Project Gorgon, round 2.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
It looked pretty bad

You would have to play it to understand it, I think. Watching someone else play it is not how you get a feel for this type of game. The enjoyable part of this game is just getting totally lost in all of the game's systems. The freedom, the lack of hand-holding, and the huge number of progression paths are something you have to experience organically.

There are games where it is imperative that no one spoils anything for you, and this is one of them. It's best to just get lost.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
It looked pretty bad
Visually it's not that great, but the best way to describe it to you without you having actually played it is that it seems to be the love child of uo, eq and wow. Give it a shot, refund it if you don't like it.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I say this with a lot of caveats but I am really enjoying it and definitely have a sense of old EQ.

The graphics are not great but whatever. The sense of not knowing what to do, or where to go and lack of hand holding is very appealing.

I find myself thinking about the game when I’m not playing it but I’ve stayed away from spoiler sites to prolong the mystery.

I enjoy wandering around, seeing something new, marking it on my map for a hopefully later return.

It’s an interesting game but definitely a niche audience.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mick

<Gold Donor>
Most of the streamers i watrched playing this said is was not worth the $40 buy in right now.

• 1Like

nazon

Molten Core Raider
This game caught my eye. I'm pretty invested in WoW these days so I don't know how I feel about splitting my time between to MMOs. That and the $40 price tag. Does anyone have screenshots they would like to share?

Kenadul

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've been toying around with it a few hours here and there for a bit each night while I've been very busy and somehow it does capture a lot of what games over the last decade haven't. It's fun to wander around and explore and find different random things to get into. It also allows you to do what you want without being on rails or being locked into a certain discipline etc, which is a blast if you like to min/max and take advantage of what's possible. Years ago I wrote this off immediately when I looked into it, but I'm glad I was bored one night and bounced into this thread and saw people talking about it and enjoying it. If they continue with what they are doing and grow the team to fill it out content wise, this could actually have some legs. It also gives me more hope for what Pantheon can accomplish with a small team. If you're on the fence and the 40 bucks is important you don't really have anything to lose by waiting because you could just pay the game later and get more out of it content wise. If 40 isn't gonna hurt you and you're looking for something a little different go for it. If you're a graphics whore just leave and never come back, there's nothing here for you lol.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
So I've got about 30 hours into this now, I play pretty casually but the more I look, the more I find.

There was an AMA yesterday and I'm paraphrasing but I think the developer hit it right on the head when he said: "People don't like this game because of the nostalgia, they like it because they don't know WTF they're doing and they find out piece by piece that there's a rather complex layer of systems to unravel."

This game does not handhold you at all but it's not punishing either. You even gain exp for dying (in new ways, not repeat deaths) and there are rewards attached to death exp. If you die you don't lose items, there is no equip degradation, you get ported to the start of the dungeon or back to town.

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I and some friends played this pretty intensely back in I think 2015. Anything worthwhile changed since then? This guys should really expand his team now esp if he is gonna charge 40$ for it

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Tried the free demo today that's available on steam (the demo is basically a level cap restriction and you cant access some chat/social/skill features). The actual gameplay doesn't feel too bad, the combat is kind of unintuitive and a lot happens really quick, at least at low levels. I like the skill-based leveling system, pretty similar to runescape and there seems to be a skill for nearly everything under the sun so a lot of bars to fill up for those that like grinding everything out. Sound design is pretty bad though and the UI can be a bitch to navigate. Bought the "full" version this evening since I -think- I can get $26 worth of fun out of it but I expect it's going to be one of those perpetually stuck in Early Access games similar to 7DTD.