Project Gorgon, round 2.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Been playing a fair bit the last few days, and I have to say, I am loving it. It is a bit too much AC and a bit too little EQ, but it is still definitely the most enjoyable MMO experience I have had in a long long time. So nice to actually feel like exploring matters and to not be on shitty '!' rails again. Character name in game is Ilfeyn if any of you lowbies want to meet up. Just unlocked Necro so working on that and druid at the moment.
Make guild called rerolled thanks!

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Shit, if there's a Rerolled guild I'd pop in. I'll probably get cut off for a bit when it goes on steam, but I plan on buying the game at some point in the future.

Would be nice if they let us poors continue testing the game, though.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Look up decro, yuffs, kazora or sickerth in game if you need assistance or have questions with anything. We are all lvl 60s and toying with the (complex) crafting system now and do labyrinth runs which net the best gear. Tell me kazora referred you and they should help ya out. We are all old eq players (sol ro 4 lyfe) .We have a small guild currently (just us 4) but would be cool to form up something larger - a lot of the harder stuff at endgame needs more people too

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
There's already an end game?

Lol, I thought everything was pretty much a place holder at this point.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Name is harflers since you dickheads don't reply to tells I'll play with dirty old men.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Large Patch

Rahu: A Preview

While the new city of Rahu is in-game, it is still very far from complete. You will notice large stretches of empty desert surrounding it; most NPCs have skeletal info and others are missing. There were so many systems changes that a lot of the features of Rahu were delayed until the next update. But rather than delay the whole city, I've opened it up in this preview format, because it has a lot of skill trainers you'll need. Expect it to become a bustling and more interesting place soon!

Oh, and there are some things that NPCs may mention that aren't in-game yet: the sewers (upcoming 50-60 solo content), higher-level fishing, the Ankara generals (but I left a few of their level 65-solo-content soldiers on a hill in case you want to bang your head on them). In addition, most of the lore is not in-game yet. So if you're wondering why everyone is called "Evil", it will make sense eventually... probably.

Finally, I didn't get the map into the game yet either. But you should be okay since the desert is still empty!

South Serbule

The South Serbule area is in a similar state of half-assed-ness. South Serbule is a large swath of nature that is accessible via a portal directly south of Serbule Keep. It is a low-level zone and should be viable for players between Serbule and Eltibule. There aren't a lot of unique encounters here yet, but there are a couple of named bosses that can spawn, and an experimental new kind of quest. Expect more work to happen here soon.

New Special Weekend Modes

On holidays we sometimes turn on "Bonus XP mode" to let you earn extra XP. We like being able to offer special modes like that, but "Bonus XP" can't be used too often or the game's balance would get out of whack. So I've added a bunch of new special modes to try out. Each weekend for the next four weeks we'll try a different game mode. (There are more than 4 new modes coded, but this will give us a nice sampler so you can give feedback.) After that, we may try more new modes on following weekends, or we may give it a rest for a few months -- we'll see how things play out. This weekend we'll test a simple one: "Bonus Inventory Space". You'll have extra inventory slots all weekend.

In addition, all this week (and this weekend) we will run a second special mode that allows extended transmutation. This is less about a special weekend and more about making the patch less annoying. There are more details below.

Loot Rarity Changes

One of the most important problems brought up by high-level players is that they only consider elite/boss monsters to be worth killing. They tend to consider solo monsters "trash mobs". But while they may be "trash" in certain group dungeon scenarios, they are also solo content elsewhere in the world -- and not trash. One of the reasons for the disconnect is that solo monsters don't have good enough loot. I'll try to correct that with these changes to rarity profiles:
Solo monsters: Dramatically lowered the chances of getting common (white, non-magical) gear, down to 50%. This means that half of all dropped gear is now magical. Boosted the chances of high-end drops so that more than 10% of all solo loot is Exceptional (3-ability) or better.
Crafting: Revised rarity tables completely. Uncommon is now the "booby prize" and happens only 5% of the time. Rare is 30%, Exceptional is 45%, Epic is 17%, Legendary is 3%. (This gives crafting the best chance to get Legendary gear. Combined with Max-Enchanted level 60 recipes, crafted gear is once again the undisputed king of insanely overpowered gear... if you're willing to farm enough! But it should now give "pretty great" gear with a lot less effort than before -- see recipe change notes below.)
Loot chests: Can never drop non-magical equipment. Higher chances of exceptional and epic gear.
Group monsters: Note that group monster rarities are implemented as "buffed solo monsters", so the boosts to solo monsters directly improve group monsters as well. There is now very little chance of getting lower than Rare gear from group monsters, and notably higher chance of exceptional and epic.
Item value: The cash value of equipment has been lowered due to the significantly increased amount of magical loot that will now be in the world. Existing magical items are unchanged, but existing non-magical (white-tier) items will be automatically adjusted to their new value.
Expect more changes here! I suspect these numbers may overshoot the mark a bit, but I can't be certain until we have some real-world data points.

Combat Leveling Slowed Down

Leveling up combat skills now requires more XP. (Something like 50% more overall, though it varies by level.) This is to help fix a serious problem that many players experience: they level up MUCH faster than they find gear appropriate for their level. This can make the game more frustrating than it needs to be, because players aren't as powerful as the game expects them to be. By the time they reach level 50 and are still wearing level 35 gear, the game can feel extremely punishing.

I've tried other approaches to fixing this in the past (such as adding NPCs who barter monster-bits for equipment), and that helped, but wasn't enough. So this update tries a two-pronged attack: I'm giving out significantly better solo loot (see above), and I'm slowing down leveling so you have more chances to find that loot. I'll keep monitoring to see if this improves the issue enough, or if other side-effects need addressing.

As always, when XP requirements change, your current level stays the same. Only the XP needed to earn new levels has increased.

Combat Duration Extended

I took another step in the effort to slow down the pace of combat a bit -- without breaking everything else. Since I've just buffed solo monster loot dramatically, it made sense to focus on solo monsters today. Solo monsters now have about 20% more health and a tiny bit (< 5%) more armor than before. (Elites and bosses are affected too because they're implemented as "Solo Monsters Plus Extra Stuff", but the relative change is small for them.)

Solo monsters are also worth about 20% more XP, so that the amount of XP you earn per hour should be about the same... BUT I also found and fixed many bugs in monsters' XP tables, which means individual monsters may be higher or lower than before. So on average, their value is about 20% higher.

This is actually a fairly conservative change to monsters and I expect to buff solo monsters more than this after all the dust settles. But mid-level players may be particularly hampered by this change because those players are often underpowered due to the lack of solo-accessible gear in those levels (which I'm also trying to fix in this update!). Keep in mind that monsters drop much better loot now, so don't get too discouraged. You may need to drop back to weaker monsters for a little bit -- but not for too long.

Note that player pets are implemented as monsters, so their health has also been increased. This is an UNINTENDED side effect that I just haven't had time to correct yet. (More pet changes and improvements will be coming in a future update!)

Spawn Rates Lowered

In conjunction with adding health to monsters, spawn rates in dungeons were also slowed down. All soloable dungeons and many group dungeons were affected, including the Goblin Dungeons, Necromancer's Tower (including some spawns in the later areas), Wolf Cave (including parts of the lower area where there's lots of solo-ish monsters), Mino Maze (top area where rakshasas spawn), Yeti Caves (including lower areas), Myconian Cave, Brain Bug Cave, Serbule Crypt, and Carpal Tunnels ("Under the Hand"). Some spawners in group areas were also slowed down, depending on the spawn composition, feedback I've heard, and whimsy, but the focus was on solo spawns.

Changing spawners is not a science at all. It's just guesswork, because the current spawner tech can only have one spawn speed no matter how many players are in the dungeon. So it will always be the case that spawns tend to be a bit too fast if you're alone, but too slow if there's lots of people in the dungeon. There's no way to fix the spawn rate for all cases at the moment, so I just have to fudge it based on how busy I think a dungeon will be. I do have new tech to address this by dynamically changing spawn speed, but it's not ready to go live yet. It had to be cut from this update. Soon, though!

If you feel a solo dungeon's spawn rate is now dramatically too fast or too slow, please let us know!

Treasure Effects Changed

As described in a recent forum post, most treasure effects were changed in this update. This will continue to happen periodically as our formulas and metrics slowly become more sophisticated. (I'm not currently expecting changes of this magnitude again for at least a little while, as I'll be focusing on other things first... but who knows.) In general, treasure effects for abilities with long cooldown timers (12-second or longer) are weaker. Treasure effects with 10-second or shorter cooldown timers are stronger.

This change is actually a net buff to gear overall -- a BIG net buff! But many of the popular gear effects from pre-update were nerfed. Low/mid-level players will probably not be particularly impacted one way or the other, but high level players who have put fancy gear sets together may be sad. So in order to help high-level players explore the new gear mods, we're trying something special: all this week we will be running a new 'event'. During the event, transmuting items will cost no durability from the item. (It still costs phlogiston.) Combined with some fixes to the transmutation logic to keep items from becoming repeatedly-demoted, this should let you get a reasonable set of gear back in working order again.

Several things to note:

Pay attention! The transmutation table will correctly indicate the durability cost. So if it doesn't say "-0 durability", the event isn't enabled! It will be enabled a little while after the patch is live.
There are various experimental monster changes that you may want to take into account when creating gear sets. Read all the patch notes for details.
Many treasure effects were rewritten entirely. (See the notes below.) Others weren't "technically" rewritten, but their numbers have changed so much that they might as well be new mods. So even for effects that aren't listed below, pay attention to the details of effects.

