Project 99 - Green Server announcement

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
How are live servers ez mode when they have to deal with the same level of competition except no bullshit FTE rules or favoritism from the admins/gms?

Because player characters are grossly overpowered on live servers and NPCs are grossly nerfed.
Live server have no corpse runs

I could list 50 more major differences between the EQmac era (and earlier) and the trivial shitshow that is modern EQ but its common knowledge. Well not all of it is, just a couple days ago I was reminded that something as small as Kedge Keep was made EZ mode on live servers. You no longer sink in the water and get pushed all around by ever mob hit in the water, and they removed all the low visibility gloom underwater so now you can see the shark from 10000 miles away.

just a endless list of stupid stuff like that because people cried over the years and wanted casual ez.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
I could list 50 more major differences between the EQmac era (and earlier) and the trivial shitshow that is modern EQ but its common knowledge

Oh but instead you just listed some biased opinions and visibility issues in 1 zone that no one goes to. I just thought it was funny from playing on both servers, p99 blue was some of the most carebear shit Ive ever experienced in eq

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Oh but instead you just listed some biased opinions and visibility issues in 1 zone that no one goes to. I just thought it was funny from playing on both servers, p99 blue was some of the most carebear shit Ive ever experienced in eq

I only played redp99 and I found it to be the fourth most hardcore server out of the four i've ever played. First being Ralloz Zek in 1999, second Sullon Zek from Shadows of Luclin through PoP and then Al'kabor (eqmac) server until it shut down.

I'm not talking about human relationship based server politics. I'm talking about actual game mechanics. The four servers I mentioned above are 1000000x more hardcore/difficult games vs. the garbage shitbox that they call Selos (or any other official server released in the last 10 years).

Modern EQ is trivial and too easy for a hard core purist like myself. When everyone "wins" no one wins.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
This list is a bit old. Let me know if they've changed any of these:
  • All raid bosses were granted the 'Mitigation of the Mighty' perma-buff which multiplies several combat statistics. This was implemented instead of reverting all the changes that made players more powerful over the years. NPCs without this buff are killed by players very easily.
  • All raid content is instanced, which means servers are flooded with raid loot and all competition between guilds is gone. NPCs do not respawn inside these instances which further trivializes the content.
  • Sony revamped many of the classic era zones, which most players find to be inferior. Newbie zones were made easier by removing NPC aggressiveness.
  • Store bought pay-for-power items like exp potions.
  • Items are not left on corpses when players die. (no CR runs)
  • Sub 50 spells do significantly more damage and in many cases are obtained at lower levels.
  • Hybrids get spells starting at level 1 instead of level 9.
  • Melee skill caps are higher, which increases melee damage and survivability significantly.
  • New (level 1) characters start with combat skills maxed.
  • Player melee damage bonuses are larger.
  • GoD era leadership AAs enabled at launch and granted for free, including a very large ATK bonus.
  • AAs enabled pre-Luclin.
  • Augmentations available pre-LDoN.
  • AC overcap returns are much more generous.
  • Pets are much stronger; mostly in the form of higher skill caps and granting them the block skill (which is very good) while keeping parry, which results in avoidance rates (31% before the def/agi avoidance roll is even done) that are higher than monk players, who do not get parry.
  • Monk fist damage is much higher than classic.
  • Two minute feign death full-aggro wipes.
  • GoD era tradeskill interface, which includes auto-combine functionality.
  • The advanced loot system is in place.
  • Many common NPCs have had their stats reduced to be less challenging.
  • ALL PoP era NPCs had their damages reduced by roughly 5%.
  • Underwater vision is much farther.
  • NPC 'ignore range' was globally reduced to 600 units; meaning NPCs will forget the players they hate after only 600 distance. (3x spell range)
  • Rampage and Flurry are a bit less threatening than they once were for a couple of reasons.
  • Coin has no weight.
  • Maps enabled.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't forget the out of era items and focus effects.

