Question about Kegs of Beer / Alcohol content.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Ok, this is an odd-ball question, but maybe you guys have an answer.

My boss and I went out for lunch today to Ruby Tuesdays. I had a 12 oz glass of Sam Adams Summer.
Now, 12 oz isn't much for me. I'm 6'4 ~ 220 lbs.

Anyway, this 1 glass of beer made me feel the same that 2-3 glasses normally would, which was surprising.

What would have caused that? I can only assume the glass I drank had a higher alcohol content than a normal glass. Would it have possibly been a freshly tapped Keg, or would it be a Keg that's about to be kicked? I mean, it tasted the same, but I'm alittlebuzzed from a single 12 oz glass. That's crazy.

(Please note that ever since having a motorcycle accident 7 years ago, where I suffered some liver damage, I'm a light weight with drinking. It really makes going to the bar a cheap night out for me.)

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I can't imagine 12 oz affecting anyone noticeably except maybe a child, but did you have an empty stomach when you drank the beer? If it was before you got your food alcohol will get into your bloodstream a lot quicker.

Fadaar

That guy
Only real thing I can think of is if you drank it quickly and before you ate. Which is also a great way to give yourself the runny shits.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
No, the alcohol content of the beer won't change at the beginning/end of the keg.

About the only way you would have the alcohol starting to separate like that would be if the beer was freezing, because the water content would freeze first leaving you with more concentrated beer. However, if that were the case with your particular beer you would notice a lot more issue with the quality of the beer and would be able to tell something was wrong.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Boss slipped you a roofied. Just relax and let it happen, man.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Likely just a matter of physiological reasons: empty stomach, long time since your last drink, lack of sleep, drinking it with your rectum etc. I sometimes notice the same thing, where a single drink makes you feel buzzed when normally it would take 4 or 5.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You're a self-admitted light weight, it doesn't seem that surprising. Then again it's only a 5.3% ABV brew so yeah it was probably due to the factors that everyone else has listed so far.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Daytime beers always hit me harder than nighttime beers. I don't know why.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No, the alcohol content of the beer won't change at the beginning/end of the keg.

About the only way you would have the alcohol starting to separate like that would be if the beer was freezing, because the water content would freeze first leaving you with more concentrated beer. However, if that were the case with your particular beer you would notice a lot more issue with the quality of the beer and would be able to tell something was wrong.
This, and for the record similar effects could be reached if they served you boiled beer, which im quite sure they didnt.
On the other hand it could just been a mislabeled keg e.g. filled with much stronger beer that didnt get downstreamed enough to the correct ratio, but then other guests would have reported the same as you.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Keg beer is light piss beer with 4 % vol here. Are you a bantam weight drinker or do you get stronger stuff on keg there, Ey?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Keg beer is light piss beer with 4 % vol here. Are you a bantam weight drinker or do you get stronger stuff on keg there, Ey?
Where the fuck are you from? Nearly everywhere I go these days there's an IPA on tap.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I would not want to live in your world. I haven't had to drink a mega-brewery miller/bud/coors product in years around here. Even chain places like Applebees have microbrew/craft beers on tap nowadays.