Combat Wisdom

Combat Wisdom is a new kind of "spendable XP". It's primarily earned by grouping, although you can earn small amounts of it by soloing as well. Boss monsters give a few points of Combat Wisdom the first time you kill them in any 3-hour period. Elite monsters also have a chance to give a point of Combat Wisdom (the higher level, the better the chance). Certain soloable named monsters also give small amounts of Combat Wisdom, but not more than once per 24 hours.

You can earn Combat Wisdom now, but you can't spend it yet -- that part's been delayed until a future update. But I figured there's no harm in letting you start collecting it now!

Combat Wisdom will eventually be used for specialized ability tiers. For instance, for 600 Combat Wisdom you might be able to unlock Master Barrage 1, which is a version of Barrage that's about 10% better than the regular Barrage 5. And then later you could buy the upgrade, Master Barrage 2, which is better than Barrage 6, etc. This is a slow-powering system that isn't going to make your character dramatically better. One goal is to let you further specialize your character: while you might invest in Master Riposte ability ranks, another swordsman might invest in Master Hacking Blade, and at high level you'll each have slightly different combat styles and gear setups.

(By the way, if you've ever wondered why so much gear has percentage boosts like "deals +X% damage" instead of just giving a flat number, this is one of the reasons why! Even though the specialized versions of these abilities are only modestly better than the usual versions, that difference can be multiplied with the right gear.)

But as I mentioned, there's not yet any way to spend these points. I'm still experimenting with the best way to handle that part. So stay tuned!

Evasion and Accuracy

The evasion experiment from the previous update has ended and it's pretty universal that players are not able to tolerate general Evasion very well -- it feels random and uncontrollable and punitive. So the "bulk" Evasion has been removed from monsters.

A few types of monsters still have Evasion, though, because I think it's a useful mechanic to add diversity to the game. The trick is that evasion needs to be more manageable in order to be an interesting mechanic. So there are now two ways to control evasion. The new stat "Accuracy" directly cuts down Evasion. For example, if a monster has, say 10% evasion, then 10 Accuracy would nullify it, allowing you to always hit. The following abilities now have some amount of Accuracy built into them:
Precision Pierce
Aimed Shot
Cobra Strike
Ridicule
Strategic Chomp
Strategic Thrust
Ice Spear
In addition, certain pieces of equipment add Accuracy to other abilities. Unarmed is probably the current king of Accuracy -- they can find equipment that gives strong skill-wide accuracy buffs.

The other way to counter Evasion is with Stuns. A stunned monster loses all Evasion for 5 seconds. Note that even if a stun is reduced due to diminishing returns, the Evasion-disabling part still lasts 5 seconds. So constantly stunning a monster will render it unable to evade. And perhaps more pragmatically, you can always lead with a stun before using your heavy-hitter ability to bypass Evasion. (And as usual, this change works on players too -- if you're stunned, you lose any Evasion buffs from armor.)

The following monster types are the only ones with any Evasion. (Note that their other stats or abilities were lowered, so some of these monsters are probably more dangerous than before, but not INSANELY so.)
Basilisks
Fairy Healers (e.g. Autumn Healer, Fairy Heal Slave, etc.)
Ranalan Warriors (which needed reworking anyway)
Ghosts
Deinonychuses. Deinonychi? The little jumpy dinosaurs
Rats (including pet rats)
If you are Evaded by any other kind of monster, you should report it!

To help test evasion in a controlled environment, there are new "Evasive Target Dummies" in the Serbule keep (where the training-golem guy is). These dummies have 20% evasion, so an ability with Accuracy +20 should completely bypass their evasion.

Regeneration and DoTs

Regeneration was once heavily used by many monsters (and all bosses!) but it wasn't very fun because there was no way to counteract it. Since then, regeneration has only been used by a couple of creatures in the game (mainly hook beasts and slimes). But regeneration is a useful way to add diversity to combat. It just needs a way to counteract it. So in this update, regeneration can now be countered by damage-over-time effects, on a point-for-point basis.

The way it works is this: Monsters regenerate every 5 seconds. On that 5-second mark, all damage-over-time that was done to the monster during the last 5 seconds is subtracted from the amount it regenerates. So if your Hacking Blade deals 80 damage over 4 seconds, that will cancel out 80 points worth of the monster's health regeneration -- in addition to the 80 points of damage it already did! This means that damage-over-time attacks effectively do double damage against regenerating creatures.

The following monster types now have some amount of regeneration. (Note that in most cases their base stats were reduced to counter-balance for this change.)
Slimes
Hook Beasts
Dragon Worms (but note that they were nerfed in general, as they were too powerful before)
Elementals
Slugs
Snails (but they can no longer cast heal on themselves, see below)
Striga

A few additional notes:
I used the term "damage-over-time" because it's a well-known term, but technically, all "indirect" damage works. Indirect damage is any damage that doesn't happen immediately from an attack. Other kinds of indirect damage include damage-reflection (e.g. Brambleskin, Fire Reflection Potions, etc.) and delayed-damage (e.g. "This attack deals 100 damage after a 20 second delay.")
Because this is a systemic change, it also applies to players' regeneration. If you have equipment that boosts your "Health Regeneration (In-Combat)", your regeneration will be reduced by any damage-over-time effects you've suffered during the past 5 seconds. (Note that by default, players have no in-combat regeneration unless they have items or abilities that provide it.)
This change only applies to in-combat regeneration; out-of-combat regeneration is not affected.
Armor regeneration works the same way, but is tallied separately: armor-damage-over-time reduces in-combat armor regeneration. However, it's pretty moot because armor regeneration is not used by any monsters at the moment. (The Rhino Guardian in the Serbule Crypt used to have armor regeneration, but it was removed.)
Snails used to be able to heal their health and armor when their rage-meter was full. The health-healing part has been replaced by health-regen, and armor-healing has been replaced by dense armor (see below).
This change is an experiment and is subject to change or removal! At the very least I expect we'll need to tweak the regeneration rates up or down for various monsters. Feedback is very much needed here!

Dense Armor

There are many loot items in the game which can quickly remove a lot of armor. At high level these are less desirable, because they're perceived as "damage that only works until the monster's armor runs out". In order to make armor-removal abilities just a bit more valuable, while also adding more monster diversity, we are adding the concept of "dense armor".

Certain monsters now have extra-dense armor. This means that they have additional damage mitigation based on their remaining armor. The normal formula (which players also use) is unchanged: 1 damage mitigation for every 25 points of armor remaining. But these special monsters instead have1 mitigation for every 10-20 points of armor remaining. As a result, quickly removing these monsters' armor will greatly speed up their demise.

The following types of monsters have dense armor (with changes to some of their other stats to counterbalance):
Rhinos
Some Spiders (most of the stunning-type and boss-type, but not poisoning-type)
Watchers
Urak
Snails (replacing their armor-heal power)
Scorpions
Some Skeletons (such as "Invincible Warrior" and "Immortal Bulwark")
This change is hard to handle at low level -- either it's irrelevant or way too dangerous -- so it hasn't been used too much. Higher level players have more ways to counteract this, so we'll probably use it on more higher-level monsters going forward. Again, this is an experiment -- expect changes here and please provide feedback!

Transmutation Changes
Previously there was a chance that a transmuted enchantment would be lower-level than its predecessor, and future transmutations might make that lower still, creating a "death spiral" for the item's quality. This can no longer happen -- the level is rolled from scratch with each transmutation, so even if one roll has a lower level, the next roll has the same chance as the original item to be higher level.
The cost of transmutation has been raised. Adding a non-skill-specific power costs 15 phlogiston (instead of 10). Adding a skill-specific power costs 35 phlogiston (instead of 20). This reflects the increased amount of magical loot in the world (see above) as well compensating for the removed danger of permanently lowering the item's enchantment levels.
The amount of phlogiston you get from transmuting high-rarity items has been raised. (Not a lot of people do that, but hey, if you have to do that, it should get you a bit more phlog!)
During this week only, transmutation will not consume durability from the item.

Speed Changes - A Work in Progress

There are two reasons to want to move fast: to get around the world quickly, or to outmaneuver monsters. The current system of buffs has made it very hard to let me boost the former without seriously overpowering the latter. This is a complex problem, and most of the planned work on this problem has been postponed from this update, but there were some preparatory changes that made it into the update.
There's a new attribute called "Out-of-Combat Movement Speed", which applies while you're sprinting, but it turns off if you attack or get attacked. (It's not precisely synched up with the "in-combat" icon in game -- it's a little bit more lenient.) A couple of treasure effects were revised to use this new stat. (See "Treasure Change Specifics", below.)
"Extra Toes" no longer stacks with alchemy run-speed buffs. (Strong alchemical potions override Extra Toes, and weaker ones are hidden by it.)
"Haste Concoction" now affects sprint speed, not movement speed, and it no longer stacks with itself (e.g. from both player and golem at the same time, or from multiple players+golems). Weaker Haste Concoctions are hidden by stronger ones.

