Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I wish there was a viable alternative, but i'm not seeing it.

Personally, i prefer to play the game in stints. It makes it seem fresh for a few months whenever i come back. I don't understand how some people have been playing for 3-4 years straight though. That shit is insane.

I have hopped around a few servers, 24 box on EQ i was super into for awhile, but I cant beat Emp solo so I quit.

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Rogaen was around Winters Roar / Shards of Dalaya back in the early days, and him/his friends were in Legacy for a time.

His whole group of friends were shady as fuck back then. It turned me off of wanting to play P99 (I remember when Hostyle/Shurley from WR got me on the Alpha server or some such, even) entirely. Glad I never took the plunge super seriously. Shady shady business going on over there.

othree

In the same breath, I'll go ahead and say I know next to nothing about what has happened. If they're legitimately trying to keep their server pure, and are cracking down on all this with a hard whip, then I tip my fedora to them. That's a whole lot of work to undertake.

penalty_sl

shitlord
I would be shocked if Rogean wasnt involved in RMT on some level. He definitely doesn't come across as a nice person when posting on the forums there.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Can't really blame him. If I was putting hard work into a server like this and watching random people make thousands and thousands of dollars off of it of course I'd want a piece.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Rogean could be making a lot of money by creating platinum and weapons/armor for people willing to pay for it.

othree

How many times would you be able to get a PM being offered hundreds of dollars for some game items on something you're wasting a large portion of your life on before those dollar signs were just too attractive to pull the courage from within to respond with a "No"?

If I was Rogean, I definitely would have been making some dollars all these years. I don't blame him one bit if he has. In all honesty, if P99 was the ONLY source of Everquest, I'd probably end up playing it seriously at some point. At the end of the day unless box armies are locking down essential camps for rl $$, which doesn't seem to happen on P99 from an outside looking in perspective, then my game experience would never really be affected by folks RMT'ing.

Flaw

Molten Core Raider
Followed these forums all the way back to fohguild when I was like a teenager. It is the one forum that I visit almost every single day of my life for 15 or more years now.......
Love all you bros

Now that I got that out of the way. In a world created and controlled by Rogean, the ability to create anything instantly with no one to answer to: fuck yes he is cashing in on RMT since day 1 . RMT Was VERY likely the #1 reason the server was even created.....Guarantee it. Cannot convince me otherwise. Love how anyone else trying to cash in gets banned and shut down for cutting in on the Rogeans share.

I do not care that he is the RMT God.....his time, his energy, fuck who cares.

penalty_sl

shitlord
So lets say hes taking in thousands every year.. How does he file that with taxes? Obviously he has to claim it somehow. And since hes claiming it out in the open with the IRS, couldnt the owners of EQ come after him?

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Rogean could be making a lot of money by creating platinum and weapons/armor for people willing to pay for it.
I've been thinking this for years. It would be illogical for him NOT to do it. With so much RMT going on anyways, he could be making a killing himself.

othree

I give the guy props.

For the deal with Sony or DBG or whatever it was called at the time to have been made, I would have had to figure Rogean's personal life was at least vetted to the degree to be sure he wasn't profiting off of their IP beyond maintaining servers, bandwidth, etc. So to put in the work from Day 1 to have a secondary figure receiving the cash on his behalf was just pure genius. It wouldn't surprise me if the owner of Platlord.com wasn't Rogean. Like I mentioned, the crew he ran with on WR/SoD back in 2004-2005ish was pretty shady; there was some secret RMTing going on back then with a few of the weirdo Legacy dudes Shurley and he ran around with selling items/plat to members from The Buttercream Gang/Phoenix Rising.

