Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just started on this last week as an SK. I was never a power raider, though I did do a fair bit for awhile in PoP, I really just decided to check it out because a friend mentioned it to me and I wanted to see what it was all about. What a crazy nostalgic experience, good Lord. Just hearing the music at the login screen or the Qeynos gates. Farming gnoll fangs in Blackburrow, EC tunnel full of people, griffins wiping people out in the commonlands. Random people saying hello or handing out free stuff to newbs. This shit really does feel like 2000-01 all over again, except everyone has a whole hell of a lot more plat than I remember. Seeing plenty of real newbs too, not just twinked out alts. I chatted with probably 2 dozen people over the weekend doing various lowbie shit, and every one was fresh to the server and had a story about the last time they played in '01, '04, whatever. Just crazy.

They just don't make them like this anymore. I think I have had more fun in the past 4 days than I have had in the last 5 years of MMOs combined.

Aus_sl

shitlord
Weren't you that SK who got to benefit from right place at the right time for some SK drop from the General we just gibbed in Kith?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
that SK shield in kith is pretty nice, especially for a newbie
smile.png
grats man

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i've spent about 20 hours so far this week trying to get a Staff of the Dreaded Gaze to drop. i'm probably going to dream about Kaesora tonight.

Aus_sl

shitlord
Lol, a few of us hit up Xalgoz for some fangs and there was a necro there said he'd been there for several several days camping him for the staff to no avail.

Word

Yesterday I came back to P99 after almost a year of inactivity, and I plan on going AFK again till Velious. Impossible to get a group 50+ as a ranger. No one wants to share the xp penalty, and I don't blame them. Why they made implemented that decision mid kurnak is beyond me.

Faltigoth

I did notice that Rangers and Paladins seem to be almost extinct here. Only a handful non-anon on at any given time, even at peak hours. A bit more Shadowknights, but not by much. I guess people don't want to go through the XP penalty bullshit anymore, hehe.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Paladin just wasn't fun for me. I've powerleveled a couple of rangers but they seem to just be side projects and I never see them again. Shadow Knights seem to be much more prevalent on the server. However, I remember the first few raids I went to in Velious were main tanked by a Paladin with some long ass polearm / joust looking weapon and that dude fucked shit up. So not that it is a dead end class especially for this server, just rare to see them.

penalty_sl

shitlord
anyone got a character they wanna sell for plat? I just cant stand the 1-30 grind again and have some plat left from when I quit

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
FYI account sales in any form were recently banned on P99.

check the announcements forum, it should be one of the like 10 most recent threads in there.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
my guild had a 50+ group with like three hybrids in it down at Efreeti last night....http://azureguard.guildlaunch.com. we'd totally take a ranger.
I was soloing with my 45 Shaman today, and not far from me there were two 47+ (one 48, one 50) cleric soloing. I get a few tells a day to group, so I think groups are available for people who want them. I think this server is obviously far different from live, as there are a lot of people who play it WOW-style which is not optimal leveling unless one is super twinked.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
hybrid EXP penalties are still in on P99 though, and the penalty is shared with your group.... so, there's a bias against hybrids in pickup groups. especially Rangers, sadly. as a hybrid you really need to find a good group of friends/good guild.... but thats what EQ is all about anyway, imo.
smile.png

pointyboot

hybrid EXP penalties are still in on P99 though, and the penalty is shared with your group.... so, there's a bias against hybrids in pickup groups. especially Rangers, sadly. as a hybrid you really need to find a good group of friends/good guild.... but thats what EQ is all about anyway, imo.
smile.png
People really over estimate the amount they lose with a hybrid in the group. Don't recall the numbers but its rather small, like 4% per player.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
an Iksar or Troll SK takes 68% more EXP from the group pool on each kill... that's the most extreme example, though. still, with two hybrids in the group, that's like adding a whole 'nother player. IMO its not a huge deal, but its more than 4%.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
anyone got a character they wanna sell for plat? I just cant stand the 1-30 grind again and have some plat left from when I quit
Pay a Druid to power level you. That isn't against the rules.

Being a glutton, I just hit 46 on my Shaman, completely untwinked. Everything he has on he either bought in that overpriced shithole that is the EC tunnel, or camped or got in a dungeon.

In groups, SKs are excellent with their snap aggro abilities. I'd say the best of any of the tank classes.

I'm not quite sure what to do now that I'm 46. The game was somewhat of a side project for me more for nostalgia. I plan on getting to 60, but not sure I want to join the raiding fracas with all the silliness when I did the entire gambit of it in 99. This server really needs Velious to be released. There's way too much of a stopgap of content going on due to the age of it.

pointyboot

an Iksar or Troll SK takes 68% more EXP from the group pool on each kill... that's the most extreme example, though. still, with two hybrids in the group, that's like adding a whole 'nother player. IMO its not a huge deal, but its more than 4%.
Iirc, only hybrid exp is shared, and even then it doesnt work like most people think it does. If he has 40% penalty it doesn't mean the group equally shares 40%.

There's a lengthy breakdown on p99 forums somewhere but I can be arsed to go hunting on my cellphone.