Taunt Changes

First, there's a terminology change here. Many abilities and items had really long descriptions like: "Taunts the enemy as if it did 400 more damage than it did." That is now simplified to "Taunts +400." De-taunts have similarly short wording, such as "Taunts -400." Taunting still works the same way as before: a point of health damage and a point of "taunt" cause the same amount of aggro from the monster. (By the way, a point of armor damage also causes hatred, but only 70% of the amount that health damage does.)

Second, monsters now recalculate their most-hated foe less often. Previously they would reassess their target after every attack that hit them, as well as every 5 seconds. Now, they only reassess every 5 seconds (with the exceptions mentioned below). This helps keep monsters from behaving "indecisively", waffling between several ranged attackers and never getting to attack anybody. It also should make taunt-sustaining easier: with the old system a huge critical hit would almost always pull aggro immediately. Now there's a few seconds where players might be able to use taunts/detaunts before the monster changes targets.

Abilities with explicit taunt/detaunt effects are the exception to the "5-second only" rule -- but only when it might benefit you. If you taunt while you have the monsters' attention already, it doesn't reassess aggro. But if the monster is attacking somebody else, your taunt will make it recalculate its target, potentially turning to attack you. Similarly, detaunts will force the monster to recalculate their target if they're attacking you, but not if they're attacking somebody else.

Thirdly, we've temporarily retired the concept of "temporary taunt". This mechanic may return later, but right now I want to see how the basic aggro system is working before muddying things up. So all gear and abilities that said they "temporarily" or "briefly" taunted or de-taunted the enemy have now been revised.

Also: We fixed some subtle aggro bugs . and probably created new subtle bugs.

As always, we'll keep iterating, so expect more taunt changes in the future. It's very difficult to test group aggro here, since I'm just the one guy, so if you find problems please get as much info as you can and report them!

Hammer
Hammer's Discharging Strike increased in damage and power cost; its reset time increased 8s to 9s; equipment was boosted accordingly.
Rewrote treasure effect: "Pound deals +12 damage and taunts +36" => "Seismic Impact deals +105% damage."
Rewrote the legacy (not-in-active-use) effect: "All Hammer abilities have a 40% chance to ignite the target, dealing 40 damage over 20 seconds" => "Seismic Impact hits all targets within 8 meters and deals +18% damage."
Two new hammer treasure effects (for Seismic Impact).
Rewrote treasure effect: "Rib Shatter deals 100 Armor Damage" => "Rib Shatter deals +120 Trauma damage over 20 seconds."
New Hammer ability, "Seismic Impact". It will be learned automatically as you level up the Hammer skill (and will be in your Persona window if you've already leveled it up).
Replaced some of the uglier Hammer icons.
Flame Basher item updated with description of what it actually does now -- the old text about Pound is obsolete.

Druid
Several pieces of Druid gear had to be moved to different gear slots. (The "chest" slot had twice as many gear options as every other slot ...) Items with gear in the old slots have become Legacy Items.
Cold Sphere was supposed to last 30 seconds (as it says in the ability text) but was accidentally lasting 60 seconds, letting you have two of them. This is fixed.
Replaced Druid ability "Cloud Natural Senses" with "Trackless Steps". It's a similar idea, but it buffs you instead of debuffing an enemy. Much more practical, and this version doesn't have the ironic side-effect of potentially alerting the enemy.
Druid skill has a new ability: Shillelagh. It's a basic attack that is learned automatically at levels 2, 19, and 42. Nothing too special about it -- it's just a way to hit things with your stick. It was added so that players can more easily use druid as their main skill instead of their supporting skill. If you already have the Druid skill past level 1, you'll find this ability in the Persona window. There are a couple of new treasure effects that enhance the ability.
New druid treasure effects help round out the skill set, including treasure effects for Healing Sanctuary.
Druid can now be raised to level 60.

Mining / Geology / Surveying
Lots of recipe tweaks and adjustments to recipes.
Geology maps are worth a bit more money.
XP tables are changed.
Some surveying recipes that used to be possible are no longer possible. Most prominently, you cannot mine for ore in Serbule anymore. (But you can mine in South Serbule instead!)
You can mine for Amazing Metal Slabs in Eltibule. (See the new NPC in South Serbule to obtain this recipe and all the others for Serbule, South Serbule, and Eltibule.)
Doing multiple mining recipes back-to-back quickly will earn you "bonus ore", similar to how you can get bonus gems from geology maps. However, the bonus ore doesn't usually just give you more Metal Slabs -- it gives you new kinds of ore with various crafting uses. Most of these new ores can't be obtained any other way (right now, at least). Different areas have different bonus ore possibilities; for instance in South Serbule you can find things like Pyrite and Gold Nuggets, but in higher level areas you can find things like Cinnabar and Rhodium.
New high-level mining recipes: "motherlode maps". These are experimental maps that give a lot of ore at once, but have trickier ingredients to make, and the map is less useful -- it doesn't show a spot on your map, only a distance, so you'll have to search around to find the motherlode.
The time window needed to get "bonus loot" from gem survey maps has been tweaked. It had been randomly chosen between 1 and 5 minutes. It's now different for different areas; in Serbule and Eltibule it's between 1.5 and 3.5 minutes. In Kur it's between 2.5 and 4.5 minutes.

Fletching
Fletching recipes: changed/reduced the requirements of several component recipes. Some new ingredients are used in these recipes. These should generally be easier to get than the old ingredients. (The most commonly-used new ingredient, wood glue, is sold cheaply by vendors.) But in the short term you may have trouble making some higher-level arrows because they use new mining metals. Most notably, all the high-level Dense Arrows require Copper Ore. Copper Ore is a bonus-side-effect ore you can get from running low-level mining surveys, and it has very few other uses besides fletching currently, so it should quickly become available. And you need a lot less of it than you did antlers.
Elahil the bowyer now trains new alternate recipes for arrow shafts. These recipes use various minerals instead of organic ingredients. You still receive the old organic recipes automatically as you level up Fletching; this is just an alternative option.
Deinonychuses (and dinosaurs in general) drop more feathers.
Note: The rare Alchemy recipe book "The Hows and Whys of Acid" now teaches two different recipes each for Weak Acidic Cleanser and Potent Acidic Cleanser. The new alternate recipes use minerals instead of organic substances. (If you already read this book, you will need to read another copy to obtain the new recipes.)
Note: The rare Alchemy recipe book "Potent Acids: Facts and Myths" now teaches two different recipes for the Ultimate Acidic Cleanser. The new recipe uses minerals instead of organic substances. (If you already read this book, you will need to read another copy to obtain the new recipe.)

Calligraphy
Reduced the cost of inks.
Revised some existing calligraphy recipe ingredients and effects.
Lowered the cash value of secret calligraphy scrolls.
Calligraphy can now be raised to 60.

Sigil Scripting
Reduced the cost of inks (and reduced complexity when crafting your own).
Revised sigils to be more useful -- some were already somewhat useful, while others were comically terrible.
Reduced ink-consumption cost of explosion sigils.
Sigil Scripting abilities now specify the damage/healing/etc. that the sigils do.
Sigil Scripting can now be raised to 60.
A new rare recipe book teaches the alchemical recipes for the new Amazing Inks. It would be most commonly found on very dangerous skeletons such as Skeleton Death Shepherds, Skeleton Corpse Keepers, Skeleton Darkweavers, or Skeleton Vigilants. It can also be found on 50s-range scroll-dropping bosses including the named bosses in Dark Chapel and Winter Nexus.

Equipment Change Log

This is not at all a complete list of treasure-effect changes; this is just what I wrote down because it seemed important enough to note. Many other effects had number changes which aren't listed here.
Revisited all the base stats of equipment -- that is, the "white tier" benefits of the equipment. Buffed up many items' innate attribute bonuses, but at the cost of armor points. The goal is to offer some more interesting decisions. (Some existing gear will have some of their attributes auto-updated, but other attributes couldn't be auto-updated.)
"Cuteness Overload raises movement speed by +6 for 20 seconds" becomes "Cuteness Overload heals 72 health and increases movement speed +6 for 8 seconds."
"Chew Cud raises movement speed by +6 for 10 seconds" becomes "Graze raises out-of-combat sprint speed +8.5 for 30 seconds."
New treasure effect for Cow's "Chew Cud" can raise the amount healed.
"Unarmed attacks deal +40 damage to goblins" => "Unarmed attacks have +12 Accuracy (which cancels out the Evasion that certain monsters have)."
"Blocking Stance has a 25% chance to heal you for 50% of your Max Health" => "Pin deals +85 damage and has +18 Accuracy". This effect is only for Necklace. (The old effect was for Necklace and Legs; Leg-gear with the old effect are now Legacy Items.)
"Deathgaze deals +240% damage" => "Deathgaze deals +240% damage and has +12 Accuracy."
Treasure effects that reduced the cooldown timer of other treasure effects had become bugged and actually made the timer LONGER (at least as far as the client was concerned). Fixed now!
Treasure that made Grappling Web deal poison DoT damage actually applied the damage to the player, not the victim. Fixed!
"Inspire Confidence increases targets' Darkness Mitigation +20 for 30 seconds" => "Inspire Confidence increases targets' Accuracy +10 for 10 seconds."
"Inspire Confidence has a 50% chance to heal +180" => "Inspire Confidence heals all targets 120 after a 15 second delay."
"Inspire Confidence has a 36% chance to heal +400" => "Inspire Confidence heals all targets 180 after a 25 second delay."
"Smash has a 33% chance to slow target by 25%" => "Suppress and Heed the Stick have +25 Accuracy."
"Double Hit has a 100% chance to slow movement by 25%" => "Suppress has a 60% chance to further reduce Rage by 300 and slow targets' movement by 25%."
"Lunge has a 50% chance to hit all targets within 5 meters and deal +12 damage" => "Lunge hits all targets within 5 meters, but deals only 50% damage."
"Deflective Spin has an 18% chance to heal you for 50% of your Max Health" => "Deflective Spin heals you for 6.5% of your Max Health."
"Psi Health Wave has a 50% chance to heal all targets for 72 health"=> "Psi Health Wave heals all targets for 46 health after a 25 second delay."
"Psi Armor Wave has a 33% chance to instantly restore 144 armor to all targets" => "Psi Armor Wave restores 58 armor to all targets after a 25 second delay."
"Psi Power Wave has a 50% chance to instantly restore 40 power to all targets" => "Psi Power Wave restores 22 power to all targets after a 25 second delay."
"Mind Armor Wave has a 50% chance to restore 48 health and 48 armor to you" => "Mind Armor Wave restores 27 health and 27 armor to you."
"Panic Charge has a 100% chance to boost all your attack damage by 10 for 20 seconds" => "Panic Charge boosts all your attack damage by 13 for 20 seconds." [earlier tiers no longer use percentage]
"Strategic Chomp taunts -400" => "Strategic Chomp deals +60 damage and taunts -300."

