Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Also just watched A Quiet Place. I absolutely hate horrors/thrillers since I don’t like being scared/stressed/creeped out but this movie was very good. The worst part honestly was that fucking nail.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
American Psycho - 8/10

Yeah i've finally seen it and my english skills are too low to do a proper "review" or express my feelings about this movie. Interesting ending i must say, let it open for discussion...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The Night Watchmen on Amazon. Was a fun B vampire movie about vamps taking over a newspaper building and security trying to survive. Was funny and the effects were pretty good for a B flick. Reminded me a bit of the Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse .

spronk

FPS noob
Sorry To Bother You - 5/10. Pretty decent first half that is a bit comedic and a bit social commentary but goes off the rails in the second half and really makes it cringe-y/dumb. 30 mins too long as well. Good cast including Danny Glover (Lethal Weapon) and the Valkyrie chick from Thor 3 / Westworld, she never gets naked but you see her in panties. Its a pretty pro-SJW/black kinda movie that takes a lot of digs in at white liberals too, but if you are weary of that kinda shit you should probably skip this movie. Not really worth a watch in theaters, maybe a fast forward kinda movie at home.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Sorry To Bother You - 5/10. Pretty decent first half that is a bit comedic and a bit social commentary but goes off the rails in the second half and really makes it cringe-y/dumb. 30 mins too long as well. Good cast including Danny Glover (Lethal Weapon) and the Valkyrie chick from Thor 3 / Westworld, she never gets naked but you see her in panties. Its a pretty pro-SJW/black kinda movie that takes a lot of digs in at white liberals too, but if you are weary of that kinda shit you should probably skip this movie. Not really worth a watch in theaters, maybe a fast forward kinda movie at home.

I'd maybe rate this a a point or 2 higher, but it is definitely a weird movie that gets weirder as it goes along. I wouldn't call it pro-SJW/Black so much as very anti-capitalism (there is obviously overlap there, but I think anti-capitalism is what frames most of the interactions in the movie).

None of that was why I dropped in here though, I wanted to argue the "Not worth a watch in theaters" bit. Certainly not for everyone, hard to even recommend at full price to anyone who isnt really into weird indie or super esoteric satire movies, but if you have moviepass or AMC A-list or whatever, I would say there are worse things you could do with 2 hours than support a weird indie comedy. This probably could have been safer and had wide appeal, but the writer/director had a vision for this weird thing, made it, got a lot of good performances out of the actors and put it out on screen. Who knows, maybe you will love it (as an this is why I see basically anything I can from A24, they have put way more hits in front of me than misses when it comes to smaller movies)

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i wouldn't argue with a 7/10 rating either. it cuts below the pretentious line of something like mother! or red sparrow which are just boring, bad, and annoying. This was still entertaining except the third act is slow and weird without developing well. The first half of surreal stuff was good. Knowing this forum though there are gonna be a few people who just HATE the movie for its "lets all be commies" kinda message.

its definitely very creative and different, so people who like that kinda stuff (I usually don't) will probably really like it.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
How it Ends

Netflix original film with Forest Whitake and some white guy. There's an unknown event on the West Coast that takes out power across the country and knocks out communications and the white guy and Forest take a road trip across a very empty United States from Chicago to Seattle that takes too long. The first half hour of the film is pretty good but that's about it. The pistol that Forest has is I think magic?

Acting's pretty good, I like the characters, but the writing is really bad.

• 1Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
To my mind, the most egregious thing about How it Ends is, ironically, how it ends. It just stops. I don't know if it's the first in a line of films or what but the movie just trundles along, ignoring a lot of logic to get these characters into one dumb situation after another and giving no answers to the Event or anything. It was an okay movie until the end. The acting was decent, characters were generally good, writing was crap.

I despise movies I like til the end. Feels like a bait and switch. Either be good all the way through or be shitty, but don't tease me.

• 1Like

Goatface

i was sorta mixed on the movie
on the event
best theory i read, a massive volcanic chain of events off the coast, caused the magnetic poles to shift

on the trip,
i didn't think it took too long, as they stop a couple of times, but plotted it out on a map
to get from the indians to the small town, was about 350 miles back the way they came.

i didn't like the bridge scene or the stuff at the cabin with the neighbor

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Ghost stories - 7.5/10.

