is only 8m behind Captain America for highest grossing movie of the year. So looks like Marvel/Disney will have the #1 and #2 grossing movies in 2014.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Guardian's passes Transformersthis weekend and is only 8m behind Captain America for highest grossing movie of the year. So looks like Marvel/Disney will have the #1 and #2 grossing movies in 2014.
There is God...

Malakriss

Is there some reason why GotG doesn't release in China until October? I know that won't bump up the foreign gross over Transformers but that just seems... odd.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thats a big wth. Guardians still hasnt hit china, japan, germany, italy. I would be annoyed as shit. Seeing it for the 4th time today, not because im that in love with the film but because opening weekend, friends bday, family, and now friends are bitching because they didnt go with me opening weekend because they thought it looked silly and now its all over the news/ word of mouth

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Thats a big wth. Guardians still hasnt hit china, japan, germany, italy. I would be annoyed as shit. Seeing it for the 4th time today, not because im that in love with the film but because opening weekend, friends bday, family, and now friends are bitching because they didnt go with me opening weekend because they thought it looked silly and now its all over the news/ word of mouth
And the idiots in Hollywood complain about piracy.