Prey - scifi/horror game by Arkane

spronk

FPS noob
Been watching Lirik's stream for 2-3 hours and he has been running on PC pretty well, 100+ fps with no crashes or any technical problems. So good PC port it seems. Still, not really feeling any interest in actually playing - a WHOLE lotta "find X audio logs, find X small items" all over the map with quite a few jump scares still hours into the game. Its not terrible or anything but after a lot of fantastic story games the last few months this one that feels a bit weak immersion wise and heavy on the Ubi/Bethesda formula, just more fun to watch someone else play.

Visually the PC version looks a lot better than the PS4 demo I played, but I assume there is an actual PS4 Pro version that wasn't in the demo.

Be interesting to see what sales end up as, there really isn't any competition right now but then again people probably have a pretty big backlog to go through.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Its the fact if you don't like the game you have $60 being held for period of time from 24 hours to a week (in my experience with refunding games), that my issue. I know there are a few other issues other people have with it, like having to front $60 to even try it.

Completely understood.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Bought it for PC... figured why not. Liked to hear here that it gets more open later on.

Played it for around an hour, still in tutorial.

Seems optimized and very fluid. Very Bioshocky, but while they are not System Shock 2, I enjoyed all of them and finished them.

Good audio, but some odd repeats of the soundtrack. Can clearly hear the point where the mood music repeats, very noticable if you trigger a "scary" scene where you are supposed to fight an enemy, but go the other way so the music keeps up. Seems to be on a 30ish sec repeat.

Not sure if I will keep it or refund, but will most likely keep. Enjoy it so far.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bought it for PC... figured why not. Liked to hear here that it gets more open later on.

Played it for around an hour, still in tutorial.

Seems optimized and very fluid. Very Bioshocky, but while they are not System Shock 2, I enjoyed all of them and finished them.

Good audio, but some odd repeats of the soundtrack. Can clearly hear the point where the mood music repeats, very noticable if you trigger a "scary" scene where you are supposed to fight an enemy, but go the other way so the music keeps up. Seems to be on a 30ish sec repeat.

Not sure if I will keep it or refund, but will most likely keep. Enjoy it so far.

As I've gotten past the first couple bits - I've got a starting tip...

Pretend the game is linear until you unlock "scanning" - it really seems like you're meant to get to that point before exploring as freely as it will allow you to

[Doing Redbox PS4 route myself - with my pace, and putting off platinum until it's on sale next year or so - probably will net me a cost of $6-7 I'm guessing since I started it with a freebie coupon]

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
been enjoying Cohh's play through when i have time to watch. I'll end up picking this up eventually.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Played this some more last night. Enjoy it, but that damage though. Playing on hard, and even the most basic of mimics remove at least 1/3rd of a full hp bar with one hit. If they hit with their opening charge attack, 2/3rds. Phantom hit me for 2/3rds with one of their shots.

I assume this game will have lots more saves/reloads than a Bioshock game, especially considering me most likely getting all the environment manipulation/hacking skills before any combat upgrades. I hate missing content due to not having skills, so I always prioritize hacking/repair/movement (higher jumps, etc)/inventory in games like this.

Anyone further in that have tips on must have skills at first? I've only used one skill point (+1 to that carry weight thing)

Vaclav

For making sure you don't miss areas (I do that too):
Hacking 3 (most hacks are 1-2, few 3's, not seen a 4 that didn't have another route that was trivial to figure out), Leverage 3 (1-2 can mostly be replaced with recycler charges - but forcing doors has no other option generally), Mimic 1, Repair 3.

And you probably want the mod to get materials expert and autopsy once you can as well to maximize resources - its very easy to run low on a resource once you get the unlimited Neuromod fabrication plan

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Tried to play through the demo again and just can't get into it. I am not sure what it is about Arkane games. I couldn't get into Dishonored 1 or 2 either.

Vaclav

Tried to play through the demo again and just can't get into it. I am not sure what it is about Arkane games. I couldn't get into Dishonored 1 or 2 either.

