Random technology news & announcements

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have to wonder what the reason is for companies not wanting to copy Dropbox and then add a few extras of whatever their main thing is? The ONLY thing holding me back from not using some of these other (cheaper) services is how goddamn easy Dropbox is.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but Dropbox made a pretty nice free update recently

Dropbox launches integration with Microsoft Office Online | Dropbox Blog

We're willing to bet that your Dropbox is home to quite a few Microsoft Office files - and starting today, working with those files is even easier. We've released a new integration with Microsoft Office Online, so you can edit any Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, or Excel files in your Dropbox directly from your web browser.

What does that mean for you? For starters, you don't need the desktop versions of Microsoft Office - or even your own computer - to update any Office files stored in your Dropbox. Just click the 'Open' button when you're previewing a Dropbox file on the web, and you can edit the file right from your browser via Office Online. Any changes will automatically be saved back to your Dropbox.

You'll also be able to access your Dropbox directly from Office Online, so you can open any of your Dropbox files - and save new files to Dropbox - without leaving Office Online.
Pretty nice little feature. Sure, there's already free options like OpenOffice, but not having to install ANYTHING, and still being able to work with office files is pretty nice.

I just wonder how robust the features are for editting, if it's mostly just text editting only or if you get a fully-featured interface

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Amazon just sent me an email today about Prime Stations being part of my Prime membership now. Not sure if it is new or they just decided to email spam about it, but it is essentially Pandora with unlimited skips, for free if you already have Prime. Nothing groundbreaking, but yet another benefit of having Prime, and potentially another similar product I can do away with (Pandora) and just accept my Amazon overlords.

I'd include a link, but it appears every link I get for it is personalized to my account. It isn't hard to find though, just go to Prime Music and then choose Prime Stations.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Amazon just sent me an email today about Prime Stations being part of my Prime membership now. Not sure if it is new or they just decided to email spam about it, but it is essentially Pandora with unlimited skips, for free if you already have Prime. Nothing groundbreaking, but yet another benefit of having Prime, and potentially another similar product I can do away with (Pandora) and just accept my Amazon overlords.

I'd include a link, but it appears every link I get for it is personalized to my account. It isn't hard to find though, just go to Prime Music and then choose Prime Stations.
It seems OK, is there a way to do 'songs like' stations or no? I do like how you can make your own playlists with Prime though some core stuff is missing all over the place.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It seems OK, is there a way to do 'songs like' stations or no? I do like how you can make your own playlists with Prime though some core stuff is missing all over the place.
From my quick glance at it, it doesn't really look like it. You can start with one of their many pre-made stations, and it does have the thumbs up and down like Pandora, so eventually you could probably tailor a station the way you wanted it, it just might take a little longer. I don't know if I'm just missing that functionality though. It would be a shame if they didn't include that though, because even with hundreds of pre-made stations you won't always get what you want, and you might even want to make two different stations based on the same band, and it doesn't look like you can since once you start giving thumbs up or down it just saves it to that station.

Still, while it could use a little more polish, it isn't really that far off of what Pandora gives, if you currently pay for it.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Tesla's home battery sounds pretty cool. Too bad I have neither a house nor a way to generate electricity to feed said battery.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Google, Samsung, and Sony....contact lenses with built in cameras

Google invents smart contact lens with built-in camera: Superhuman Terminator-like vision here we come | ExtremeTech

Samsung patents smart contact lenses with a built-in camera

Sony Patents Contact Lens Cam with Zoom, Aperture Control, and More

1CTsHVT.jpg
NcZJnDh.jpg