Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

penalty_sl

shitlord
I got suspended last night for boxing. Wasnt even in the same zone or grouped, just logged in my EC tunnel character while I was soloing with my other character, then suddenly I'm GM summoned and thats that.

So yea, they are definitely tracking that shit. I really hate the no boxing thing.

Stench

Golden Knight of the Realm
I got suspended last night for boxing. Wasnt even in the same zone or grouped, just logged in my EC tunnel character while I was soloing with my other character, then suddenly I'm GM summoned and thats that.

So yea, they are definitely tracking that shit. I really hate the no boxing thing.
This is actually the one boxing exemption I wish they would allow for. Too many scammers on the box, so much safer to do self transfers this way if they would allow it.

penalty_sl

shitlord
This is actually the one boxing exemption I wish they would allow for. Too many scammers on the box, so much safer to do self transfers this way if they would allow it.
Pretty much. I do a ton of trading to make my plat and gear so I do a lot of switching stuff between characters. I've been robbed twice and basically told 'too bad so sad' by the staff when I petitioned. The past few months I just decided to transfer with myself instead.

I figured I'd never get busted because it was literally a quick trade and logout, but I guess a GM was tracking me, he even told me he was following my trades ETC.

billymain

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
was quad kiting with my lvl 11 GNM WIZ the other day. only cloth gear.. all you need is sow and clarity.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
You have to remember that they put in their own code in the client DLLs. That code sends over all sorts of identifying information about your machine, so not even a VPN by itself is safe. Every machine has unique identifiers like your NIC's MAC address, so when they see said machine with a history of logging in from your home IP all of a sudden log in from Timbuktu at the same time another machine is using your home IP, then they know what you are doing. Particularly when VPN IPs can be easily resolved to give away the company name indicating that it is a VPN. Also keep in mind that your geographic location within like a mile or two can be determined from your IP.

You would have to use a box that has never logged into P99 before, ALWAYS log in from the same VPN on that box and never directly, and keep that box on a different subnet so P99 doesn't see the machines on your local network. If P99 sees two machine names logged in using the same LAN, that's a dead giveaway. Set up firewalls to prevent accidents. Even better would be to set up a VPN server at some friend's house (preferably distant friend) that doesn't play and route traffic through him so P99 always sees a home IP and not a VPN IP. Even that might not be enough depending on how invasive their spyware is.

I never boxed on p99 but I started running it in a VM once Uthgaard spilled the beans. God knows what they look at.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
If I decide to give this a try, how well can wizards get away with minimal gear? I always wanted to try one.
1-15 is the worst time for a Wizard, but throw me a tell on my 53 Shaman and I'll buff you which will get through the early levels with minimal pain.

Once you reach kitable levels, just buy SOW potions. I make them for several Wizards. If you can farm something nice, Jboots MQ is 7k firm generally.

I've seen FBE going for 4k, so time two spawns and then sell them for Jboots and you're Wizard is golden. Especially if you are Erudite.

Gear is important, but not the be all end all. I hit Beholder and a few lower level dungeons and hand the gear to people all the time. Just stay away from EC as much as possible as that place is silly overpriced.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
agreed

i don't think they'll ever allow this, though, so you just gotta make enough good friends that you won't have to resort to using strangers.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I really like the absolutely no two box approach, although it really would be nice to have an 'account' bank. Later games have spoiled me with that feature.

The whole point of this server is to be social and have friends and for it to be like old school EQ. I have had no issue having gear transferred, but I also know and trust a few people, plus have some friends from my old LIVE server there.

If I had a complaint, it'd be the ridiculous amount of competition for camps and rares. One of the reasons I avoided this server at first was due to the fighting and drama that we had on live. I find it amazing how much competition there is even now on a three year old EMU server. It's crazy.

korzax_sl

shitlord
I really like the absolutely no two box approach, although it really would be nice to have an 'account' bank. Later games have spoiled me with that feature.

The whole point of this server is to be social and have friends and for it to be like old school EQ. I have had no issue having gear transferred, but I also know and trust a few people, plus have some friends from my old LIVE server there.

If I had a complaint, it'd be the ridiculous amount of competition for camps and rares. One of the reasons I avoided this server at first was due to the fighting and drama that we had on live. I find it amazing how much competition there is even now on a three year old EMU server. It's crazy.
Old school eq, that would be playing 3 chars and my buddy playing 3 chars for a full grp. This server is far from classic. Classic allowed those people with money and skill the opportunity to excel at the game. Few people realized that our grp was run by 2 people, we were that good.

Elerion

N00b
Poopsocked hard over the weekend with a couple of friends (DRU PAL ROG), one of which has never played EQ before. Hit 12 on my Druid just now. People really are extraordinarily nice, we've received a lot of buffs and even some free loot in EC. Handed it all off to the paladin and rogue to boost our kill speed, but in the end I XPd way faster once they logged off and I could just get clarity and nuke stuff solo.

Either way: Fun. Hit me up ingame for some teen level grouping, the druid's name is Litt.

sticktastic_sl

shitlord
Poopsocked hard over the weekend with a couple of friends (DRU PAL ROG), one of which has never played EQ before. Hit 12 on my Druid just now. People really are extraordinarily nice, we've received a lot of buffs and even some free loot in EC. Handed it all off to the paladin and rogue to boost our kill speed, but in the end I XPd way faster once they logged off and I could just get clarity and nuke stuff solo.

Either way: Fun. Hit me up ingame for some teen level grouping, the druid's name is Litt.
Wish I was having the same experience.

Ive found nothing but assholes who want donations for sow in EC even if its for a corpse run, and dont give it to you if you dont donate.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
The server is 95% cool people and 5% assholes. A good chunk of those assholes are in EC most of the time.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The server is 95% cool people and 5% assholes. A good chunk of those assholes are in EC most of the time.
this is pretty true

venture off the beaten path to any extent and you will run into a lot of awesome people

billymain

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i pretend to roleplay and be excessively friendly to people i dont know. i have pretty much never been denied a buff or port i asked for unless they were afk..dont know who you are asking! you can easily PL yourself to lvl 18-19 without knowing anyone or donating a single platinums politely asking for hp buff/regen/sow/ds in EC just running back and forth to the tunnel, druid rings in West commons usually has a lot of traffic from ports coming in and out..

Elerion

N00b
Yeah, I'm acting overly polite, overly friendly and somewhat naive. That combination has got me every buff and port I've asked for thus far.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I think I'm going to start up a cleric this weekend. Is that Eru/Hum call of bones mask nerfed yet?