The involvement goes deep and was well calculated, I'm sure. He found himself a solid hustle in an age where internet hustling has been made quite a bit more difficult. And he's been able to stick with the same hustle for over 6 years now, with a few servers ran before that iirc that sold items outright for cash. When EZServer found itself in a little bit of trouble for the way it worded the item shop, he warped it into an even greater and more subtle form of RMT'ing AND was able to do it before anyone else did. Solid fist bump for that one.

othree

So lets say hes taking in thousands every year.. How does he file that with taxes? Obviously he has to claim it somehow. And since hes claiming it out in the open with the IRS, couldnt the owners of EQ come after him?
I thought about that too, and kind of touched on it in my last post. Obviously he planned this out very well, and had a second party using their name/SSN to claim and file on the money earned from this scheme from the beginning, otherwise I cannot see how Daybreak would have been cool with making a deal with Rogean and P99 getting some "official" status that it won't be shut down via CND from DBG.

othree

Followed these forums all the way back to fohguild when I was like a teenager. It is the one forum that I visit almost every single day of my life for 15 or more years now.......
Love all you bros

Now that I got that out of the way. In a world created and controlled by Rogean, the ability to create anything instantly with no one to answer to: fuck yes he is cashing in on RMT since day 1 . RMT Was VERY likely the #1 reason the server was even created.....Guarantee it. Cannot convince me otherwise. Love how anyone else trying to cash in gets banned and shut down for cutting in on the Rogeans share.

I do not care that he is the RMT God.....his time, his energy, fuck who cares.
Love all you bros too, bro.

100% agreed with you on all accounts.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I thought about that too, and kind of touched on it in my last post. Obviously he planned this out very well, and had a second party using their name/SSN to claim and file on the money earned from this scheme from the beginning, otherwise I cannot see how Daybreak would have been cool with making a deal with Rogean and P99 getting some "official" status that it won't be shut down via CND from DBG.
Or, and more likely, DBG found out just how much RMT'ing Rogean and his team were doing and decided to take a cut rather than shut them down. And DBG, while not giving a full blown license to use their product, agreed to look the other way.

All of which I'd have no problem with at all if Rogeanet al.would just be honest about it. Rather than continue to lie and insult the intelligence of their player base by continuing to claim, both directly and through their mouth-breathing sock-puppet Sirken, "no RMT."

othree

Or, and more likely, DBG found out just how much RMT'ing Rogean and his team were doing and decided to take a cut rather than shut them down. And DBG, while not giving a full blown license to use their product, agreed to look the other way.
Fair point, and could definitely see that as the plausible scenario.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Guy (Rogean) works his ass off.
A central figurehead for eqemulator for Years.
Does this in his spare time
Spends a LOT of time doing this in his spare time.
Hosts the Project 99 in a Datacenter somewhere maybe where he works at.

Guy is either Jesus come-back only for Everquest or making money off it in an intelligent way. Only one of these is likely.

Is Rogean even active in any online community? Like forums or twitch or actively posts topics/responds to anything? I know he rage quit rerolled after it got too hot and close to home.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Forceful Entry was such an awful name for a guild.

i'm actually playing a bit of P99 again lately, since i'm stoked that The Warrens is open.

once Stonebrunt Mountains is open too i'm going to get really geeky and do an RP blog series on the forum as i level up a half-elf ranger. having never really fit in anywhere, the ranger decides his true calling is to help his crack dealers -- errr, the erudites -- eradicate their kobold problem. going to take the ranger through stonebrunt and do all those sweet kerran quests (for Wakizashi of the Frozen Skies and that haste sash). untwinked etc. should be fun, i already have lots of jokes planned.
Welp, stonebrunt is luclin so you might be waiting a super long time. JPF is the same.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Guy (Rogean) works his ass off.
A central figurehead for eqemulator for Years.
Does this in his spare time
Spends a LOT of time doing this in his spare time.
Hosts the Project 99 in a Datacenter somewhere maybe where he works at.

Guy is either Jesus come-back only for Everquest or making money off it in an intelligent way. Only one of these is likely.

Is Rogean even active in any online community? Like forums or twitch or actively posts topics/responds to anything? I know he rage quit rerolled after it got too hot and close to home.
He plays a considerable amount of CS:GO, but not really any message board stuff. Uncertain about his professional life, however.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rogean used to post here... Well on FoH at least. He got shit on big time by basically everyone and eventually made a "I'll never post here again" post and actually stopped.

Also I don't think it's some vast conspiracy involving whatever company owns EQ now. I think it's pretty simple situation.