Other Combat-Ability Changes
Icon for Room-Temperature Ball has been fixed (it looked like Frostball).
Battle Chemistry Golems no longer race to fight in melee at all times; for now, they are back to their old logic of just sticking with their owner most of the time.
Level 50 Battle Chemistry gear was accidentally statted as level 60 gear. (Spreadsheet error, sorry about that.) This update has so many berfs and nuffs that there's not really a 1-to-1 mapping, but in the end, existing level 50 battle chemistry gear is a bit weaker than before.
Reduced potency of Hoplology, reverting a recent buff. At level 50 it now restores 15 armor per attack instead of 20/attack.
Some abilities, such as Cold Sphere, Wall of Flame, and the Sigil Scripting abilities, were implemented internally as pet-summoning abilities. But these "pets" can't be controlled, so it's annoying that the Pet GUI would pop up when you used them. The GUI no longer does so. (But they still appear in the GUI if you manually open it, because there's one function you might want: you can press the "X" button to prematurely end those effects.)
Base healing amount of battle chemists' Healing Mist increased a bit.
Summoned Deer did not correctly disappear if you stopped using the Deer skill. Incubated Spiders did not correctly disappear if you stopped using the Spider skill. (By the way, this is the intended behavior for all combat-pet summons. If you know of any other pet-summons that stick around when you turn off the skill, please let me know.)
Ice Armor is now harmless. That is, it does not put you into combat when used.

Other Crafting Changes
Joeh no longer sells a Surveying Guide Book. (A new NPC in South Serbule trains the skills.)
The recipe for dying metal armor now requires Lac (and not Metal Slabs).
Loot from low-quality treasure Treasure Cartography chests are now not quite so junky.
Raised amount of cotton obtained from domestic cotton plant; you now obtain 3-6 cotton per plant (was 2-4). Wild cotton is unaffected and remains based on your skill in foraging.
Lowered the cash value of cotton thread.
Revised the recipes for crafted cloth armor, requiring fewer textiles.
Revised the recipes for crafted leather armor, requiring fewer leather rolls.
Increased price of Quality Tannin Powder from 15 to 25. (This was a typo.)
Pathology: fixed some bugs with autopsy reports. Most notably, it was easier than intended to get info about armor damage done.
Pathology: autopsy reports can now show aggro amounts. This requires a difficult contested skill check (your Pathology skill vs. the monster's level) before it's added to the report, so as usual, autopsying monsters that are lower-level than your Pathology skill will give you more info on average.
Revised some recipe levels to make them coincide better with combat levels.
Skinning, Butchering, Tanning, and Pathology can now be raised to 60.
Added level 60 tailoring, leatherworking, and toolcrafting recipes for gear.
Added non-animal ways to raise Tailoring and Blacksmithing to 60.
Revised terminology on all crafted equipment recipe descriptions. The "crafting tier X" terminology was super confusing (and very buggy -- because I couldn't keep it straight myself). Now the recipes just list the loot level of the gear -- that is, if a monster dropped this item, the monster would be this level. Hopefully that will be a more intuitive number to experienced players.

Bug Fixes / Changes
Chickens occasionally lay eggs. There are new recipes, such as: hard-boiled eggs (cooking level 1) and soft-boiled eggs (cooking level 7), which are for sale from Fainor.
The "Chance to Avoid Death" attribute now has a 15-minute reset instead of a 60-minute reset. (Hopefully this makes the attribute a bit more practical.)
"So and so feels vulnerable!" messages are now only added to your chat when you are within 40 meters of the vulnerable creature.
Various "emote" texts (including the annoying "compassionately buries the corpse" messages) will only be visible if you're within 60 meters of the emoting player.
Serbule Guild Storage Chest #2 was tied to the permission for chest #1. It now uses the correct guild-permission.
Old Fangsworth: Old Fangsworth now always spawns. (Previously, a regular tiger would often appear in his stead, so you had to kill lots of tigers until he showed up.) He has a 3 minute respawn, and can spawn in many areas in the tiger field. His unique loot item ("tiger-urine-encrusted shirt") only drops the first time you kill him per day.
Banana trees look more like banana trees, instead of some kind of pine.
More NPCs in Serbule notice when you kill their domestic animals -- and hate it.
Fixed a bunch of loot items that could never have any magic enchantments, including: "Sturdy Boots", "Rita's Charm", "Flower Dainties", "Flat Footers", "Basic Combat Flask", "Ruggedized Boots".
Several Favors could not be cancelled. They can now.
Several work orders for tools were described incorrectly (e.g. the work order for Multipurpose Knives told you to deliver Amazing Skinning Knives instead).
Revised Fugorg statue goblin encounter: the loot chest no longer spawns randomly but is static next to the statue; it can be used once per day and has slightly improved loot.
Tweaked rules in PvP cellar to make playing around in there a little more fun (or at least less insta-death-y). All direct attack damage is reduced by two thirds. All indirect (damage-over-time) damage is halved.
Made the stairways much longer in the "minotaur labyrinth" dungeon to avoid monsters being able to hear combat on the floor above them. Slowed down the respawn rate by 50%, so that only half as many monsters respawn each time. (There are more changes to come here - I just didn't have enough time yet!)
Glajur the goblin was willing to buy any item for 10gp -- this is confusing. He now only buys recipes, bones, and skulls (and pays reasonable amounts for them).
Reduced some "chest distortion" on female elves that was left over from a previous art version, and looked weirdly exaggerated on this version.
Fixed the weird "super thick eyeshadow" effect on human female faces. (This was an error from when we converted to Unity 5.)
Fixed transparency of hair on several races, male and female.
Giant beetle damage reflection was bugged. Due to a typo, it had 12% damage reflection instead of the intended 20% damage reflection. On the other hand, another bug caused indirect damage to be reflected; it no longer is. Only direct attack damage should reflect.
A new song is automatically performed via player instruments when you play them anywhere on the Rahu map. (This song is actually intended for a different city -- the very-high-level crone capital city -- but, well, I'm tired of the first song and didn't want to sit on these tracks another six months or more!)
The myconian merchant Way has raised his prices on beaks and simple metal slabs. (He's intended as a backup source, not a primary resource. Eventually we'll have vendor code that lets him sell a small number to each player at a low price, and then not sell any more. But for now he just charges insane prices instead.)
Ukorga has the recipe for level 60 winter coats.
New guild storage chests in Rahu, Kur Mountains and Animal Town.
Daniel Murderdark has moved from Amulna to his permanent residence in Rahu.
Furlak has moved from the Winter Nexus to his permanent residence in Rahu.
Kleave's shop preferences have changed; she buys skins and hides now, not food and potions.
Marna once again offers training for the ability Poison Arrow 6.
Added multiple respawn spots in the desert zones. When you die, you'll respawn at the nearest spot.
Sun Vale has a new music track. (The old one will return with the upcoming Sedgewick Forest map.)
Eltibule has a second ambient track that interleaves with the original one so it doesn't get as repetitive.
Reduced the amount of XP you get for putting oil into town lamps once you've reached level 10 in Civic Pride. Raised the amount of XP you receive for turning the lamp off when it was on overnight, or turning it on if it was off when it went dark.
New slash command for people who get their resource-objects stuck in walls or lost. (Fishing holes, cheese casks, drying boxes of arrows, etc.) "/zapresources fletching" will delete your fletching boxes. (Actually, it will make you give it a confirmation code first.) Similarly, "/zapresources icefishing" and "/zapresources cheesemaking" work for those other kinds of resources.
Rakshasa bandits in the desert sometimes drop treasure clues. Treasure Cartographers can decipher these clues and hunt down the treasure -- after they get the necessary training from the Sand Seer.
New hourly-quest giver in Rahu. Her quests vary in difficulty a good bit more than Pennoc, but her rewards can be greater also. Once again, many of her quests are using brand new tech, so watch out for problems.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Large Patch

Rahu: A Preview

While the new city of Rahu is in-game, it is still very far from complete. You will notice large stretches of empty desert surrounding it; most NPCs have skeletal info and others are missing. There were so many systems changes that a lot of the features of Rahu were delayed until the next update. But rather than delay the whole city, I've opened it up in this preview format, because it has a lot of skill trainers you'll need. Expect it to become a bustling and more interesting place soon!

