Quantum Leap

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They said in the most recent episode that his destination is 'about 10 leaps ahead' which is pretty much saying 'he will get there by the end of the season finale....'

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So.... I'm still watching BUT I mostly just fast forward through the 'of the week' adventure and just watch the stuff with Addison / Magic / Ian / etc. in the 'present'. Its a case where the 'mystery box' has me hooked but I find I don't give a rats ass about Ben.
NMO2CWT5DJMR7DUL4YFGRGHVRQ.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Watching the latest episode when the dude proposed I was like "why don't you ask the girl what her answer is?" And I remembered that in the original, Sam swapped bodies with the person so they were always back at hq to answer questions. Often they were uncooperative but still they were there.

So it begs the question, where is Ben's body? Hell, where is Sam's body for that matter? They may just ignore that fact but they've been faithful enough to the original so far that they may try to explain it.

I really liked the tie in to the Vietnam episode in this one and I like that he's not limited to his timeline. I always felt that was a weakness of the original. I wanna see chinky building the Trans continental railroad or jousting.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So it begs the question, where is Ben's body? Hell, where is Sam's body for that matter? They may just ignore that fact but they've been faithful enough to the original so far that they may try to explain it.

Sam's body never left the facility. Everyone who he leapt into appeared inside his body the same we he leapt in to them. They look in a mirror and see his face same way he sees theirs.

I really liked the tie in to the Vietnam episode in this one and I like that he's not limited to his timeline. I always felt that was a weakness of the original. I wanna see chinky building the Trans continental railroad or jousting.

To be fair, Sam wasn't limited to his timeline. Remember the episode where he materialized in the middle of the Civil War?

I wish I could see this new series, hasn't found its way across the pond yet.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Sam's body never left the facility. Everyone who he leapt into appeared inside his body the same we he leapt in to them. They look in a mirror and see his face same way he sees theirs.

To be fair, Sam wasn't limited to his timeline. Remember the episode where he materialized in the middle of the Civil War?

I wish I could see this new series, hasn't found its way across the pond yet.
Yeah so where is it now?

I do not remember a civil war episode. Are you sure it wasn't a reenactment?

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah so where is it now?

I do not remember a civil war episode. Are you sure it wasn't a reenactment?

If it's missing in the new episodes I have no idea. Did he totally vanish in the final episode of the original series, I can't remember now.

The civil war episode was called The Leap Between The States.

*edit* Yeah, just checked, in the final episode no one appears in the waiting room but Sam doesn't return.

Mirror Image

"At Project Quantum Leap, Gooshie confirms to Al that when Sam leaped, no one arrived in the Waiting Room, meaning that Sam has seemingly leaped into himself. Unfortunately, this means that Ziggy doesn't know where to look, meaning that she may never find him."

Last edited:

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
If it's missing in the new episodes I have no idea. Did he totally vanish in the final episode of the original series, I can't remember now.

The civil war episode was called The Leap Between The States.

*edit* Yeah, just checked, in the final episode no one appears in the waiting room but Sam doesn't return.

Mirror Image

"At Project Quantum Leap, Gooshie confirms to Al that when Sam leaped, no one arrived in the Waiting Room, meaning that Sam has seemingly leaped into himself. Unfortunately, this means that Ziggy doesn't know where to look, meaning that she may never find him."
Wow cool. OK I didn't remember that. Thanks.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I wonder if they're going to jump him into the future.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I'm probably what you'd consider center with a dash of left, but Jeebus H Christ, I had to shut this off. I eye-rolled when the androgynous dude went on a forced rant about gender discrimination (episode 3 or 4?) but the latest episode starts right out with a preachy trans man on a basketball team. That...will.do. Too many good shows on to waste time. Apparently they let the trans write the episode, and it sure as shit felt more like a libbie reddit post than a professional TV show. Blech.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
I'm probably what you'd consider center with a dash of left, but Jeebus H Christ, I had to shut this off. I eye-rolled when the androgynous dude went on a forced rant about gender discrimination (episode 3 or 4?) but the latest episode starts right out with a preachy trans man on a basketball team. That...will.do. Too many good shows on to waste time. Apparently they let the trans write the episode, and it sure as shit felt more like a libbie reddit post than a professional TV show. Blech.
Guarantee one of the first 3 episodes he leaps into a trans person, so we all can understand the suffering they endure.
Dammit. How far was I off?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
You get what you fucking deserve...

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
Dammit. How far was I off?

Looks like it was episode 12, so you were within single digits. Nice work!

I just watched it as well--
I am sad that there is such an overwhelming lack of creativity that so much of new movies/tv/fiction/media has to be re-imaging/re-imagining of past material.

And, if you are going to do this, don't do it with IPs that are as revered as Quantum Leap. Let's face it, there is no one who watched the original in its day and did not fall for Scott Bakula's charisma and the overall charm of the show. And probably cried a few times too...

As to it's wokeness-- yeah, but it was not at all like today's wokeness. It took an internally consistent view of American History and constructed a ton of beautiful narratives based on it. From living through the 80's, portraying the stuggles of black men/women, gay people, and other race and gender issues from a perspective of empathy worked. Jim Crow laws happened, women's liberation happened, the cold war ideology infiltrated American culture. It all happened--but of course, history cannot be portrayed in an unbiased fashion. Impossible. So, for its time it was contemplative . It served as it's own course in American Studies as seen through its (very talented) creators. I, for one, cannot begrudge the original series for what it did/was. It was great.

That's not how wokeness is done in the media any longer. It doesn't portray socio-economic, political or gender issues (etc) in any way that encourages empathy, discussion, thoughtfulness or contemplative discussion. It's pedantic, forced, and in the imperative. All the horrors and propaganda of the media that we, as Americans, were concerned were occurring in Nazi Germany, the Middle East and Russia (then and now) are happening RIGHT NOW in our media.

The world as portrayed in most main stream media is a world of propagandist fiction that does not encourage a culture of inquiry. It formulates a false narrative of the present. The original series did not do this. You could form a college level seminar on some of the old Quantum Leap episodes.

That being said, episode #1 was inoffensive and vanilla. It seems like there will be less learning about social, societal, historical controversies and more finding out about the bullshit science of Quantum Leap. It was mildly entertaining. To the creative team of the new series I ask:

Your producers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.​

:)

This was also spot on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The last two episodes were decent inasmuch as they told a complete story that could have ended the show as a one-season limited series.

Not sure where they go from here, though, especially with the various characters in the 'present' as they have largely resolved all that mess.

RobXIII

<Gold Donor>
This is actually a really well written show with mostly believable characters I can relate to. Just do yourself a favor and skip the tranny episode (You'll know it 8 seconds in), oh and mute the TV whenever the guy dressed as a girl stars whining about gender issues.