The game had it's time. Everything that can be done has been done a million times. It's not particularly hard. No one is particularly going to care about your in game accomplishments and the people still playing are to a large extent the scum of the earth.

I think the last time I actually truly enjoyed myself in EQ was on Al'Kabor before it shut down.

Imagine the rule lawyering. On the one hand you can't just let it go to pot, or people will just not do it. But the amount of rule lawyering that will go on from day 1 will be so brutal.

Meech

Molten Core Raider
That's the only issue I have with P99, and I was a day 1 player back in 2009 (did server firsts, etc). There is so much lawyering it becomes a meta-game in itself that I'm just not interested in at all. I'll be on Green, but not sure if I'll actually raid, probably just meme around with some old boys.

Siliconemelons

Rule lawyering was only as bad as it was / is - because mostly when nil+rog don't want to get involved then have to, and the whole xzerion thing that set a bad standard of GM favoritism that lives on even now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Penalty

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yup, the rule lawyering, GM favoritism/corruption, and FTE bullshit with poopsocking to compete at end game kills it for me

p99 is basically built for retired old dudes who can play 24/7 and have a fat 30yo wife that they can pimp out to lonely GMs for phat lewtz

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I’m sure the 14 people who would play red are dying to know

Red launched with a corrupt GM, completely broken everything pvp related, and a developer in the exploiter guild getting away with whatever they wanted (shocker).

There were 700 or so online for launch.

Make something that isn't a mess and people will stay/play.

Let them do blue first as a test bed, rather they had to go through the kinks being worked out on the timeline.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Don't forget the out of era items and focus effects.

1523848727277.png

recommended level 10 is hilarious, 6 str / sta, 9 agi and more, on lvl 10 monk boots ..

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Red launched with a corrupt GM, completely broken everything pvp related, and a developer in the exploiter guild getting away with whatever they wanted (shocker).

There were 700 or so online for launch.

Make something that isn't a mess and people will stay/play.

Let them do blue first as a test bed, rather they had to go through the kinks being worked out on the timeline.

Nirgon... just STOP. First who is the corrupt GM at launch? Second who was the developer in a "exploiter guild" at launch?

Red failed because people were not patient enough in the very beginning. Not having guards assist in pvp based on faction was a huge oversight. They all had rallos/sullon/and vallon zek to draw ideas from. If only guards assisted in pvp at launch AND there were race based faction hits like Vallon had , it would of softened the hardcoreness of launch a little bit and maybe kept some of the noobs on the server. Oh, and another big contributor to the early population crash on red was YOU and other random pks. Which is why we needed the above mentioned guard assist/vallon faction hits so bad, since you guys could not resist treating the server as another disposable thing to consume and burn down as fast as you could so you could proclaim yourselves the master of the ash heap you created.

I get so tired when people just wave away the failures of red to nebulous "corruption" charges, when if it was not for the volunteer GMs/Developers, red would not of existed or been a even worse mess. 99 percent of the people who helped were honest and loved the game.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Amelinda was corrupt, accepted RMT kick backs and bribes to allow people to get away with whatever they wanted and also on blue. Sundawg was a dev, corrupt and in Nihilum. He routinely would restart the server if we pushed timers or took a mob when we came back in Kunark.... after the whole thing with Amelinda covering for them exploiting dragon stuck in hallway not fighting back, this was real special lol.

If you don't know about that ask me. People fled that box. Custom xp loss on PVP death was horrible for newer players too. Custom and retarded along with the 8 lvl not classic PVP range.

Once all that got out, red was doomed until a relaunch with functional resists and melee code which it also released without. AC didn't work, melee hitboxes were gigantic, mage pets chained rooted people, you could whirl till u hurl spam players in magic resist gear, aoes would finish casting at unlimited range even if someone gated across the zone....