Oh, and there are some things that NPCs may mention that aren't in-game yet: the sewers (upcoming 50-60 solo content), higher-level fishing, the Ankara generals (but I left a few of their level 65-solo-content soldiers on a hill in case you want to bang your head on them). In addition, most of the lore is not in-game yet. So if you're wondering why everyone is called "Evil", it will make sense eventually... probably.

Finally, I didn't get the map into the game yet either. But you should be okay since the desert is still empty!

South Serbule

The South Serbule area is in a similar state of half-assed-ness. South Serbule is a large swath of nature that is accessible via a portal directly south of Serbule Keep. It is a low-level zone and should be viable for players between Serbule and Eltibule. There aren't a lot of unique encounters here yet, but there are a couple of named bosses that can spawn, and an experimental new kind of quest. Expect more work to happen here soon.

New Special Weekend Modes

On holidays we sometimes turn on "Bonus XP mode" to let you earn extra XP. We like being able to offer special modes like that, but "Bonus XP" can't be used too often or the game's balance would get out of whack. So I've added a bunch of new special modes to try out. Each weekend for the next four weeks we'll try a different game mode. (There are more than 4 new modes coded, but this will give us a nice sampler so you can give feedback.) After that, we may try more new modes on following weekends, or we may give it a rest for a few months -- we'll see how things play out. This weekend we'll test a simple one: "Bonus Inventory Space". You'll have extra inventory slots all weekend.

In addition, all this week (and this weekend) we will run a second special mode that allows extended transmutation. This is less about a special weekend and more about making the patch less annoying. There are more details below.

Loot Rarity Changes

One of the most important problems brought up by high-level players is that they only consider elite/boss monsters to be worth killing. They tend to consider solo monsters "trash mobs". But while they may be "trash" in certain group dungeon scenarios, they are also solo content elsewhere in the world -- and not trash. One of the reasons for the disconnect is that solo monsters don't have good enough loot. I'll try to correct that with these changes to rarity profiles:
Solo monsters: Dramatically lowered the chances of getting common (white, non-magical) gear, down to 50%. This means that half of all dropped gear is now magical. Boosted the chances of high-end drops so that more than 10% of all solo loot is Exceptional (3-ability) or better.
Crafting: Revised rarity tables completely. Uncommon is now the "booby prize" and happens only 5% of the time. Rare is 30%, Exceptional is 45%, Epic is 17%, Legendary is 3%. (This gives crafting the best chance to get Legendary gear. Combined with Max-Enchanted level 60 recipes, crafted gear is once again the undisputed king of insanely overpowered gear... if you're willing to farm enough! But it should now give "pretty great" gear with a lot less effort than before -- see recipe change notes below.)
Loot chests: Can never drop non-magical equipment. Higher chances of exceptional and epic gear.
Group monsters: Note that group monster rarities are implemented as "buffed solo monsters", so the boosts to solo monsters directly improve group monsters as well. There is now very little chance of getting lower than Rare gear from group monsters, and notably higher chance of exceptional and epic.
Item value: The cash value of equipment has been lowered due to the significantly increased amount of magical loot that will now be in the world. Existing magical items are unchanged, but existing non-magical (white-tier) items will be automatically adjusted to their new value.
Expect more changes here! I suspect these numbers may overshoot the mark a bit, but I can't be certain until we have some real-world data points.

Combat Leveling Slowed Down

Leveling up combat skills now requires more XP. (Something like 50% more overall, though it varies by level.) This is to help fix a serious problem that many players experience: they level up MUCH faster than they find gear appropriate for their level. This can make the game more frustrating than it needs to be, because players aren't as powerful as the game expects them to be. By the time they reach level 50 and are still wearing level 35 gear, the game can feel extremely punishing.

I've tried other approaches to fixing this in the past (such as adding NPCs who barter monster-bits for equipment), and that helped, but wasn't enough. So this update tries a two-pronged attack: I'm giving out significantly better solo loot (see above), and I'm slowing down leveling so you have more chances to find that loot. I'll keep monitoring to see if this improves the issue enough, or if other side-effects need addressing.

As always, when XP requirements change, your current level stays the same. Only the XP needed to earn new levels has increased.

Combat Duration Extended

I took another step in the effort to slow down the pace of combat a bit -- without breaking everything else. Since I've just buffed solo monster loot dramatically, it made sense to focus on solo monsters today. Solo monsters now have about 20% more health and a tiny bit (< 5%) more armor than before. (Elites and bosses are affected too because they're implemented as "Solo Monsters Plus Extra Stuff", but the relative change is small for them.)

Solo monsters are also worth about 20% more XP, so that the amount of XP you earn per hour should be about the same... BUT I also found and fixed many bugs in monsters' XP tables, which means individual monsters may be higher or lower than before. So on average, their value is about 20% higher.

This is actually a fairly conservative change to monsters and I expect to buff solo monsters more than this after all the dust settles. But mid-level players may be particularly hampered by this change because those players are often underpowered due to the lack of solo-accessible gear in those levels (which I'm also trying to fix in this update!). Keep in mind that monsters drop much better loot now, so don't get too discouraged. You may need to drop back to weaker monsters for a little bit -- but not for too long.

Note that player pets are implemented as monsters, so their health has also been increased. This is an UNINTENDED side effect that I just haven't had time to correct yet. (More pet changes and improvements will be coming in a future update!)

Spawn Rates Lowered

In conjunction with adding health to monsters, spawn rates in dungeons were also slowed down. All soloable dungeons and many group dungeons were affected, including the Goblin Dungeons, Necromancer's Tower (including some spawns in the later areas), Wolf Cave (including parts of the lower area where there's lots of solo-ish monsters), Mino Maze (top area where rakshasas spawn), Yeti Caves (including lower areas), Myconian Cave, Brain Bug Cave, Serbule Crypt, and Carpal Tunnels ("Under the Hand"). Some spawners in group areas were also slowed down, depending on the spawn composition, feedback I've heard, and whimsy, but the focus was on solo spawns.

Changing spawners is not a science at all. It's just guesswork, because the current spawner tech can only have one spawn speed no matter how many players are in the dungeon. So it will always be the case that spawns tend to be a bit too fast if you're alone, but too slow if there's lots of people in the dungeon. There's no way to fix the spawn rate for all cases at the moment, so I just have to fudge it based on how busy I think a dungeon will be. I do have new tech to address this by dynamically changing spawn speed, but it's not ready to go live yet. It had to be cut from this update. Soon, though!

If you feel a solo dungeon's spawn rate is now dramatically too fast or too slow, please let us know!

Treasure Effects Changed

As described in a recent forum post, most treasure effects were changed in this update. This will continue to happen periodically as our formulas and metrics slowly become more sophisticated. (I'm not currently expecting changes of this magnitude again for at least a little while, as I'll be focusing on other things first... but who knows.) In general, treasure effects for abilities with long cooldown timers (12-second or longer) are weaker. Treasure effects with 10-second or shorter cooldown timers are stronger.

This change is actually a net buff to gear overall -- a BIG net buff! But many of the popular gear effects from pre-update were nerfed. Low/mid-level players will probably not be particularly impacted one way or the other, but high level players who have put fancy gear sets together may be sad. So in order to help high-level players explore the new gear mods, we?re trying something special: all this week we will be running a new ?event?. During the event, transmuting items will cost no durability from the item. (It still costs phlogiston.) Combined with some fixes to the transmutation logic to keep items from becoming repeatedly-demoted, this should let you get a reasonable set of gear back in working order again.

Several things to note:

Pay attention! The transmutation table will correctly indicate the durability cost. So if it doesn't say "-0 durability", the event isn't enabled! It will be enabled a little while after the patch is live.
There are various experimental monster changes that you may want to take into account when creating gear sets. Read all the patch notes for details.
Many treasure effects were rewritten entirely. (See the notes below.) Others weren't "technically" rewritten, but their numbers have changed so much that they might as well be new mods. So even for effects that aren't listed below, pay attention to the details of effects.

Combat Wisdom

Combat Wisdom is a new kind of "spendable XP". It's primarily earned by grouping, although you can earn small amounts of it by soloing as well. Boss monsters give a few points of Combat Wisdom the first time you kill them in any 3-hour period. Elite monsters also have a chance to give a point of Combat Wisdom (the higher level, the better the chance). Certain soloable named monsters also give small amounts of Combat Wisdom, but not more than once per 24 hours.

You can earn Combat Wisdom now, but you can't spend it yet -- that part's been delayed until a future update. But I figured there's no harm in letting you start collecting it now!

Combat Wisdom will eventually be used for specialized ability tiers. For instance, for 600 Combat Wisdom you might be able to unlock Master Barrage 1, which is a version of Barrage that's about 10% better than the regular Barrage 5. And then later you could buy the upgrade, Master Barrage 2, which is better than Barrage 6, etc. This is a slow-powering system that isn't going to make your character dramatically better. One goal is to let you further specialize your character: while you might invest in Master Riposte ability ranks, another swordsman might invest in Master Hacking Blade, and at high level you'll each have slightly different combat styles and gear setups.

