Quantum Leap

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I do like that the leader / staff of the new Quantum Leap project are people that Sam had an effect on during his leaps. Also hoping they ignore the 'evil leaper' business, at least for a while.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Guarantee one of the first 3 episodes he leaps into a trans person, so we all can understand the suffering they endure.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would not figure this type of show appeals to the younger generations, nor did it need a remake for the older crowd that watched the original.

Hence, the only way it will get ratings is if it becomes total bait and pander.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if the first eps shows that he is leaping to ultimately save sam and he almost talked to a scott bakula that just leaped (with the old school lights)

fucking in

• 1Solidarity

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Watched the first episode and its very much Quantum Leap complete with Ziggy having an incomplete batch of information to work from. Clearly they will be doing a lot more with the '2022' part of the story and the people trying to solve the mystery on that end, but I'm okay with that.

Im guessing all the Ziggy update code he loaded actually came from a leap back to 2022 from some unknown future state, but it could be any number of things.

It is a bit distracting to see Desire being nice.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Right.

It was largely about 2 white guys being educated about the "lived experiences" (literally in the case of Sam) of people who were marginalized throughout RECENT history.

The show generally oscillated between more comedic episodes and more serious episodes, and almost all of the serious episodes were some kind of ultra-liberal propaganda about civil rights or gender politics.
This is true.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Of course there is some sort of a faggot thing with faggotry pronouns.

• 1Salty

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
yes a continuation where the main leaper must be a AAPI or MENA and the helper MUST BE a woman, ethnithy is optional, while the chief engineer SHOULD BE non binary, while the boss of the project will be an older black man
It's like you are a prophet, or have seen this shit more than a few times.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Scott Bakula was so damn charming and likeable... They can't have someone less so.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I just watched it as well--
I am sad that there is such an overwhelming lack of creativity that so much of new movies/tv/fiction/media has to be re-imaging/re-imagining of past material.

And, if you are going to do this, don't do it with IPs that are as revered as Quantum Leap. Let's face it, there is no one who watched the original in its day and did not fall for Scott Bakula's charisma and the overall charm of the show. And probably cried a few times too...

As to it's wokeness-- yeah, but it was not at all like today's wokeness. It took an internally consistent view of American History and constructed a ton of beautiful narratives based on it. From living through the 80's, portraying the stuggles of black men/women, gay people, and other race and gender issues from a perspective of empathy worked. Jim Crow laws happened, women's liberation happened, the cold war ideology infiltrated American culture. It all happened--but of course, history cannot be portrayed in an unbiased fashion. Impossible. So, for its time it was contemplative . It served as it's own course in American Studies as seen through its (very talented) creators. I, for one, cannot begrudge the original series for what it did/was. It was great.

That's not how wokeness is done in the media any longer. It doesn't portray socio-economic, political or gender issues (etc) in any way that encourages empathy, discussion, thoughtfulness or contemplative discussion. It's pedantic, forced, and in the imperative. All the horrors and propaganda of the media that we, as Americans, were concerned were occurring in Nazi Germany, the Middle East and Russia (then and now) are happening RIGHT NOW in our media.

The world as portrayed in most main stream media is a world of propagandist fiction that does not encourage a culture of inquiry. It formulates a false narrative of the present. The original series did not do this. You could form a college level seminar on some of the old Quantum Leap episodes.

That being said, episode #1 was inoffensive and vanilla. It seems like there will be less learning about social, societal, historical controversies and more finding out about the bullshit science of Quantum Leap. It was mildly entertaining. To the creative team of the new series I ask:

Your producers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.​

:)

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I am sad that there is such an overwhelming lack of creativity that so much of new movies/tv/fiction/media has to be re-imaging/re-imagining of past material.

And, if you are going to do this, don't do it with IPs that are as revered as Quantum Leap. Let's face it, there is no one who watched the original in its day and did not fall for Scott Bakula's charisma and the overall charm of the show. And probably cried a few times too...

As to it's wokeness-- yeah, but it was not at all like today's wokeness. It took an internally consistent view of American History and constructed a ton of beautiful narratives based on it. From living through the 80's, portraying the stuggles of black men/women, gay people, and other race and gender issues from a perspective of empathy worked. Jim Crow laws happened, women's liberation happened, the cold war ideology infiltrated American culture. It all happened--but of course, history cannot be portrayed in an unbiased fashion. Impossible. So, for its time it was contemplative . It served as it's own course in American Studies as seen through its (very talented) creators. I, for one, cannot begrudge the original series for what it did/was. It was great.

That's not how wokeness is done in the media any longer. It doesn't portray socio-economic, political or gender issues (etc) in any way that encourages empathy, discussion, thoughtfulness or contemplative discussion. It's pedantic, forced, and in the imperative. All the horrors and propaganda of the media that we, as Americans, were concerned were occurring in Nazi Germany, the Middle East and Russia (then and now) are happening RIGHT NOW in our media.

The world as portrayed in most main stream media is a world of propagandist fiction that does not encourage a culture of inquiry. It formulates a false narrative of the present. The original series did not do this. You could form a college level seminar on some of the old Quantum Leap episodes.

That being said, episode #1 was inoffensive and vanilla. It seems like there will be less learning about social, societal, historical controversies and more finding out about the bullshit science of Quantum Leap. It was mildly entertaining. To the creative team of the new series I ask:

Your producers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.​

Well said.

• 2Like

Goatface

1664406896262.png

doubt this will get more than one season, unless it is extra stupid cheap

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm

while i agree with you 100%, i wonder how much of that could be seen from the first episode. i watched quantum leap religiously (i was even such a fan that i really liked the evil leaper stuff), but i haven't ever re-watched any of it so i don't remember what the first episode was about other than setting up the premise of the show.

i'm NOT giving the new one a pass, i haven't watched it, i probably won't, just curious about whether the comparison is totally fair. though, in all honesty you're probably completely spot on.

• 2Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Just watched the first few eps. I'm pretty hyped that they didn't reboot the entire thing and still reference sam and al. Other than the transvestite on team ziggy, there's no more wokeness than the original had.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So.... I'm still watching BUT I mostly just fast forward through the 'of the week' adventure and just watch the stuff with Addison / Magic / Ian / etc. in the 'present'. Its a case where the 'mystery box' has me hooked but I find I don't give a rats ass about Ben.