Random technology news & announcements

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Not to mention the fact, they use outdated as fuck versions until the gov does whatever "security" aprrovals for the newer versions.

(Right now I am typing this from a gov computer on IE9.)
Lol they JUST pushed through a IE10 update here.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
We are apparently getting IE11 soon. Stuck on IE9 right now. It sucks.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
My work still uses IE8. It's pretty pathetic.
we use ie 7 and nothing else because the IT team says chrome and firefox wont work with our finacial system little do they know I use chrome all day long with no problem.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well, they probably just tell everyone it won't work(for the sake of not having to argue about it) but in reality, they can probably only guarantee the security on IE. If you're using financial software with sensitive customer info(SS numbers, accounts numbers, banking accounts, etc) I'd strongly recommend only using what your IT department recommends. Using Chrome or Firefox could be causing some glaring security holes that you aren't aware of and could compromise that sensitive info.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Well, they probably just tell everyone it won't work(for the sake of not having to argue about it) but in reality, they can probably only guarantee the security on IE. If you're using financial software with sensitive customer info(SS numbers, accounts numbers, banking accounts, etc) I'd strongly recommend only using what your IT department recommends. Using Chrome or Firefox could be causing some glaring security holes that you aren't aware of and could compromise that sensitive info.
He works for the state .gov and yeah it's just laziness on their part of not wanting to take it through the IA chain.

It used to be chrome and firefox were a pain in the ass for any .gov websites especially if they have a CAC logon but that's all changed.

To put it into perspective I had a .gov IA guy call Chrome a virus and make me do a class on PII after he removed it. I then had to print the certificate out and fax it to him because he couldn't accept a scanned PDF. There wasn't anything a PII class was going to do for this situation and who even owns a fax machine any more?!?!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Most construction and engineering offices have a fax, or even multiple faxes. The company I work for is owned by the largest steel fabricator west of the MS and their projects include most of the skyline of San Francisco, the airport there, the new ballpark in Seattle etc..and they have multiple faxes. Very common in this industry.

The owner received an award just recently for donating in his lifetime $200 million to USC.

We have 35 people in the office at this location and have 3 faxes, we do $300 million a year just as an idea.

Our IT guy is stressing out over it, he LOVES microsoft. He is the reason the company gives out windows phones etc...Traditional IT here is not very difficult, mostly revolves around sending and receiving email and storing drawings on the network. He's really only employed because he has a background with our 20+ year old equipment in the shop.

I keep telling him it would be pretty easy to find a new IT guy pretty quickly considering we are 30 minutes from Austin. He seems to think it would be hard. Only a matter of days till I have the power to fire him...counting.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
He works for the state .gov and yeah it's just laziness on their part of not wanting to take it through the IA chain.

It used to be chrome and firefox were a pain in the ass for any .gov websites especially if they have a CAC logon but that's all changed.

To put it into perspective I had a .gov IA guy call Chrome a virus and make me do a class on PII after he removed it. I then had to print the certificate out and fax it to him because he couldn't accept a scanned PDF. There wasn't anything a PII class was going to do for this situation and who even owns a fax machine any more?!?!
God all that training is such a pain the ass and useless to anyone younger than 70.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
They're not really getting rid of IE, just changing the name to something else that they're calling "project spartan". They're calling it an all new browser but I'm betting that it's just repackaged IE and they are hoping to get away from the stigma IE had back when it really sucked.
From what I understand Spartan is an entirely new browser, and IE is being totally scrapped. But I haven't actually used it.

We still have IE 8 where I work, it make me ill. Next week we get IE 10. Whoopty fuckin doo.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
From what I understand Spartan is an entirely new browser, and IE is being totally scrapped. But I haven't actually used it.

We still have IE 8 where I work, it make me ill. Next week we get IE 10. Whoopty fuckin doo.
Right but they can't ship an OS without a built in browser even if it is just for you to download a browser of your choice.

Then think about corporate installs that will need to make a master disk to have a browser installed to clone to all their machines. A browser is a core component of an OS now and it will just be IE under a different name.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Right but they can't ship an OS without a built in browser even if it is just for you to download a browser of your choice.

Then think about corporate installs that will need to make a master disk to have a browser installed to clone to all their machines. A browser is a core component of an OS now and it will just be IE under a different name.
That's just like saying chrome is IE under a different name. Until you know the specifics, how can you know? Not saying that it won't end up being the case, but its hard to say until we see it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That's just like saying chrome is IE under a different name. Until you know the specifics, how can you know? Not saying that it won't end up being the case, but its hard to say until we see it.
Is it baked into Windows? Check
Is it a browser? Check

It is IE. IE doesn't have to be synonymous with suckage, it's the baked in Windows web browser is all and has notoriously sucked it sucks way way less right now but nobody would believe that because it is called IE so they slap a different name on it and hold press conferences and next thing you know you are staring at Bing as your homepage and wondering where you went wrong in life.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Fucking bing. My work computer only has IE, and our fucking IT locked out changing the default search so all searches are in Bing unless I go to google first to search

Arative

Vyemm Raider

Didn't the EU require Microsoft remove IE from the OS?

riptorn

Lord Nagafen Raider
we use ie 7 and nothing else because the IT team says chrome and firefox wont work with our finacial system little do they know I use chrome all day long with no problem.
Is this a confidence problem with some IT professional? No courage to push updates across the board with fear of end users complaining?

IT guys who don't have balls and willing to withstand confrontation from the business should not be calling the shots in IT.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Fuck fax machines. Whenever anyone asks me to fax them something I'm like "Well, this isn't 1992 so no, I won't fax you anything. I won't be sending you anything by telegram or pony express either." Having an IT guy insist on getting something faxed to them is terrifying.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Security offices here always required forms with signatures (essentially every form you need to send them) be faxed.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Is this a confidence problem with some IT professional? No courage to push updates across the board with fear of end users complaining?

IT guys who don't have balls and willing to withstand confrontation from the business should not be calling the shots in IT.
More than likely they are probably using some other somewhat outdated piece of software that hasn't been updated since the days of IE 7, and thus the software isn't officially supported in any newer versions of IE. A buddy of mine runs the IT department of a local small private university and they are stuck with IE7 because they use a document storage/web viewing software from Xerox that is so old that it it isn't compatible with anything newer than IE7. Xerox ended that particular line of software years ago and the school won't pony up the hundreds of thousands of dollars it would take to transition the university over to an entirely new document storage system.

Most IT people that have a say in decision making would LOVE to stay updated with the latest and greatest software at all times, but the people with the money often kill those ideas off quick once they see the price tag.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Security offices here always required forms with signatures (essentially every form you need to send them) be faxed.
Signatures are another thing that needs to just go away in this day and age. Luckily most of the places I deal with that require signatures are okay with me scanning and emailing them.