(By the way, if you've ever wondered why so much gear has percentage boosts like "deals +X% damage" instead of just giving a flat number, this is one of the reasons why! Even though the specialized versions of these abilities are only modestly better than the usual versions, that difference can be multiplied with the right gear.)

But as I mentioned, there's not yet any way to spend these points. I'm still experimenting with the best way to handle that part. So stay tuned!

Evasion and Accuracy

The evasion experiment from the previous update has ended and it's pretty universal that players are not able to tolerate general Evasion very well -- it feels random and uncontrollable and punitive. So the "bulk" Evasion has been removed from monsters.

A few types of monsters still have Evasion, though, because I think it's a useful mechanic to add diversity to the game. The trick is that evasion needs to be more manageable in order to be an interesting mechanic. So there are now two ways to control evasion. The new stat "Accuracy" directly cuts down Evasion. For example, if a monster has, say 10% evasion, then 10 Accuracy would nullify it, allowing you to always hit. The following abilities now have some amount of Accuracy built into them:
Precision Pierce
Aimed Shot
Cobra Strike
Ridicule
Strategic Chomp
Strategic Thrust
Ice Spear
In addition, certain pieces of equipment add Accuracy to other abilities. Unarmed is probably the current king of Accuracy -- they can find equipment that gives strong skill-wide accuracy buffs.

The other way to counter Evasion is with Stuns. A stunned monster loses all Evasion for 5 seconds. Note that even if a stun is reduced due to diminishing returns, the Evasion-disabling part still lasts 5 seconds. So constantly stunning a monster will render it unable to evade. And perhaps more pragmatically, you can always lead with a stun before using your heavy-hitter ability to bypass Evasion. (And as usual, this change works on players too -- if you're stunned, you lose any Evasion buffs from armor.)

The following monster types are the only ones with any Evasion. (Note that their other stats or abilities were lowered, so some of these monsters are probably more dangerous than before, but not INSANELY so.)
Basilisks
Fairy Healers (e.g. Autumn Healer, Fairy Heal Slave, etc.)
Ranalan Warriors (which needed reworking anyway)
Ghosts
Deinonychuses. Deinonychi? The little jumpy dinosaurs
Rats (including pet rats)
If you are Evaded by any other kind of monster, you should report it!

To help test evasion in a controlled environment, there are new "Evasive Target Dummies" in the Serbule keep (where the training-golem guy is). These dummies have 20% evasion, so an ability with Accuracy +20 should completely bypass their evasion.

Regeneration and DoTs

Regeneration was once heavily used by many monsters (and all bosses!) but it wasn't very fun because there was no way to counteract it. Since then, regeneration has only been used by a couple of creatures in the game (mainly hook beasts and slimes). But regeneration is a useful way to add diversity to combat. It just needs a way to counteract it. So in this update, regeneration can now be countered by damage-over-time effects, on a point-for-point basis.

The way it works is this: Monsters regenerate every 5 seconds. On that 5-second mark, all damage-over-time that was done to the monster during the last 5 seconds is subtracted from the amount it regenerates. So if your Hacking Blade deals 80 damage over 4 seconds, that will cancel out 80 points worth of the monster's health regeneration ?- in addition to the 80 points of damage it already did! This means that damage-over-time attacks effectively do double damage against regenerating creatures.

The following monster types now have some amount of regeneration. (Note that in most cases their base stats were reduced to counter-balance for this change.)
Slimes
Hook Beasts
Dragon Worms (but note that they were nerfed in general, as they were too powerful before)
Elementals
Slugs
Snails (but they can no longer cast heal on themselves, see below)
Striga

A few additional notes:
I used the term "damage-over-time" because it's a well-known term, but technically, all "indirect" damage works. Indirect damage is any damage that doesn't happen immediately from an attack. Other kinds of indirect damage include damage-reflection (e.g. Brambleskin, Fire Reflection Potions, etc.) and delayed-damage (e.g. "This attack deals 100 damage after a 20 second delay.")
Because this is a systemic change, it also applies to players' regeneration. If you have equipment that boosts your "Health Regeneration (In-Combat)", your regeneration will be reduced by any damage-over-time effects you've suffered during the past 5 seconds. (Note that by default, players have no in-combat regeneration unless they have items or abilities that provide it.)
This change only applies to in-combat regeneration; out-of-combat regeneration is not affected.
Armor regeneration works the same way, but is tallied separately: armor-damage-over-time reduces in-combat armor regeneration. However, it's pretty moot because armor regeneration is not used by any monsters at the moment. (The Rhino Guardian in the Serbule Crypt used to have armor regeneration, but it was removed.)
Snails used to be able to heal their health and armor when their rage-meter was full. The health-healing part has been replaced by health-regen, and armor-healing has been replaced by dense armor (see below).
This change is an experiment and is subject to change or removal! At the very least I expect we'll need to tweak the regeneration rates up or down for various monsters. Feedback is very much needed here!

Dense Armor

There are many loot items in the game which can quickly remove a lot of armor. At high level these are less desirable, because they're perceived as "damage that only works until the monster's armor runs out". In order to make armor-removal abilities just a bit more valuable, while also adding more monster diversity, we are adding the concept of ?dense armor?.

Certain monsters now have extra-dense armor. This means that they have additional damage mitigation based on their remaining armor. The normal formula (which players also use) is unchanged: 1 damage mitigation for every 25 points of armor remaining. But these special monsters instead have1 mitigation for every 10-20 points of armor remaining. As a result, quickly removing these monsters' armor will greatly speed up their demise.

The following types of monsters have dense armor (with changes to some of their other stats to counterbalance):
Rhinos
Some Spiders (most of the stunning-type and boss-type, but not poisoning-type)
Watchers
Urak
Snails (replacing their armor-heal power)
Scorpions
Some Skeletons (such as "Invincible Warrior" and "Immortal Bulwark")
This change is hard to handle at low level -- either it's irrelevant or way too dangerous -- so it hasn't been used too much. Higher level players have more ways to counteract this, so we'll probably use it on more higher-level monsters going forward. Again, this is an experiment -- expect changes here and please provide feedback!

Transmutation Changes
Previously there was a chance that a transmuted enchantment would be lower-level than its predecessor, and future transmutations might make that lower still, creating a "death spiral" for the item's quality. This can no longer happen -- the level is rolled from scratch with each transmutation, so even if one roll has a lower level, the next roll has the same chance as the original item to be higher level.
The cost of transmutation has been raised. Adding a non-skill-specific power costs 15 phlogiston (instead of 10). Adding a skill-specific power costs 35 phlogiston (instead of 20). This reflects the increased amount of magical loot in the world (see above) as well compensating for the removed danger of permanently lowering the item's enchantment levels.
The amount of phlogiston you get from transmuting high-rarity items has been raised. (Not a lot of people do that, but hey, if you have to do that, it should get you a bit more phlog!)
During this week only, transmutation will not consume durability from the item.

Speed Changes - A Work in Progress

There are two reasons to want to move fast: to get around the world quickly, or to outmaneuver monsters. The current system of buffs has made it very hard to let me boost the former without seriously overpowering the latter. This is a complex problem, and most of the planned work on this problem has been postponed from this update, but there were some preparatory changes that made it into the update.
There's a new attribute called "Out-of-Combat Movement Speed", which applies while you're sprinting, but it turns off if you attack or get attacked. (It's not precisely synched up with the "in-combat" icon in game -- it's a little bit more lenient.) A couple of treasure effects were revised to use this new stat. (See "Treasure Change Specifics", below.)
"Extra Toes" no longer stacks with alchemy run-speed buffs. (Strong alchemical potions override Extra Toes, and weaker ones are hidden by it.)
"Haste Concoction" now affects sprint speed, not movement speed, and it no longer stacks with itself (e.g. from both player and golem at the same time, or from multiple players+golems). Weaker Haste Concoctions are hidden by stronger ones.

Taunt Changes

First, there's a terminology change here. Many abilities and items had really long descriptions like: "Taunts the enemy as if it did 400 more damage than it did." That is now simplified to "Taunts +400." De-taunts have similarly short wording, such as "Taunts -400." Taunting still works the same way as before: a point of health damage and a point of "taunt" cause the same amount of aggro from the monster. (By the way, a point of armor damage also causes hatred, but only 70% of the amount that health damage does.)

Second, monsters now recalculate their most-hated foe less often. Previously they would reassess their target after every attack that hit them, as well as every 5 seconds. Now, they only reassess every 5 seconds (with the exceptions mentioned below). This helps keep monsters from behaving "indecisively", waffling between several ranged attackers and never getting to attack anybody. It also should make taunt-sustaining easier: with the old system a huge critical hit would almost always pull aggro immediately. Now there's a few seconds where players might be able to use taunts/detaunts before the monster changes targets.

Abilities with explicit taunt/detaunt effects are the exception to the "5-second only" rule -- but only when it might benefit you. If you taunt while you have the monsters' attention already, it doesn't reassess aggro. But if the monster is attacking somebody else, your taunt will make it recalculate its target, potentially turning to attack you. Similarly, detaunts will force the monster to recalculate their target if they're attacking you, but not if they're attacking somebody else.

Thirdly, we've temporarily retired the concept of "temporary taunt". This mechanic may return later, but right now I want to see how the basic aggro system is working before muddying things up. So all gear and abilities that said they "temporarily" or "briefly" taunted or de-taunted the enemy have now been revised.

