Prey - scifi/horror game by Arkane

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh I know. I would say they fucked it all up.

I'm not sure how marketable a true Prey followup would be so close to the Doom reboot. Doom reboot really checked off many of the same boxes as Prey original. (but not all)

System Shock style has been a pretty empty category for a while now. Even the closest fits aren't that close. Deus Ex is the only thing that came remotely close that I can muse ATM. (Alien: Isolation would be another - but completely different style of game ultimately)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Wait what? Bioshock and the 3rd are the answer to that. Doom, as great as what people thought it was, was a doomed stop start nightmare where assets were thrown together to pitch a game and some suckers bought into it. No thought what so ever.

Not sure where prey stands. But this game in particular sucks fucking ass (from the demo) because they completely fucked control schemes and also ruined the world interactivity that made Duke and the original great.

I spent ten minutes trying to enter the shower in my apartment thinking I would get that little pop up. Only to realize, not only was that not going to happen, getting little interactive pop ups to queue control in this game is a nightmare in of itself.

Where is ken Levine when you need him. :(

Vaclav

Bioshocks were RADICALLY stripped down from System Shock formula. Hell, most parts of all three ignored the fundamental of "alternate approaches" and railroaded you through a linear path (although rarely you could do a few things slightly out of order).

They were good games, but they missed so many aspects of SS.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So anyone jumping the grenade on this one? Waiting for the following:

1) Did they actually FIX the input lag issues and floaty combat they say will be fixed in a day one patch.
2) Is it worth it when it goes on sale for $29.

Vaclav

So anyone jumping the grenade on this one? Waiting for the following:

1) Did they actually FIX the input lag issues and floaty combat they say will be fixed in a day one patch.
2) Is it worth it when it goes on sale for $29.

I'm debating it a little still - I'm not entirely happy with it, but el wife is into it as well and she'll need more entertainment while she's adjusting to me going back to normal office work vs working at home and she was intrigued by the demo. (And I will say, muses I came up with second time doing it did increase my mood towards it some - like realizing there's an entire extra section in the first bit you can access by making a GLUU jungle gym to climb up [there's a stun gun and such up there], etc)

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Story seems ok so far from watching a stream but other than that it is a re skinned Deus Ex

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I plan to pirate it just from their "steam refund" statement.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Game is already released, and only found one review. 9/10, but will need more than one.

Watched some streams last night, and it reminded me of Bioshock with a Deus Ex: HR skin. Bioshock in space just reminds me of System Shock 2, and from the streams this is a far cry from the complexity of that. Just looks like another "move in a static line to progress story points in between rooms with loot/enemies". Story did seem ok though, so I might buy it eventually, but didn't really look like a day one purchase for me.

Still more interested in The Surge that releases May 16/17th. Lords of the fallen/Dark Soulsish in space could be fun.

EDIT: Prey

both PC and PS4 are still empty. Seems to get decent player reviews though so far.

Vaclav

Installing now.

And Droig, its definitely not linear, demo made it clear in quite a few spots.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Installing now.

And Droig, its definitely not linear, demo made it clear in quite a few spots.

I am sure he means linear as in you have to do this before that and story progression and not an open world game. Not "How you do that during this mission" is up to you choosing these 3 different paths we laid out for you clearly.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
They said they weren't coming out with a PC demo because Steam has a refund policy where you can return the game if you don't like it within 2 hours of purchase so they said that can be the demo for the PC users. Console received a free demo. Which makes sense to me but I can see where it would stir some feathers because Steam only refunds you in steam money, not an actual refund on your card, to my understanding.

Edit: Oops nevermind. They can also refund the purchase itself to your card.

So, really, a non issue.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Yeah, I don't really get any salt over the Steam refund thing. I'm waiting a week or so and if I don't hear any really bad shit for the PC by then I'll buy it.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Been watching some streams, game looks meh.

You really gotta bring your A game in a year with Zelda BOTW, Persona 5, and Horizon.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vaclav

Enjoying it a ton so far, and it actually is semi-open world, there's a little gating, but far more fluid for areas than most stuff these days. (Besides open-worlds, obv - far less gated than Deus Ex for example)

Difficulty level is brutal though, I'm playing on Easy (really rare for me) and I still feel challenged by it. Maybe knowing things in the longrun will make it more manageable but even Normal seems near suicidal ATM.

Honestly gameplay feels a ton better than the demo version - I wonder if they built it on a really old version or something, it's not a drastic change in visuals but the actual control is tight. And yea, I can't imagine this being a fun game to watch on a stream, it's immersive not really a "watch someone else" play type thing. I'd compare it to watching someone playing Skyrim or something.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
They said they weren't coming out with a PC demo because Steam has a refund policy where you can return the game if you don't like it within 2 hours of purchase so they said that can be the demo for the PC users. Console received a free demo. Which makes sense to me but I can see where it would stir some feathers because Steam only refunds you in steam money, not an actual refund on your card, to my understanding.

Edit: Oops nevermind. They can also refund the purchase itself to your card.

So, really, a non issue.

Its the fact if you don't like the game you have $60 being held for period of time from 24 hours to a week (in my experience with refunding games), that's my issue. I know there are a few other issues other people have with it, like having to front $60 to even try it.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity