Punk Music

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!
4if45t.jpg

Just saying

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Been on a YouTube binge of old stuff I missed or was way too young to experience. YouTube still the best gold mine of music there is.

Compilation album with The Groinoids, Decadence, The Proletariat, The Freeze, The F.U.'s, Jerry's Kids, and Gang Green. Jerry's Kids opens and is awesome.

Negative Approach - heard of these guys never listened. 7 songs in 9 minutes sounds like a way more pissed off Meatmen with more UK influence:

Buddy from college was in an early 2000's punk rock band called Functional Blackouts. If you like The Germs might like this:

Happy fucking New Year to you too. I have a fucking idea if you are interested.

I was thinking about Punk music. It occurred to me, the punk aesthetic (not the fucking fashion which, what the fuck ever enjoy), the punk attitude, let's put the "flower" stage ~1980-81 (but I am NOT commited to that timeframe), that punk attitude only makes sense in certain windows of time. Every halfway smart punk (except John Lydon) understands there are plenty of times punks need to go fuck themselves.

What a strange music form! Like prog rock, there are times when you wish they all would just die.

So punk is all about "what window?" It has to be context. Some punk bands barely deserve an EP -- but what an EP! And contest implies scene, and why the "punk window" needed to be opened, so to speak.

82. Danbury Connecticut. Dan-yawn-bury. CollegeDJ's. Just bitch as Connecticut kids, in other words. Fuck COnnecticut. The sole virtue of Connecticut is it isn't Massachusetts. But. 82. "No Milk On Tuesday." This was fun, for like 6 months. I still remember, think tey came by. then got jobs. like anyone not named Henry fuckin Rollins

Why are they on beat? Are they trying to sell something? Because by the end of the night one of them is going to get stuck if they are trying to sell something.

I have nothing against post-Green Day punk. But it's still post-Green Day punk, which is ALRIGHT.

It is a legitimate genre.

Unlike punk simpliciter.

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
The first punk I heard was in 1981 when a buddy brought a DOA tape to a concert and we sat out in the parking lot and smoked weed listening to it before going in to see Loverboy. There's some irony in there somewhere. I was hooked. Ten years later I was in Calgary and the hair people were all over the place, and venues like The Republik and Westward Club were going strong. Five years later they were all shut down. The hair people were all posers, mostly college kids putting food coloring and starch in their hair to look cool at the show; half way through the night the Mohawk was a dishrag. The real punks beat the shit out of them in the mosh pit. I stood at the back wall in my jeans, tee-shirt, and jean jacket because I was there for the music -- couldn't give a fuck about the punk movement. It was the music I played in my bedroom on a beat up no-name knock off with a neck like a bow.

At some point I grew out of it. I still have some of the tapes here, both bought and recorded, but I haven't listened to any of it in 20 years. And little inclination to do so.

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Cleetus-Meetbeetus

<Silver Donator>
Looking at my cassette box right now, what's left of it: two DOA, MDC, Circle Jerks, Guilt Parade, Jerry's kids, Minor Threat, Nomeansno, Filth and Blatz, Naked Raygun, Forgotten Rebels, Social Distortion, Foreskin 500, Bad Brains . . . Thought I had more.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users
And can we include some freak stuff? The Cramps are psycho-billy, blah, but they were in the punk window imho. There is something so messed up and wonderful about them, maybe they are "punk: psychobilly division"

Johnny Cash played San Quentin. The Cramps played the Napa Valley Mental Hospital.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And can we include some freak stuff? The Cramps are psycho-billy, blah, but they were in the punk window imho. There is something so messed up and wonderful about them, maybe they are "punk: psychobilly division"

Johnny Cash played San Quentin. The Cramps played the Napa Valley Mental Hospital.

I have chuckled at your antics more than most, but you insulted the 508 and I demand satisfaction.

• 1Like
Fuck. I've revealed I'm a Long Island boy. Now you got my number. I still say, Boston cops are way, way, way too comfortable hitting you with their D cell battery flashlight batons. All because you told them to go home and fuck their daughter.

YES I'M STILL BITTER (I have a very slight notch still under one eye socket, in the bone. That fucker hit me so damn good.)

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck. I've revealed I'm a Long Island boy. Now you got my number. I still say, Boston cops are way, way, way too comfortable hitting you with their D cell battery flashlight batons. All because you told them to go home and fuck their daughter.

YES I'M STILL BITTER (I have a very slight notch still under one eye socket, in the bone. That fucker hit me so damn good.)

I remember walking home with my friends and cops would pull up alongside us and shout shit at us.

One time they bopped us at the lake and asked us if we were drinking. We said no and they said, "What are you? A bunch of fucking losers?"

• 1Double Worf

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looking at my cassette box right now, what's left of it: two DOA, MDC, Circle Jerks, Guilt Parade, Jerry's kids, Minor Threat, Nomeansno, Filth and Blatz, Naked Raygun, Forgotten Rebels, Social Distortion, Foreskin 500, Bad Brains . . . Thought I had more.

Love this album.

• 1Picard