Project Gorgon, round 2.

Rothir

Lord Nagafen Raider
I played it a month ago or so. I had played it a couple years before and still was able to access the game for free. I never made it off the starter island (originally it was a short cave tutorial and you were done). It is impressive knowing how small a team has worked on it, but it just felt a bit off. I wish I could describe better, but I really just couldn't get into it.

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
Kind of surprised at the lack of interest in this here. Picked it up on steam expecting to refund after 2 hours based on my previous meh experience in alpha, but ended up being completely hooked. It has a hell of a lot of the old school values that so many posters here are yearning for, like needing to actually properly explore in order to advance, and there being a proper sense of community instead of everyone off in instances/solo.

There's a million things right about older MMOs that have been lost for decades that don't need repeating, but I think maybe the overarching element is the feeling you get when you log in and you're not really sure what's going to happen. With games like UO and AC, and even EQ to some extent, each play session often felt unique, with what you ended up doing being based on who you encountered and all the unknowns of exploration. That's in contrast to standard approach these days in which each session is basically a linear progression towards a higher power level, with any quests or locations that are involved merely being something to chew on.

Yeah it's far from a AAA game when it comes to graphics and polish, but anyone still expecting that in combination with late 90s MMO mechanics is crazy. Server feels fully alive, lots to do, definitely recommend giving it a go.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Honestly the only thing that is stopping me from playing is the fact it's developed by like two people and early access. I'm definitely keeping an eye on the game now though.

Siliconemelons

Honestly the only thing that is stopping me from playing is the fact it's developed by like two people and early access. I'm definitely keeping an eye on the game now though.

Wasnt Axion Verge 1 dude and it was awesome...that shouldent be a factor other than "wow only X many people made this!"

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I'm jumping on here with some friends, we're using this to kill time inbetween other releases. Hit me up if you're interested in playing w/ us.

Some folks started already but I'll start playing a lot more starting this Friday.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
Wasnt Axion Verge 1 dude and it was awesome...that shouldent be a factor other than "wow only X many people made this!"

Absolutely, but a metroidvania isn't necessarily as much work as a cohesive MMO game world.

It's not that it's developed by 2 people that I think is bad, it's that content will come very slow. But I don't mind that to be honest as the content seems enjoyable at least through videos I've watched. They look like they're doing a good job so far for sure. I'll probably end up picking it up in a week or two anyways since the wow guild died so there's not much to do.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I've been having a ton of fun so far. It seems like there is quite a bit to do and as long as you're okay with it being group focused (no end game raids) it's fine.

I mean I thought this was going to be "okay" to kill some time, but I find myself thinking about it a lot, looking forward to when I can get home and get back to it.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I tried this and had some horrible frame rates around the first town, is this normal for a place with a lot of people?

I run a i7 7700 with 16gb ram and a 6gb 1060 for reference.

• 1Solidarity

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm seriously considering trying this. I'm kind of amazed that I've barely heard anything about it. My only real reservations are the price tag and the lack of a class system.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Man, I really wanna try Cow. I never knew what I wanted in an MMO until just now.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy this shit. Hearing way too many people describe it in a light that sounds pleasant to me.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I tried this and had some horrible frame rates around the first town, is this normal for a place with a lot of people?

I run a i7 7700 with 16gb ram and a 6gb 1060 for reference.

I picked this up and it's not the graphics that bug me but the frame rates. The slightest turn and I have no idea which direction I'm facing because I'm facing the same direction or worse.

I love the game mechanics but I just don't know if I can play this in this state. Town is barely playable and I run an i7 6700, 16gb ram and 1080. Crazy.

• 1Solidarity

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's odd, I run this on a totally shit laptop and it has no FPS issues. Maybe it's just that the higher-end settings are WAY more demanding?

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
It's odd, I run this on a totally shit laptop and it has no FPS issues. Maybe it's just that the higher-end settings are WAY more demanding?

Going to try lowering the settings but it's almost unplayable with the screen skipping around.

I love the game and can get past the graphics, but that's a nonstarter for me.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Going to try lowering the settings but it's almost unplayable with the screen skipping around.

I love the game and can get past the graphics, but that's a nonstarter for me.
I turned off the self adjusting graphics and tried it with the absolute shit settings and had the same issues, no idea what the problem could be.

First

Trakanon Raider
This game is pretty addicting. It's a very 90's RPG sorta game, reminds me a bit of Morrowind in fact. There is a ton of horizontal progression opportunities - it gets mind-numbingly huge when you dig into it and start understanding the game. The combat starts getting a bit more in-depth as you get higher level btw. It's in early-access on Steam right now, and while reputation, cash, & gear will get deleted for launch, your character and skills will remain.

As for the FPS issues, Serbule Keep is the worse spot in the game because that's the main city. I'd suggest changing the setting dealing with PC animation distance or some such (advanced option, bring it closer) and also turning off alot of the grass/trees stuff.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haven't had much time to play lately, but what I've played it pretty solid. I figured I would dislike the lack of a class system but the way items and skills work leaves me hooked.

I think my only real gripe so far is that too many items drop. It's hard to know what to ditch outside of the absolute worst quality stuff. I generally think inventory management is a positive system to have in MMO's, but the amount of items in this one compounded with the difficulty of vendoring shit makes it a bit daunting.

First

Trakanon Raider
Haven't had much time to play lately, but what I've played it pretty solid. I figured I would dislike the lack of a class system but the way items and skills work leaves me hooked.

I think my only real gripe so far is that too many items drop. It's hard to know what to ditch outside of the absolute worst quality stuff. I generally think inventory management is a positive system to have in MMO's, but the amount of items in this one compounded with the difficulty of vendoring shit makes it a bit daunting.

Yea, there is alot of inventory management I guess. As you play though, it all sort of fits together.

1. Various npcs have extra storage (the armor guy and lady in the building to the right in Sebrule for example). There's a storage box on the noob island, the Baroness in Serbule Hills. There's more.
2. You can buy more bank slots, the cost scales by 50 gold each slot.
3. Various gear mods can give you more slots, sometimes 1-2, but there's mods you can add to cloth & leather shirts that give +20ish. They're quite popular.
4. Various skills/etc can give you more inventory.

Past the above, part of the secret is that you're supposta gift the gear you get to people for more favor. More favor unlocks more vendor cash pools, larger item purchase values, quests, training, etc. If you right click on an item, go to item info, it even tells you who would like the item from the people you've met so far (you can also do small talk to find this out or check the wiki).

Lastly, all of that gear's mods can be deconstructed, so it's sort of a tradeskill resource in itself also.

As I said, the game is incredibly simple to start, and gets incredibly complex/horizontal the more you dig in. It's been a blast so far. I mean, I've been leveling art appreciation and goblin, but also just ran across skills as weird as holistic healing, (belt) buckle crafting, and making shaved ice.