Also: We fixed some subtle aggro bugs ? and probably created new subtle bugs.

As always, we'll keep iterating, so expect more taunt changes in the future. It's very difficult to test group aggro here, since I'm just the one guy, so if you find problems please get as much info as you can and report them!

Hammer
Hammer's Discharging Strike increased in damage and power cost; its reset time increased 8s to 9s; equipment was boosted accordingly.
Rewrote treasure effect: "Pound deals +12 damage and taunts +36" => "Seismic Impact deals +105% damage."
Rewrote the legacy (not-in-active-use) effect: "All Hammer abilities have a 40% chance to ignite the target, dealing 40 damage over 20 seconds" => "Seismic Impact hits all targets within 8 meters and deals +18% damage."
Two new hammer treasure effects (for Seismic Impact).
Rewrote treasure effect: "Rib Shatter deals 100 Armor Damage" => "Rib Shatter deals +120 Trauma damage over 20 seconds."
New Hammer ability, "Seismic Impact". It will be learned automatically as you level up the Hammer skill (and will be in your Persona window if you've already leveled it up).
Replaced some of the uglier Hammer icons.
Flame Basher item updated with description of what it actually does now -- the old text about Pound is obsolete.

Druid
Several pieces of Druid gear had to be moved to different gear slots. (The "chest" slot had twice as many gear options as every other slot ...) Items with gear in the old slots have become Legacy Items.
Cold Sphere was supposed to last 30 seconds (as it says in the ability text) but was accidentally lasting 60 seconds, letting you have two of them. This is fixed.
Replaced Druid ability "Cloud Natural Senses" with "Trackless Steps". It's a similar idea, but it buffs you instead of debuffing an enemy. Much more practical, and this version doesn't have the ironic side-effect of potentially alerting the enemy.
Druid skill has a new ability: Shillelagh. It's a basic attack that is learned automatically at levels 2, 19, and 42. Nothing too special about it -- it's just a way to hit things with your stick. It was added so that players can more easily use druid as their main skill instead of their supporting skill. If you already have the Druid skill past level 1, you'll find this ability in the Persona window. There are a couple of new treasure effects that enhance the ability.
New druid treasure effects help round out the skill set, including treasure effects for Healing Sanctuary.
Druid can now be raised to level 60.

Mining / Geology / Surveying
Lots of recipe tweaks and adjustments to recipes.
Geology maps are worth a bit more money.
XP tables are changed.
Some surveying recipes that used to be possible are no longer possible. Most prominently, you cannot mine for ore in Serbule anymore. (But you can mine in South Serbule instead!)
You can mine for Amazing Metal Slabs in Eltibule. (See the new NPC in South Serbule to obtain this recipe and all the others for Serbule, South Serbule, and Eltibule.)
Doing multiple mining recipes back-to-back quickly will earn you "bonus ore", similar to how you can get bonus gems from geology maps. However, the bonus ore doesn't usually just give you more Metal Slabs -- it gives you new kinds of ore with various crafting uses. Most of these new ores can't be obtained any other way (right now, at least). Different areas have different bonus ore possibilities; for instance in South Serbule you can find things like Pyrite and Gold Nuggets, but in higher level areas you can find things like Cinnabar and Rhodium.
New high-level mining recipes: "motherlode maps". These are experimental maps that give a lot of ore at once, but have trickier ingredients to make, and the map is less useful -- it doesn't show a spot on your map, only a distance, so you'll have to search around to find the motherlode.
The time window needed to get "bonus loot" from gem survey maps has been tweaked. It had been randomly chosen between 1 and 5 minutes. It's now different for different areas; in Serbule and Eltibule it's between 1.5 and 3.5 minutes. In Kur it's between 2.5 and 4.5 minutes.

Fletching
Fletching recipes: changed/reduced the requirements of several component recipes. Some new ingredients are used in these recipes. These should generally be easier to get than the old ingredients. (The most commonly-used new ingredient, wood glue, is sold cheaply by vendors.) But in the short term you may have trouble making some higher-level arrows because they use new mining metals. Most notably, all the high-level Dense Arrows require Copper Ore. Copper Ore is a bonus-side-effect ore you can get from running low-level mining surveys, and it has very few other uses besides fletching currently, so it should quickly become available. And you need a lot less of it than you did antlers.
Elahil the bowyer now trains new alternate recipes for arrow shafts. These recipes use various minerals instead of organic ingredients. You still receive the old organic recipes automatically as you level up Fletching; this is just an alternative option.
Deinonychuses (and dinosaurs in general) drop more feathers.
Note: The rare Alchemy recipe book "The Hows and Whys of Acid" now teaches two different recipes each for Weak Acidic Cleanser and Potent Acidic Cleanser. The new alternate recipes use minerals instead of organic substances. (If you already read this book, you will need to read another copy to obtain the new recipes.)
Note: The rare Alchemy recipe book "Potent Acids: Facts and Myths" now teaches two different recipes for the Ultimate Acidic Cleanser. The new recipe uses minerals instead of organic substances. (If you already read this book, you will need to read another copy to obtain the new recipe.)

Calligraphy
Reduced the cost of inks.
Revised some existing calligraphy recipe ingredients and effects.
Lowered the cash value of secret calligraphy scrolls.
Calligraphy can now be raised to 60.

Sigil Scripting
Reduced the cost of inks (and reduced complexity when crafting your own).
Revised sigils to be more useful -- some were already somewhat useful, while others were comically terrible.
Reduced ink-consumption cost of explosion sigils.
Sigil Scripting abilities now specify the damage/healing/etc. that the sigils do.
Sigil Scripting can now be raised to 60.
A new rare recipe book teaches the alchemical recipes for the new Amazing Inks. It would be most commonly found on very dangerous skeletons such as Skeleton Death Shepherds, Skeleton Corpse Keepers, Skeleton Darkweavers, or Skeleton Vigilants. It can also be found on 50s-range scroll-dropping bosses including the named bosses in Dark Chapel and Winter Nexus.

Equipment Change Log

This is not at all a complete list of treasure-effect changes; this is just what I wrote down because it seemed important enough to note. Many other effects had number changes which aren't listed here.
Revisited all the base stats of equipment -- that is, the "white tier" benefits of the equipment. Buffed up many items' innate attribute bonuses, but at the cost of armor points. The goal is to offer some more interesting decisions. (Some existing gear will have some of their attributes auto-updated, but other attributes couldn't be auto-updated.)
"Cuteness Overload raises movement speed by +6 for 20 seconds" becomes "Cuteness Overload heals 72 health and increases movement speed +6 for 8 seconds."
"Chew Cud raises movement speed by +6 for 10 seconds" becomes "Graze raises out-of-combat sprint speed +8.5 for 30 seconds."
New treasure effect for Cow's "Chew Cud" can raise the amount healed.
"Unarmed attacks deal +40 damage to goblins" => "Unarmed attacks have +12 Accuracy (which cancels out the Evasion that certain monsters have)."
"Blocking Stance has a 25% chance to heal you for 50% of your Max Health" => "Pin deals +85 damage and has +18 Accuracy". This effect is only for Necklace. (The old effect was for Necklace and Legs; Leg-gear with the old effect are now Legacy Items.)
"Deathgaze deals +240% damage" => "Deathgaze deals +240% damage and has +12 Accuracy."
Treasure effects that reduced the cooldown timer of other treasure effects had become bugged and actually made the timer LONGER (at least as far as the client was concerned). Fixed now!
Treasure that made Grappling Web deal poison DoT damage actually applied the damage to the player, not the victim. Fixed!
"Inspire Confidence increases targets' Darkness Mitigation +20 for 30 seconds" => "Inspire Confidence increases targets' Accuracy +10 for 10 seconds."
"Inspire Confidence has a 50% chance to heal +180" => "Inspire Confidence heals all targets 120 after a 15 second delay."
"Inspire Confidence has a 36% chance to heal +400" => "Inspire Confidence heals all targets 180 after a 25 second delay."
"Smash has a 33% chance to slow target by 25%" => "Suppress and Heed the Stick have +25 Accuracy."
"Double Hit has a 100% chance to slow movement by 25%" => "Suppress has a 60% chance to further reduce Rage by 300 and slow targets' movement by 25%."
"Lunge has a 50% chance to hit all targets within 5 meters and deal +12 damage" => "Lunge hits all targets within 5 meters, but deals only 50% damage."
"Deflective Spin has an 18% chance to heal you for 50% of your Max Health" => "Deflective Spin heals you for 6.5% of your Max Health."
"Psi Health Wave has a 50% chance to heal all targets for 72 health"=> "Psi Health Wave heals all targets for 46 health after a 25 second delay."
"Psi Armor Wave has a 33% chance to instantly restore 144 armor to all targets" => "Psi Armor Wave restores 58 armor to all targets after a 25 second delay."
"Psi Power Wave has a 50% chance to instantly restore 40 power to all targets" => "Psi Power Wave restores 22 power to all targets after a 25 second delay."
"Mind Armor Wave has a 50% chance to restore 48 health and 48 armor to you" => "Mind Armor Wave restores 27 health and 27 armor to you."
"Panic Charge has a 100% chance to boost all your attack damage by 10 for 20 seconds" => "Panic Charge boosts all your attack damage by 13 for 20 seconds." [earlier tiers no longer use percentage]
"Strategic Chomp taunts -400" => "Strategic Chomp deals +60 damage and taunts -300."

