Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

EvilLurker_sl

shitlord
I'm now playing regularly with 4 friends. We are playing mage, mage, enchanter, bard, cleric. At level 16 we totally rock, but some of them are concerned mage pets won't cut it as tanks later on. Will we be much better off changing a mage to a tank?

The cleric wants to switch to a warrior in which case I will switch my mage for a cleric. If anyone wants to donate a little something so I can catch up to the group his name is Dorfin, dwarf cleric
smile.png
I'm not looking for heavy twinking, just a little blingbling to make my dwarf smile.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I'm now playing regularly with 4 friends. We are playing mage, mage, enchanter, bard, cleric. At level 16 we totally rock, but some of them are concerned mage pets won't cut it as tanks later on. Will we be much better off changing a mage to a tank?

The cleric wants to switch to a warrior in which case I will switch my mage for a cleric. If anyone wants to donate a little something so I can catch up to the group his name is Dorfin, dwarf cleric
smile.png
I'm not looking for heavy twinking, just a little blingbling to make my dwarf smile.
Long term you'll really be far better off swapping a Mage for a Warrior for that group.

I'm 19 and still in mostly banded with a cheap 2H staff, so can't help you with the blingbling lol. I'm just saving for spells. I'm hoping in my 30s to actually start doing some serious gear upgrades.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I said the same thing but he is pretty insisting on the warrior. He used to raid back in the days and I think he wants to keep that option open.
Tell him to do some research on the raid scene on p99 so he can see how delusional that aspiration is... I mean... Unless he really likes never getting dragon kills and farming plane of sky exclusively 1000000000000x

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Actually long term, I'd recommend an SK, unless that person plans to raid.
I concur with this. Ogre SK is the best tank for group oriented content on p99, IMO. The stat bonuses of Ogres are not trivial in this era; it's not just the stun immunity. He'll also have clarity always available, which is important for hybrids. (standing regen) The exp penalty for that race+class is rather significant though.

Spells just aggro more on p99 than they did, (or melee less) which makes warriors worse there. I played a lot of eqmac recently after leveling a warrior on p99 to 55, and my tank on eqmac has a much easier time holding aggro. When my group's tank went SK on red99 from warrior on blue, the difference in effectiveness was not small.

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone you force to be the Melee is going to have a crappy time. Anytime any of the rest of you want to play you'll be able to (they largely won't, with tiny exceptions) and thus out lvl them. The raiding scene is stupidly ridiculously terribly awful. There's no real racing, just raging and pretty much everything dies within minutes/seconds of spawn.
Plus douchebags, giant piles of used douchebags.

Pretty fun doing the leveling scene though until the 50's and the imposition of 10 kills equaling 1 pixel of xp. repeat 100000 times to get to the next lvl.

Your mileage may vary.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Anyone you force to be the Melee is going to have a crappy time. Anytime any of the rest of you want to play you'll be able to (they largely won't, with tiny exceptions) and thus out lvl them.
Actually I agree with this in a way; melee and tanks especially need to be supported by the group's other members. My friends and I generally powerlevel our tanks after our other characters get higher. We also work together to gear him. I think playing the game like Diablo 2 and leveling certain classes first then powering up others is a good idea if you're that hardcore.

Classic 1-50 content can be mostly done without melee, but once you get into planes or deep in Kunark dungeons you'll need some. If you form a solid group with the right classes and have similar playtimes it's not much of an issue though, but most of your camps will probably be for tank gear.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
Anyone you force to be the Melee is going to have a crappy time. Anytime any of the rest of you want to play you'll be able to (they largely won't, with tiny exceptions) and thus out lvl them. The raiding scene is stupidly ridiculously terribly awful. There's no real racing, just raging and pretty much everything dies within minutes/seconds of spawn.
Plus douchebags, giant piles of used douchebags.

Pretty fun doing the leveling scene though until the 50's and the imposition of 10 kills equaling 1 pixel of xp. repeat 100000 times to get to the next lvl.

Your mileage may vary.
So true

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
This makes me want to fire up P1999 again. I got bogged down being out of town/studying for a while. Next thing I knew IB wasn't a guild anymore. Any IB pals still hanging out around the server? 40k for a rogue epic eh? I think I might have that in the bank still...

Siliconemelons

Evidence has been posted to prevent pre lvl 50 MQs of epics. I've also reported there are required faction levels needed.

Keep calm and EverQuest on.
That's why the SK epic was soo cool, it was/is looted...so a level 1 could have a SK epic ;-)

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This makes me want to fire up P1999 again. I got bogged down being out of town/studying for a while. Next thing I knew IB wasn't a guild anymore. Any IB pals still hanging out around the server? 40k for a rogue epic eh? I think I might have that in the bank still...
IB just reformed a couple months ago.

The Muze_sl

shitlord
Anyone logging on regularly in the teens? Haven't seen many people pop on the last few days. Hit me up on Yyuck! So close to FD >_<

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Is there a guild out there willing to help out? Just started a SK to kill some time. Would roll cleric if any groups are going.
The grouping scene is pretty good here, roll a cleric and you'll be swimming in them. I heard there are lots of clerics 50+ so groups are a tad more spare but still good. I have been in Oasis for 3 days and we are short healers all day there.

Anyone logging on regularly in the teens? Haven't seen many people pop on the last few days. Hit me up on Yyuck! So close to FD >_<
I'm on as much as I can! Just got 17.