Much has been fixed and a relaunch would do much better.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
You were always horribly wrong about Arzak. He was in a small anti pk guild at launch remember? Spear of the nation , that tried to help and defend noobs. Only joined nihilium when what was left of his guild merged with it when your random pk guild got finished helping to run everyone off. This was after all this talk about wall dragons and what not ( that y’all got busted for if I recall). There was no intentional “server resets” and other non sense, you just thought something was up because he was the only one that actually played on the server so could come across things that needed fixing himself. Or did you prefer it the old way when hardly nothing could see through invisibility, druids could charm raptors , and all the other non classic mess? Instead of thanks you all just made shit up.

As far as amelinda , I don’t think she started out bad,but gave into temptation? Unlike derubal that had a evil plan from jump.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Not having guards assist in pvp based on faction was a huge oversight. They all had rallos/sullon/and vallon zek to draw ideas from. If only guards assisted in pvp at launch AND there were race based faction hits like Vallon had , it would of softened the hardcoreness of launch a little bit and maybe kept some of the noobs on the server. Oh, and another big contributor to the early population crash on red was YOU and other random pks.

Don't forget the first level 50s outleveling the rest of the server by abusing rechargable wands then using that lead to slow down the leveling process of rivals and camping manastones to RMT by binding at the eye and making guk a no-go zone for everyone else after a certain level because as soon as one person in the group was attackable they could expect ice comets on their head.

Also don't forget bolt spells ignoring LOS and acting like DDs which allowed mages to kill people through walls at 250 range.

Guilds bugging dragons to not AoE also becomes an issue when they can use the gear against rivals. It was funny when they banned the 2nd guild to do it who only did it after the first guild wasn't being banned for doing it repeatedly.

whirl till u hurl spam players in magic resist gear,

Whirl is supposed to have a random duration and a chance to break on damage. Sony/VI had capped spin stuns at 7.5 seconds on PCs, but I'm not sure when that was put in. (AK had it) Not having those in made enchanters rather terrifying. I recall getting 100-0ed by it right next to a zone line at least once.

Honestly though, I think red only had such a high starting population because people wanted to play a fresh EQ server, not because it was PvP. It was destined to lose the majority of its population regardless of the problems it had.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I had 90+MR even after Tash and would still be whirled and easy snared in PVP. In Kunark if I started casting a pillar of flame on someone, and they gated far away within the zone, it would still finish casting and kill them (any aoe would in pvp). It was really fucked up.

Haynar's resist/melee/hitbox work is top notch bar none and needs to be copied to blue/green for best of the best fights.

The corruption was blatant and the xp loss custom idea was brain dead. That's what killed the first box having a chance. Need brown99 (red+green=brown?). 4 lvls, single non primary/sec/range/no drop item loot, no xp loss on PVP kill.

Or don't make said box and all the people you hated on red will be on green.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
xp loss on pvp death was NOT custom, it existed on sullon zek.

Yes the server had bugs, all servers do. It still does not excuse the toxic burn it down crowd (that you and your guild were part of Nirgon) that ran off all the noobs instead of trying to foster a 1999 era community with pvp that made sense instead of the counterstrike with elves you played it as.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Incidentally this is what resists looked like on AK:

I didn't have much time to produce long logs (I started collecting data after the shutdown notice) so it's not a very smooth graph, but they basically capped at 196 and allowed for a 2% chance at max resist then bugged out at high resist levels. Not sure how this deviates from previous eras.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
xp loss on pvp death was NOT custom, it existed on sullon zek.

Yes the server had bugs, all servers do. It still does not excuse the toxic burn it down crowd (that you and your guild were part of Nirgon) that ran off all the noobs instead of trying to foster a 1999 era community with pvp that made sense instead of the counterstrike with elves you played it as.

It's custom for ffa rule set

So is 8 lvls

Lol NOT custom ruleset this guy

People like Tune and Slathar ran people off, you don't know much I guess

Dragonaut

Molten Core Raider
Red died because there was absolutely no rule enforcement, so Holocaust members trained and zone-crashed all the competition into quitting.