Purchased Gaming Tables

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
So i have been doing a little research on prebuilt gaming tables. I know that i can save money by doing all the work myself, and while i'm decently handy i dont have access to all the tools i would need and i would want to do a higher end finish which mistakes could quickly ramp up the price.

I wanted to compile a list so people would have an easier time doing research in the future.

i have a few requirements going in,

1. i need at least a 4x4 gaming area (for WM and 40k) but 4x6 is preferred.
2. i want a table that has a recessed playing surface
3. bar stool height (not completely sold on this one)
4. ability to swap out gaming surfaces in case they get dirty/soiled or some kind of protectant
5. must be attractive, something with a higher end finish.
6. wife gave me a budget to work with

the current/cheap option
currently i am using 2x GERTON Table top - IKEA with legs attached as my gaming table, its fine, wipes clean pretty easily, no huge complaints but its a terrible eyesore. i had some speed cloth attached to it for a while but it was a cheaper brand and eventually got nicks and burs in it. overall it was around $350 for the cloth, table, legs, chairs.

RathSkellers - Rathskellers - Handcrafted Gaming Tables for Dining & Board Games
I've heard great things about this table, specifically the Phalanx and Counselor models. The phalanx however does not meet the 4x4 or 4x6 playing area requirements i have (external dimensions are fine but internals are a bit short). the company is also stationed in Greece and shipping to the US is in the ballpark of 650 euro. pricing out a table with all the options comes out to about 4500. the counselor meets all the requirements i was looking for except the budget. its a beautiful "bespoke" table but is just a bit much with shipping pushing it well above 5k. This table is also the only one of the bunch that includes lighting, also has the option for speakers/outlets/bluetooth audio/usb charging ports

Wyrmwood - Gaming Table | The Prophecy | Wyrmwood
I own several items from wyrmwood and everything they produce is 100% the highest quality. i have a spotted tamarind dice box, a zebrawood tournament tray, and a flamewood birch dice box, all are absolutely impeccably made and finished. i cannot say enough nice things about this company except the price of their items you definitely pay for the types of wood they use. their cheapest table starts at 5k and unfortunately doesn't come in the play size i need. the table lowers/raises with a crank and if you look at how the toppers attach it looks seamless this is an absolute beautiful piece of furniture if you have the cash and dont need a full size play surface.

Gametoppers
This is the cheapest option and provides the recessed playing area i wanted. unfortunately ive heard a few reviews that while its decently sturdy there is a bit of a wobble in some of the test units. this is also not a complete table and actually sits on top of an existing play surface.

Table of ultimate gaming - Explore Gaming Table Features from Table of Ultimate Gaming
Probably the table ill end up going with, even though it has few downsides. It does meet the size requirements and is relatively cheap overall. - base table with no extras is around $900 in birch. The table itself is veneer and has a decent finish but is plyboard underneath. the main play area however is solid nordic birch, but it does have a few composite pieces. configured with the toppers, and accessories it comes in at about $1300 which makes it the 2nd cheapest of the bunch. the table does quickly get tacky when you start adding customization table sides and other accessories but on its own its actually not a terrible look. the table also only comes at standard table height and not quite barstool height.

of the options available i think the table of ultimate gaming is the best looking at the moment, its price point is well below what i was expecting to spend and there are enough testimonials to back it up.

also of note, during my research on gaming tables i leaned that geekchic went bankrupt with a lot of folks deposits hanging in limbo, geekchic was originally the premier high end gaming table and ranged anywhere from 2k to 12k depending on how fancy you wanted.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Glad this thread popped up as we were literally just looking at board game table options today and have gone through this same list of vendors!

The decision for us has ultimately come down to Gametoppers & Table of Ultimate Gaming. Everything I've heard/read about the Gametoppers is that the quality of the product is fantastic and we've seen quite a few videos where they test tipping and it looks pretty solid. The TOUG has some nice amenities like USB/AC power, adjustable playing field, etc.but I'm a bit concerned about the product quality. In any case, both products are having issues fulfilling orders due to demand so we're still waiting on user feedback.

Have you also looked at any of the products from?:
Quality furniture - tables for board games and dining - GEEKNSON
BoardGameTables.com | Custom Built Game Tables You can find their Kickstarter flagship product, the Duchess, here: BoardGameTables.com | The Duchess

The playing field on the Duchess might be a bit small since it's sized out at the same size as their "Traditional" model which is 3'x5' but it's super hard to beat the price.

Would definitely be nice to hear some others input on this too.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I hadn't looked at Geeknson before, those look awesome but still come up to near 5k before shipping.

