Problems at work

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I have been working at a job selling mens clothes for a year now. Higher end clothes.

The guy that hired me (the manager of this mens store) was a former co-worker and road room mate at a previous job. When I worked with him at the previous job I knew him to be loud and obnoxious and confrontational. Growing up among religious nuts I have become accustomed to dealing with extreme personalities so I took the new job when he offered it to me. The money was good and the work load was MUCH less then our previous job.

Over the first 5-6 months we had a part timer who was stealing sales from me. I am the only full times sales person and I make less then minimum wage+4% commission. Even the manager makes 2% commission. Most of my income comes from commission. The part timers make a base rate and nothing more. Part timers are support and are only meant to take customers if the main sales person is being overwhelmed. I talked to him about it many times and he never did anything to fix the issues.

Over time a lot of issues started to pop up around the store. He dealt drugs out of the back room once to a customer. If his sales were slow for the week he would send me home so I couldn't make sales. Going to far as to give me a Saturday completely off with my base pay so he could make sales. Keep in mind that this guy is a complete sociopath and just saying no I want to stay was not an option.

He messes with my clients from time to time. Clients that I would give discounts to he would grill about why they should get them when he was there.

When doing returns he would hold customers hostage and explain to them why they were wrong for returning merchandise.

So this went on for some time and I just dealt with it because the money was good and I had no reason to shake the boat. Then I found out I was having a kid. I started looking at things more closely and realized that eventually this ship is going to sink. The store will start to fail and this guy will throw all the employees under the bus to save his own ass. So I went to another manager from a sister store and asked for advice. He told me I needed to contact the higher ups immediately and that he needs to be fired.

So a couple days later I get a call from my bosses boss, the regional manor. He tells me that I need to tell him the truth about a customer complaint that my boss had against him. My boss had been lying to him for some time. So I said well I have some other things I need to bring up because things have gotten out of hand. So I spill the beans and the regional manager immediately makes a plan to travel to town and speak to me in person the next day. He asked me to write down what I had told him and that if it was all true my boss would be fired on the spot.

So he comes in and I hand him the papers. He looks at them and tells me that he was emotional on the phone and that he couldn't fire the guy and that now he needs to tell my boss that I told him all this stuff so that they can get to the bottom of it. He asked me to give him three weeks time to take care of things.

Working there turns to hell on earth. This guy is a sociopath, manipulative passive aggressive asshole and now i am on his bad side.

Three weeks go by and hes not fired. I'm asked to give another three weeks. Those go by and nothing happens. The whole time im reporting to the bosses on how this guy is tearing the business apart. After the second three week period I was told that it is now above this guys head and he is reporting to his boss now and that there is no information that he can give me except that it will be resolved and that I need to be patient.

So now its been almost 2 months of the most tense anxiety filled work environment of my life and I don't know what to do. I'm 4 months from having my first kid, 3 months from moving out of town. The job is close enough to where im moving that I can make it but getting a job anywhere else in town in the mean time will make work hard when I move.

I am seriously stressed out and have no clue what I can do.

If anyone is able to read this novel and give me any advice I would really appreciate it.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
If my sales weren't being stolen I would be making about $1,100 every two weeks for basically folding clothes.

The thing is if I quit today and he gets fired tomorrow I would never forgive myself.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
For 28k a year, IF your sales weren't being stolen, you should move on and find another job. You aren't going to fix that mess and if upper middle management isn't' going to fix it then your choice is to deal or GTFO.

Sterling

El Presidente
I would agree with everyone else. Find another job. Also don't forget to set the building on fire.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
The town i'm moving to is also smaller with less work. I just thought I would be moving with this job to go to.

I was projected to make $32,000 in my first year based on sales projections. The salesmen in similar stores make $40-45,000 for a minimal effort job. The store opened like a week before I started so its growing. Or rather not growing because of this shit manager. One of the reasons I took the job because I use my energy to teach BJJ part time on the side.

But I guess its time to move on and hope for the best.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
If my sales weren't being stolen I would be making about $1,100 every two weeks for basically folding clothes.

The thing is if I quit today and he gets fired tomorrow I would never forgive myself.
Too much drama for too little pay. Get out now.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Find a call center to work at. Sounds better than this retail gig.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I wouldn't put so much stock in how cushy the job is until you're able to support your family, bro.

Siliconemelons

Is that 1100 take home? after medical? taxes, etc? if so then that's usually a 33-37k year job while you are out looking for something equivalent :) So if that is take home after all your taxes, retirement contributions, bla bla bla then you are making that estimation per year... sales jobs are difficult when you have a bad manager that can sabotage your income.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Is that 1100 take home? after medical? taxes, etc? if so then that's usually a 33-37k year job while you are out looking for something equivalent :) So if that is take home after all your taxes, retirement contributions, bla bla bla then you are making that estimation per year... sales jobs are difficult when you have a bad manager that can sabotage your income.
Yeah take home after deductions. Medical, dental, 2 weeks paid vacation starting in two months. Right now I make 860-950 every two weeks while everything is fucky.

Honestly its mostly sitting around bull shiting about gaming and Magic or browsing Reddit. Its a specialty store so some days I may only see 3-4 customers.

My sister just bought a HUGE house, mansion-esq. Me and wife are moving in January 1st into the basement suite. Rent is dirt cheap and shes going to help with baby when we need it. She also employs my wife in one of her stores. She has several. Im not hurting for cash and life is great other then work.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Lots of people put up with lots of crap at work, but normally for a price. For a lot of money I'll put up with a lot of crap too.

By cushy do you mean not physical labor? Because honestly depending on your location I would think doing some sort of physical labor would pay more.

Got any leads/ideas on another type of work?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I mean I don't know about others but if I'm waiting around doing nothing I feel terrible and look for other work. I'm not 19 anymore, I've since realized life has a finite duration and I still want to buy more things. I would go insane in a job like that. It sounds like you're having a real crisis because the baby has started to take its toll on your thought process where before mediocrity and ease was the best and now not only do you feel like you aren't doing anything most of the time, you feel like you're losing control of the ability to safeguard your child even if your situation is a bit more complicated than that.

Don't get me wrong I know salespeople who make tons of money and are very stable. Maybe you should look for something that obviously will remove your current management issues but also allows you to take more direct control over your work and earnings, ie generate leads and manage accounts instead of sit around and wait.