Project 1999 - Making Norrath Great Again

Xasten_sl

shitlord
Patch notes read to me like they changed agro to be nothing like classic anymore at all. Added to hate list simply for sitting? No. Never.

played a few rounds in unrest, their changes are absolutely horrible. Not like classic at all
They definitely need to adjust the new aggro changes, but many, if not all, mobs would check nearby players for KOS and add them to the aggro list just for standing around. Sitting was also an additional hate modifier. The approach they took here was to proximity aggro only players that were sitting which is closer to classic but not quite. The only real problem is that sit aggro is too high.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They definitely need to adjust the new aggro changes, but many, if not all, mobs would check nearby players for KOS and add them to the aggro list just for standing around. Sitting was also an additional hate modifier. The approach they took here was to proximity aggro only players that were sitting which is closer to classic but not quite. The only real problem is that sit aggro is too high.
I remember sitting to try and take aggro early in the game, so it was definitely in there at some point.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Undead used to hate it when casters tried to med against them, not so much other things.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Mobs had different AI scripts or variables; it's not just undead mobs either. Some mobs you could just train on top of people very easily without FD and others would stay on you when you ran them over people. Earlier era mobs tended to be very trainable, but in PoP they would stay on you. I recall pulling Emperor Crush to the zone in on Al'Kabor and he attacked some other player that got in the way (and who had done nothing to it) and I had to heal him off. Fansy of course would not have been able to train Sand Giants if they didn't go after people he ran over.

Shame Al'Kabor isn't around anymore for them to test these things.

Siliconemelons

KOS mobs would add people to their list for being near them every tick or whatever- if you are sitting you have an innate +whatever to your hate.... so if you "just agro" or social agro a specter and run away and he paths by noob camp croc 1 and a few of them are sitting the specter will check surroundings and add them to his list- if they are sitting and you are still standing their sitting agro will get them a round of attack- and back in the day of "real noobs" a round from specter hits on a caster was eather death or 'nuff dmg to get them to low hp agro- thus resulting in another +hate that is sill greater than yours and nother round or so of attack and killing them.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Shame Al'Kabor isn't around anymore for them to test these things.
no one has been able to explain the cause of the difference, but Al`Kabor wasn't quite the same as Classic either when it came to agro mechanics... (and other things)

and i often get a lot of disbelievers when i say stuff like this, but as someone who has played a whole lot of EQ since January, 2000, i can tell you for sure its true.

the example i always throw out isn't an agro thing, but it is something that everyone WTFs at.... the Nybright sisters in LFay dropped Rusty weapons on Al`Kabor, not Bronze.

and there's a bunch of other little differences i noticed in my time on EQMac. i wish i had written them all down.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
no one has been able to explain the cause of the difference, but Al`Kabor wasn't quite the same as Classic either when it came to agro mechanics... (and other things)
EQMac was a port, and was sometimes very wrong (resist rates, anyone?). The problem is no one has the code for any of the emus - EQMac might have been the best place for looking to replicate older mechanics. Plenty of things changed between 1999 and 2002, but generally there weren't too many iterations of changes; on the other hand, now the best deposits are one's memory (sit aggro wasn't this bad! I remember!), forum posts with great amounts of documentation (e.g., Brodda Thepp's parses on mitigation), patch notes, and EQLive.

Big loss for old-school EQ. P99 staff does a great job, and the player base is rabid, but there is no longer a resource for testing with how the game used to play anymore.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

and i often get a lot of disbelievers when i say stuff like this, but as someone who has played a whole lot of EQ since January, 2000, i can tell you for sure its true.

the example i always throw out isn't an agro thing, but it is something that everyone WTFs at.... the Nybright sisters in LFay dropped Rusty weapons on Al`Kabor, not Bronze.

and there's a bunch of other little differences i noticed in my time on EQMac. i wish i had written them all down.
yeah I remember my first unrest trip on VZTZ, dry bones and barbed bones dropped rusty weapons, I was like wtf.

axeman_sl

shitlord
I wish this shit was open source or had a single-player version or something. I really want to play classic EQ, but playing just one character is so fucking boring that I'd rather not play. I want to 3-box or even 6-box and I don't give a shit about having other players around, but there's just no place where you can play Everquest of any real quality and multibox. I'd pay good money for a P99 offline server setup kit but I know they'll never do something like that.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I wish this shit was open source or had a single-player version or something. I really want to play classic EQ, but playing just one character is so fucking boring that I'd rather not play. I want to 3-box or even 6-box and I don't give a shit about having other players around, but there's just no place where you can play Everquest of any real quality and multibox. I'd pay good money for a P99 offline server setup kit but I know they'll never do something like that.
I don't know if you've checked out Kildrukaun's Prophecy server. Check it out as it may be more along the lines of what you are looking for. It's not the difficulty of classic EQ as the mobs have been made significantly weaker to allow more solo/boxing advancement easier, but it has the EQ classic feel as far as quests, zones, classes, etc.

Kpemu.com

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Why don't you make your own server via EQ EMU? There are quite a few people on this board who have done just that.

EQEmulator

Welcome to the Everquest Emulator, An Open Source project committed to providing Custom Everquest Servers