Project 99 - Green Server announcement

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I've got the stuff for the 29 fire pet, just need the 24 pet word to make it. Mages are all reaching that level now though so they are getting bought up.

I might make the 29 and just not use it and save it to make the 34.

It looks like in original eq it took 2 months and 8 days for them to put more pets on vendors.

Hm maybe that's why mages were originally so OP? They didn't expect all of them to fill their spell books?

Was there more reasoning to the class imbalance of classic EQ than we realize? What is this shit?

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I remember them being a really rarely played class, and I remember thinking they were kind of weak compared to necromancers, but that's about all I can remember :D

I spent alot of last night killing greens trying to get the dimension word I need. No luck.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The line for the thex dagger :D Did one over the weekend while watchin world cup
Thexxin.png

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
these lines and lists make me really appreciate pvp servers

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
these lines and lists make me really appreciate pvp servers

Not usually a fan of custom servers (though I've played on a few that were great), but seeing lines like that make me realize how much a custom original EQ server is needed.

Just about every custom server I've played on either uses a client from well after the original trilogy or the admins fuck with the classes/spells etc.

What we need is a trilogy era server that keeps everything identical to original EQ except totally different mobs and itemization. No one knows where anything is, no one knows spawn cycles or mod strats, no one know lore and quests, etc. Maybe CB or BB is now an end game raid zone, etc

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Shards of Dalaya is pretty similar to what you’re describing but it is WAY past its prime, unfortunately. I mean I guess the classes/spells are “fucked with” but it’s pretty true to the original EQ in a lot of ways IMO

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Shards of Dalaya is pretty similar to what you’re describing but it is WAY past its prime, unfortunately. I mean I guess the classes/spells are “fucked with” but it’s pretty true to the original EQ in a lot of ways IMO

It was a totally different game than EQ. I actually enjoyed that server for a while and it was pretty popular, but, like you mentioned, they changed mechanics in some pretty serious ways. Way more than just spells- they changed things with encounter lockouts, a combat status, increased ooc regen, many more ways. It was cool- but it didn't feel like EQ. I'm talking about original trilogy, just shuffling the deck with new items/mobs etc.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Think I will park the mage till the pet situation changes. Way too painful to need to kill greens for a week just to have a chance at making a pet.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Think I will park the mage till the pet situation changes. Way too painful to need to kill greens for a week just to have a chance at making a pet.

Well this is 100 percent working as intended then. Everyone knows mages are OP and the creators knew mages were OP back in 1998/1999 too. They wanted to strongly encourage mages to group and that is what is happening, that or there is a natural re-balance of classes from mage armies overrunning the server to a better mix (as you are doing yourself now).

so classic

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The patience required and rarity is what makes the items in EQ so special

Not everyone can fire up and instance and get one in an hour

Feels real good getting something on a fresh roll up, and boy do the weak willed jellies get fired up

Hm maybe that's why mages were originally so OP? They didn't expect all of them to fill their spell books?

Was there more reasoning to the class imbalance of classic EQ than we realize? What is this shit?
the simple fact eq existed was enough for most to forgive a ton of stuff. plus, you always have to add in how iffy everyone's internet connection was. These kinds of disputes only happened later.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
UO was 2d, eq was 3d, everyone wanted to play 3d. it was 1998-99. quake 2 was big. EQ was 3d and online, just like quake but an rpg. Imbalance, no one knew how to play, they were worrying about killing this 3d rat for 6c. People didn't understand there own class, let alone how it compared to anyone else. When I bought the game, which was played online, I was led to believe that pvp was playing with people online, and pve was playing against the computer solo. I played till lvl 8 getting killed numerous times by people, not understanding what pvp meant. It was at 8 that someone playing explained it, and i switched servers to innoruuk. It was months before i learned about the screenshot function, and started taking screenshots. No one knew jack shit back then, we didn't know that the drop rate was low, we didn't know that they were gonna add stuff and change stuff, games didn't do that back then, they were released, and big updates happened 2-3 times in the games life. EQ was changing weekly, mostly bug fixes, but also content additions, quest additions, class changes. Just read the patch noted to see how much the game was changing. None of that is true anymore. p99 is trying hard to recreate the original eq, but that's really hard to do on a newer client that has all those bugs and glitches removed, QoL stuff added, and 1st person getting switched to 3rd person. So we get this, a project 10 years in the making, and it's awesome.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
the simple fact eq existed was enough for most to forgive a ton of stuff. plus, you always have to add in how iffy everyone's internet connection was. These kinds of disputes only happened later.

That's one part missing from the classic experience

Random and fairly frequent LDs

10 people going LD on raid mob engage too

Always happened

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's one part missing from the classic experience

Random and fairly frequent LDs

10 people going LD on raid mob engage too

Always happened

LD deaths... Man I had a lot of LD deaths. I can't believe how much time I spent looking for corpses in the Drachnid area of the Dreadlands. Still my least favorite mobs to this day.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users