Pretentious Super Taster Fancy Dancy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I watch Chef's Table on Netflix and most of it looks like that, fucking freak show shit. I can't imagine paying a thousand bucks to go to a restaurant and have this giant bowl of grass and smoke set down in front of me. Or moose lip dumplings. Some of it is very beautiful, but just doesn't make sense. I think my expectation of super high end fine dining was that it would be this amazing food, and it just isn't. It's experimentation, it seems like.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Take Ms. Chaos to Kinship. You won't be displeased. Really good food but no fish oenis soupir anything like that. And price isn't terrible

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You DC people need to go to The Inn at Little Washington. It's the fucking tits.

Love the dude Cameron, "Cheese wiz", walks around that fancy ass old school restaurant with a cart that is a cow (it moos).

Our bill was like 800 with tip, cocktails etc for a 10 course Pre-fix and imo, worth every penny.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Welp dinner at the French Laundry tonight. I'm expected a great meal that doesn't even come close to justifying the price tag. Should be interesting.

• 2Like
  • 1Supertaster

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Welp dinner at the French Laundry tonight. I'm expected a great meal that doesn't even come close to justifying the price tag. Should be interesting.
Please provide an in depth review of all courses. Want to do it for my wife for our 10th anni

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Please provide an in depth review of all courses. Want to do it for my wife for our 10th anni

go check out the freaks on yelp for that. I'll let you know how it was overall and if there were any crazy highlights. Good luck with the reservation my wife checks (ed) pretty often and 5 or 6 days ago someone canceled theirs for the 530 dinner slot tonight so she snagged up. First one she's seen in a while although I have read that more and more of em are popping up lately as the post remodel hype starts dying down. I think the system is all online now, none of that calling in bullshit.

Siliconemelons

Out of all those food shows on netflix etc. the only one I would like to follow and actually eat is the one that talks about all the different type of steaks/cows around the world- and all the different ways to make steak.

The chefs table and shit, its all very cerebral rather than actual "OMNOM GOOD FOOD"

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Exceeded expectations. Mostly hits, a couple mehs (comparitively to the other plates). Will post more tomorrow still on cell.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Interested in your thoughts.

We've done the Inn at Little Washington which is basically the east coast equivalent for price to fancy pants ratio. Laundry is on our list at some point.

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Out of all those food shows on netflix etc. the only one I would like to follow and actually eat is the one that talks about all the different type of steaks/cows around the world- and all the different ways to make steak.

The chefs table and shit, its all very cerebral rather than actual "OMNOM GOOD FOOD"

Not steak-centered but you might like Mind of a Chef.

Netflix actually has alot of food/chef docu's that are decent.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So ya, it was a great experience. Wife and I even decided we'd probably do it again in a year or two maybe in spring or summer for a totally different menu vibe.

What we did was order each supplemental, but only one so we could also try the non supplemental, so on the supplemental course we'd have two different plates come out and we'd eat half and swap plates. Worked out best for trying the maximum amount of stuff, although for the "legendary" oyster and pearls 1st course which is served year round, i'd highly recomend skipping the $60 supplemental (for the upgraded cavier) because the supplemental is an almost completely different bowl and you don't get the oysters but a trout cake. It was really good, and you could definately notice a difference in the 'pearls', but the OG oyster dish was so amazing we instantly regretted having to share it.

I'd say all other supplementals were worth the extra money. We got lucky and hit the window of white truffle season so the supplemental white truffle risotto was something i'd never thought would live up to the hype but dang it was memorable, and I have a feeling they don't make any money on it looking at white truffle prices online. It cost an extra $175 but I swear to god they shave at least half an ounce of truffle on your risotto in front of you (seems like more than half ounce really but I doubt it was).

The a5 wagyu was an extra 100 bucks but it was really cool to try, especially considering the non-supplemental counterpart was lamb, and although lamb is one of my favorite meats it was fairly underwhelming as far as the whole meal went.

Wine, we said fuck it and didn't really care about the price so we told the sommelier to pick us out three glasses to get us through the three sections of the meal (start / fish / meat). It was all great but added a total of $300 to the bill.

Major highlights in order were:

White truffle risotto
Oyster and Pearls
A5 Wagyu dish

Those will probably be the three dishes that I can conjure up the tastes and experience eating years from now. Everything else was great, but those stood out.

Total cost was something like 1200 bucks, which isn't a huge deal on paper for us but still seems like insanity for a 3 hour meal but it is a helluva experience. In the future we'd probably opt out of the wine and not get the oyster and pearl supplemental, which would have brought the bill down around 800, although if you know it's going to be the only time you ever go you might as well say fuck it and get the wine.

Some other random notes:

Wear the lightest sports coat, shirt and pants you can find. You're expected to keep your coat on during the meal and it can get warm.

If you really want to nail a special date for reservations and money is less of a concern, just get a reservation for 4 (they are always available a couple months out). We saw multiple couples that did this and they'll give you more dishes (looked like some special ones) and/or let you pick and choose extra plates from the vegetarian (garden) menu as you go.

• 3Like

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
What, no pictures? Worst food blog ever, 0/10

Seriously though, that sounds awesome. I think I'm too much of a cheapass to ever enjoy a $1200 meal, just be thinking of the cost the whole time. Maybe until the wine started flowing though...

• 2Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
What, no pictures? Worst food blog ever, 0/10

Seriously though, that sounds awesome. I think I'm too much of a cheapass to ever enjoy a $1200 meal, just be thinking of the cost the whole time. Maybe until the wine started flowing though...

We left our phones in the truck. A nice few hours to completely unplug.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't think I would ever do this, at least not at that price tag, but it would be a fun experience if someone else was buying. Did you feel like you got a lot of food at least? I would be furious if I spent that kind of cash on a meal and didn't leave absolutely stuffed. What were the desserts?

Also, this thread title is wrong IMO. Super tasters are people like Noodleface Noodleface that had parents with no spine and grew up eating Kraft Macaroni and Cheese with cut up hot dogs in it for every meal and thus as adults say things like "onions are disgusting" with a straight face. Fine dining, while pretentious and ridiculous, is sort of the opposite of that.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Don't appreciate being tagged in a shitpost. They don't call it supertaster for nothing. Sorry I have a superior tongue with a more dense load out of taste buds than you

• 3Like
  • 1Barf
  • 1Supertaster
Reactions: 4 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think I would ever do this, at least not at that price tag, but it would be a fun experience if someone else was buying. What were the desserts?

Also, this thread title is wrong IMO. Super tasters are people like Noodleface Noodleface that had parents with no spine and grew up eating Kraft Macaroni and Cheese with cut up hot dogs in it for every meal and thus as adults say things like "onions are disgusting" with a straight face. Fine dining, while pretentious and ridiculous, is sort of the opposite of that.

Tasting menu's typically just sperge out a huge number of deserts at you at the end of the meal. I think it was 5 deserts (two ice creams, a fancy cheesecake which was my favorite, german chocolate cake, those fancy donut hole thingies) plus chocolates, caramels and a couple other little things. We just took a few bites of everything.

Oh I did forget that there was an end of meal fried cheese 'ball' type deal that was pretty ridiculous. Served before the deserts.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Don't appreciate being tagged in a shitpost. They don't call it supertaster for nothing. Sorry I have a superior tongue with a more dense load out of taste buds than you

I apologize if I offended you, but am I correct in my assumption that you would probably not want to eat at the French Laundry, even if it was free?

• 1Like