My wife gave me the go ahead to get a TOUG, so i reached out to see how long the wait list is at the moment. my wife brought up that my current game area isn't necessarily fancy and a 5k bespoke table may be a bit much and would be one of the most expensive pieces of furniture in our house right next to New Zealand Koa wood bed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
We also ended up with the TOUG (the 4.6 and the 2.4) along with some of the accessories and it was still quite a bit cheaper that most of the tables in that list. We'll see how they hold up!

I also ran across the following for those that might be following this thread:
The Earl: Rustic Gaming Table
Carolina Game Tables: Design Rooted in Experience!

We had almost pulled the trigger on the Carolina Tablezilla but the shipping killed it.

Man that looks way too deep. Quality of it looks good though.

I’ll be building my own soon. Will post pics if anyone is interested, I know this is the purchased thread.

If I was going for one, I’d do table of ultimate gaming, I like their design and price points.

• 1Like

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Man that looks way too deep. Quality of it looks good though.

I’ll be building my own soon. Will post pics if anyone is interested, I know this is the purchased thread.

If I was going for one, I’d do table of ultimate gaming, I like their design and price points.

Yeah, the ones from Uniquely-Geek are definitely too deep, like playing on a craps table. The second link features tables from Carolina Game Tables, specifically, the Tablezilla which has received some solid reviews from folks that have seen it at different Cons. They wanted almost another $1000 for shipping though which is what ultimately pushed us back to TOUG.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I have family that lives right outside of Hickory NC (about a 6 hour drive), so i could save myself some shipping by just picking it up. the interior play area is 8x3 though and i really want at least 4' for mini games.

TOUG owner got back to me and said that orders for the 4.6 placed now should be shipping end of May.

• 1Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
I am really happy with my Duchess ~6 months in. I got the table topper, cup holders, poker chip tray (which has been used more as a Charterstone resource divider than a poker chip holder), GM raised insert thing and the card holders for my daughters. The GM raised insert thing works awesome as a divider for when you want to do a couple puzzles at the same time in the 500-750 piece range (or when the kids want to race each other). The topper is great when you have a somewhat complex setup on the game area but something comes up or you want to play another game. I had setup an Underhive scenario early in the week on the bottom for a Saturday and just popped the top on for an unexpected round of Forbidden Island (if you have little ones this is basically the kid version of Pandemic and pretty easy to play even at 6) on Friday. Card holder seems to be a bit of a bust as we haven't played too many games where you have to hide your cards and they all hit growth spurts in between the preorder and delivery that made their hands much more Lana like.

• 1Solidarity

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
The Duchess was certainly on our list of contenders and while I do really like the custom table ordering on BoardGameTables, they were ultimately a bit too expensive for what we were looking for. We ended up getting 2 tables with all the features we wanted for far less than that of what we could have built out BoardGameTables. I'm hoping the quality is on par but not holding my breath.

Good info though, thanks!

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Some of you guys may be interested in this. I got an email from Table of Ultimate Gaming: Gaming Tables for D&D, Warhammer, Etc they have payment plans set up when you check out online.

A2F9104E-F7A8-4431-B6E3-0EBC6017962B.jpeg
D8C4D99B-EC81-4711-8F6F-D50362F30BC5.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think I'm more likely to hack something together like this guy:
A gaming table easily built in 2 hours for under $200 (or - how to modify an Ikea table to a gaming table) |

Nice and cheap but still very effective. Could spend a little extra to make it nicer as well

A little too small for me, but that was the route I was originally planning. We have a solid kitchen table the wife was thinking about replacing, my friend and I were going to convert it. Decided I wanted something bigger though for Kingdom Death, and random 3-4 player stuff.

Going to do something similar to this Custom Game Table Build - The Jones Demon |

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
A little too small for me, but that was the route I was originally planning. We have a solid kitchen table the wife was thinking about replacing, my friend and I were going to convert it. Decided I wanted something bigger though for Kingdom Death, and random 3-4 player stuff.

Going to do something similar to this Custom Game Table Build - The Jones Demon |

That's a damn nice looking table and something the wife and I talked about but at the end of the day, the cost of tools, materials, and potential mistakes I would make trying to do something like that just wasn't worth it for us.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That's a damn nice looking table and something the wife and I talked about but at the end of the day, the cost of tools, materials, and potential mistakes I would make trying to do something like that just wasn't worth it for us.

Yeah building stuff isn’t for everyone. I fortunately have the tools, the space to work in, and I’m handy. If I didn’t have all of those things, I’d just buy one. It’s nice to have people say “oh this is nice” and you can say “made it from scratch at 1/3 the price of buying one”.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I got a reply back from the guys at TOUG when i asked if the 40k/AoS accessories would be compatible with their regular tables and they said "Hey! I would not worry, but we are working on the details now!".