Other Combat-Ability Changes
Icon for Room-Temperature Ball has been fixed (it looked like Frostball).
Battle Chemistry Golems no longer race to fight in melee at all times; for now, they are back to their old logic of just sticking with their owner most of the time.
Level 50 Battle Chemistry gear was accidentally statted as level 60 gear. (Spreadsheet error, sorry about that.) This update has so many berfs and nuffs that there's not really a 1-to-1 mapping, but in the end, existing level 50 battle chemistry gear is a bit weaker than before.
Reduced potency of Hoplology, reverting a recent buff. At level 50 it now restores 15 armor per attack instead of 20/attack.
Some abilities, such as Cold Sphere, Wall of Flame, and the Sigil Scripting abilities, were implemented internally as pet-summoning abilities. But these "pets" can't be controlled, so it's annoying that the Pet GUI would pop up when you used them. The GUI no longer does so. (But they still appear in the GUI if you manually open it, because there's one function you might want: you can press the "X" button to prematurely end those effects.)
Base healing amount of battle chemists' Healing Mist increased a bit.
Summoned Deer did not correctly disappear if you stopped using the Deer skill. Incubated Spiders did not correctly disappear if you stopped using the Spider skill. (By the way, this is the intended behavior for all combat-pet summons. If you know of any other pet-summons that stick around when you turn off the skill, please let me know.)
Ice Armor is now harmless. That is, it does not put you into combat when used.

Other Crafting Changes
Joeh no longer sells a Surveying Guide Book. (A new NPC in South Serbule trains the skills.)
The recipe for dying metal armor now requires Lac (and not Metal Slabs).
Loot from low-quality treasure Treasure Cartography chests are now not quite so junky.
Raised amount of cotton obtained from domestic cotton plant; you now obtain 3-6 cotton per plant (was 2-4). Wild cotton is unaffected and remains based on your skill in foraging.
Lowered the cash value of cotton thread.
Revised the recipes for crafted cloth armor, requiring fewer textiles.
Revised the recipes for crafted leather armor, requiring fewer leather rolls.
Increased price of Quality Tannin Powder from 15 to 25. (This was a typo.)
Pathology: fixed some bugs with autopsy reports. Most notably, it was easier than intended to get info about armor damage done.
Pathology: autopsy reports can now show aggro amounts. This requires a difficult contested skill check (your Pathology skill vs. the monster's level) before it's added to the report, so as usual, autopsying monsters that are lower-level than your Pathology skill will give you more info on average.
Revised some recipe levels to make them coincide better with combat levels.
Skinning, Butchering, Tanning, and Pathology can now be raised to 60.
Added level 60 tailoring, leatherworking, and toolcrafting recipes for gear.
Added non-animal ways to raise Tailoring and Blacksmithing to 60.
Revised terminology on all crafted equipment recipe descriptions. The "crafting tier X" terminology was super confusing (and very buggy -- because I couldn't keep it straight myself). Now the recipes just list the loot level of the gear -- that is, if a monster dropped this item, the monster would be this level. Hopefully that will be a more intuitive number to experienced players.

Bug Fixes / Changes
Chickens occasionally lay eggs. There are new recipes, such as: hard-boiled eggs (cooking level 1) and soft-boiled eggs (cooking level 7), which are for sale from Fainor.
The "Chance to Avoid Death" attribute now has a 15-minute reset instead of a 60-minute reset. (Hopefully this makes the attribute a bit more practical.)
"So and so feels vulnerable!" messages are now only added to your chat when you are within 40 meters of the vulnerable creature.
Various "emote" texts (including the annoying "compassionately buries the corpse" messages) will only be visible if you're within 60 meters of the emoting player.
Serbule Guild Storage Chest #2 was tied to the permission for chest #1. It now uses the correct guild-permission.
Old Fangsworth: Old Fangsworth now always spawns. (Previously, a regular tiger would often appear in his stead, so you had to kill lots of tigers until he showed up.) He has a 3 minute respawn, and can spawn in many areas in the tiger field. His unique loot item ("tiger-urine-encrusted shirt") only drops the first time you kill him per day.
Banana trees look more like banana trees, instead of some kind of pine.
More NPCs in Serbule notice when you kill their domestic animals -- and hate it.
Fixed a bunch of loot items that could never have any magic enchantments, including: "Sturdy Boots", "Rita's Charm", "Flower Dainties", "Flat Footers", "Basic Combat Flask", "Ruggedized Boots".
Several Favors could not be cancelled. They can now.
Several work orders for tools were described incorrectly (e.g. the work order for Multipurpose Knives told you to deliver Amazing Skinning Knives instead).
Revised Fugorg statue goblin encounter: the loot chest no longer spawns randomly but is static next to the statue; it can be used once per day and has slightly improved loot.
Tweaked rules in PvP cellar to make playing around in there a little more fun (or at least less insta-death-y). All direct attack damage is reduced by two thirds. All indirect (damage-over-time) damage is halved.
Made the stairways much longer in the "minotaur labyrinth" dungeon to avoid monsters being able to hear combat on the floor above them. Slowed down the respawn rate by 50%, so that only half as many monsters respawn each time. (There are more changes to come here - I just didn't have enough time yet!)
Glajur the goblin was willing to buy any item for 10gp -- this is confusing. He now only buys recipes, bones, and skulls (and pays reasonable amounts for them).
Reduced some "chest distortion" on female elves that was left over from a previous art version, and looked weirdly exaggerated on this version.
Fixed the weird "super thick eyeshadow" effect on human female faces. (This was an error from when we converted to Unity 5.)
Fixed transparency of hair on several races, male and female.
Giant beetle damage reflection was bugged. Due to a typo, it had 12% damage reflection instead of the intended 20% damage reflection. On the other hand, another bug caused indirect damage to be reflected; it no longer is. Only direct attack damage should reflect.
A new song is automatically performed via player instruments when you play them anywhere on the Rahu map. (This song is actually intended for a different city -- the very-high-level crone capital city -- but, well, I'm tired of the first song and didn't want to sit on these tracks another six months or more!)
The myconian merchant Way has raised his prices on beaks and simple metal slabs. (He's intended as a backup source, not a primary resource. Eventually we'll have vendor code that lets him sell a small number to each player at a low price, and then not sell any more. But for now he just charges insane prices instead.)
Ukorga has the recipe for level 60 winter coats.
New guild storage chests in Rahu, Kur Mountains and Animal Town.
Daniel Murderdark has moved from Amulna to his permanent residence in Rahu.
Furlak has moved from the Winter Nexus to his permanent residence in Rahu.
Kleave's shop preferences have changed; she buys skins and hides now, not food and potions.
Marna once again offers training for the ability Poison Arrow 6.
Added multiple respawn spots in the desert zones. When you die, you'll respawn at the nearest spot.
Sun Vale has a new music track. (The old one will return with the upcoming Sedgewick Forest map.)
Eltibule has a second ambient track that interleaves with the original one so it doesn't get as repetitive.
Reduced the amount of XP you get for putting oil into town lamps once you've reached level 10 in Civic Pride. Raised the amount of XP you receive for turning the lamp off when it was on overnight, or turning it on if it was off when it went dark.
New slash command for people who get their resource-objects stuck in walls or lost. (Fishing holes, cheese casks, drying boxes of arrows, etc.) "/zapresources fletching" will delete your fletching boxes. (Actually, it will make you give it a confirmation code first.) Similarly, "/zapresources icefishing" and "/zapresources cheesemaking" work for those other kinds of resources.
Rakshasa bandits in the desert sometimes drop treasure clues. Treasure Cartographers can decipher these clues and hunt down the treasure -- after they get the necessary training from the Sand Seer.
New hourly-quest giver in Rahu. Her quests vary in difficulty a good bit more than Pennoc, but her rewards can be greater also. Once again, many of her quests are using brand new tech, so watch out for problems.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
How many people are on during the peak hours? Is the game getting very much traction? It sounds/looks like a newer take on EQ? Any major differences or similarities?

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
How many people are on during the peak hours? Is the game getting very much traction? It sounds/looks like a newer take on EQ? Any major differences or similarities?
Honestly not sure. It's not a huge population as it's alpha. The game is still very early. Has a lot of promise though.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I know this game it a niche thing but how does increasing combat time and leveling by 50% make the game feel to newish players?

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I know this game it a niche thing but how does increasing combat time and leveling by 50% make the game feel to newish players?
I popped in with a new character, still feels the same to me.

Gotta figure out how to get off of this island though. lol

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Not sure if the music was Gorgon or the channel's but sounded very "EQ"

I also saw a Pantheon (Unity) skeleton
smile.png

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Bumping because they're finally getting a graphics upgrade next week.

oGpyBjb.jpg

Hopefully not the first. The character models and animations need a lot of work too. But it's a huge step to a game that is already really unique.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
started it up again, turned up to see the new stuff. Its better and they are working on it. Sad thing is my toon is in limbo trying to get new weapons as they broke them from past patch/changes. Enjoy then game but would have been nice to get a staff back since I cant cast without one. Trying to grind out skeley hoping one drops soon. Back to my monk skills till then! lol
Saw they are starting to do something with the big hall. I assume those of the player vendors? Need to look around better to be sure.

Aevry

Mobile Game Hunter
This game is early access on steam for 29.99 currently. Anyone still playing have an opinion on pulling the trigger?

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user