I'd suggest if you can muster the willingness to chuck $1.50-$3 at it, try it via Redbox for 1 day if you're still curious but the demo isn't clicking - honestly, the first two areas are very lacking when it comes to the overall game - they give you a general idea of the feel of everything but in such a limited fashion it really doesn't do the game justice.

For starters, it doesn't even give a hint beyond the researchers treating you like a retard for your A/B/C answers that there's 3 more branches of "hidden" abilities to purchase once you're in the 4th area if you're playing it linearly - realistically probably about 3-4 hrs in - and mind you that's where stuff like transforming into a coffee mug from the previews even starts becoming available. Not to mention you start getting a real feel for storyline at that point as well. (Although I'm still not quite there - it's complex versus the relatively simple way it looks in the demo)[/quote]

By no stretch would I say it's a "perfect" game - it's got some wacky pacing issues (which does help the horror/exploration elements - but still, I like consistent pacing personally) and for how much you return to areas and such the load times are a bit unforgivable [reminds me of early Bloodborne with how much loading screen time there is at times...]...

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
How do you use items that have a secondary function like the turret? It is F to pick it up but then to deploy it, it is F with a little white triangle overlayed on it? Is it like shift F, function F, double click F - something like that?

Figured it out, have to hold down the key to activate the function.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
i watched the full stream of cohh playing the game, while there are lot of areas that really drag and are pretty repetitive / fedex-y, the ending is really good and interesting and cool for any sci fi fans. if nothing else I'd watch the first hour and the last hour of the game, its a great story imo.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.

So I am not the only one who just dont "get" Dishonored? Something about the games bother me but I cant put my finger on it, I should like it due to how much I like the world but the gameplay is just.... meh.

Looks like Im giving this one a pass until sales then.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So I am not the only one who just dont "get" Dishonored? Something about the games bother me but I cant put my finger on it, I should like it due to how much I like the world but the gameplay is just.... meh.

Looks like Im giving this one a pass until sales then.

Yep same. I do not know what it is, but there is just something inherently clunky about them all.

pwe

Yep same. I do not know what it is, but there is just something inherently clunky about them all.
Off topic, but... Dishonered was one of my best gaming experiences in many years. Loved it. Something about the colors and shadows made it feel old school in a good way. Triggered.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah a lot of people seemed to like it. After playing HZD and Zelda and Nier? I can't go back to mediocre garbage anymore :(

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
So, you won't play a great game because you're mentally handicapped and live in opposite world?

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So, you won't play a great game because you're mentally handicapped and live in opposite world?

You're a fucking idiot. Dishonored 1 and 2 aren't great games by any stretch of the imagination. Even if you liked the story line (Which I didn't) or the setting (Which I didn't) it still suffered from poor control and UI/Combat in my opinion. And yeah, after playing games that had effort placed into them to the point we saw epic design, fluid game play, fantastic stories, great combat, and fantastic world building and atmosphere, color yourself shocked seeing more mediocre shit releasing a month or two after it will get the snub because I saw, once again, what game design/publishing can do when they actually work their asses off and know what they are doing.

But hey, your next copy paste Assassin's Creed is around the corner in Egypt. Where people talk about not wanting to wait to explore Egypt, when you aren't exploring jack shit that is noteworthy when compared to real exploration like where Egypt belongs (A game like Tomb Raider).

And now on the internet I see people comparing Prey to Bioshock, system shock, etc. No. Not even fucking close. The level of world building in those games made them what they are. The world building in Prey is garbage compared to seeing something like this in Bioshock Infinite.

Or This...

In fact, those two segments have more effort put into them than Arkane has thrown together in 6 weeks of meetings about what to cut and why due them thinking a player won't care about it. Bullshit. Players see it. And it's this type of awesome that makes games stand apart. It's why this game and the games such as Dishonored and Dishonored 2 could have been about a thousand times better than what they were.

The only idiots living in opposite world are one's that would play Horizon, Zelda BOTW, Nier, and then go back to this mediocre hap hazard effort they call a game.

Last edited:

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When chasing a mimic into a room..........

C154912F961B2D9710EDA4555867029642CFEA60

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users