I'm a big chicken when it comes to scary movies, but I was able to enjoy this one well enough. Despite the trailer and cover art, it doesn't really star martin freeman, they're just using his celebrity status for promotion, which i was a bit disappointed by since the real main guy isn't the greatest. I also wanted a bit more out of the second story.

I do see why they put freeman front and center though, he steals the show in a good way, and i thought the twist ending was pretty well done.

Siliconemelons

Birthmarked

God, why did my wife want to watch this, then she fell asleep 15min in and left we to watch the rest...

Its a "comedy" like Royal Taunenbaums or whatever - Life Aquatic etc etc. you know fake documentery about "real life" that is slightly satirical and dry

It is not worth burning time in your life on it unless you really, really like that type of movie.

I do not know if they prove the premise of the movie or what... its like "Are genes the only thing that effect our lives?" 2 "smart" scientists who both come from long lines of scientists are expecting, and then adopt 2 other kids (one boy and girl) from 2 different family's , the girl is from a fam of "dumb/simple" people and the boy is from mean/bad/violent people and their naturally born kid is, obviously from scientific families etc.

Their kid they are going to raise to be artistic
The stupid girl to be smart
and the mean boy to be a peace loving hippy pacifist

They get a $$ grant by some dude that loves rub n tugs from asians (I do not know why that is relevant but they give you some asian boobs to utilize the R rating they got from language, both could have been done without as it really does nothing.)

However the "grant" has a contingency that they are successful? WTF kind of science is "Lets do this experiment...were the outcome is X" oorrr they have to pay back all hte $$ they got to be supported for doing this experiment.

well that's the crux of the latter half of the movies conflict as, as you would guess none of the kids are "extraordinary" - as even the thread on this very forum shows, it is BOTH generics and heritage and upbringing. So the dude wants his money and then there is a semi WTF flip to add some more drama, then the film QUICKLY and thankfully so- wraps it up. It feels longer than it is, and is longer than it should be at the same time.

So all in all, the dumb girl is not really dumb but not super smart
The violent kid has violent tendency and whatnot but is not a murderer or psychotic

and the natural born kid is eh - the "what happened to them" blurb at the end says he became a film director that wanted to make a film about his and his family's life but the studios said it had no audience (implying this is all real and he made and released the movie) So he is no hugely successful artist or anything

So really all in all it just shows that they wasted the scientific kid as he could have been yet another extraordinary scientist if what his "genes" supported was cultivated rather than brute forced into something else. yet the other two, I suppose did end up "better" than they would have "naturally"

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Hostiles

Wish I'd seen this in the theaters, as the cinemetography was gorgeous. Not a bad movie, but it did get a little slow in some places. It was definitely more drama than action and I was hoping for more action. Overall enjoyed it, though, and the acting was great. Just ran a little long is all.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Avengers - Infinity War

Was NOT going to see it. Went with a total fan-boy who insisted (seriously) that it was the single, greatest example of American film-making in the last century.

So, even though my expectations were minimalist, he had me thinking it would at least be a decent film. It's not a film. It's a kind of forgetful summer movie that packs in as much comic books/film stuff as it possibly can into almost 3 hours of running time. It would make for a great drive-in movie (if those even still exist). At least it wasn't a complete utter mess. The fights scenes were good (not too over-the-top) and it had a nice balance of humor and attempted emotion. But seriously, this is popcorn cinema (only on a billlion-dollar budget).

Also, I could not give a single fuck about the villian. He didn't even make sense...

Not at all bad for what it was-- but not at all the "great movie" I was told it was. The litmus test would be this for me-- if it were on TV would I pause to watch it (like I would with "The Fifth Element" or "The Big Lebowski?"). Nope...

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Went with a total fan-boy who insisted (seriously) that it was the single, greatest example of American film-making in the last century

The underlined part is the explanation to the rest of the sentence.

Ahhh, Avengers - Infinity War. One of the best film experiences ever, from such a better than average film. I'll explain.

I'm a huge, HUGE fan of the MCU. I cannot fully separate that fact from the movie experience, but I can try... it seems to me that if I were an uninitiated viewer of Infinity War, I would chalk it up as an overinflated visual spectacle with great special effects and bizarre plot-lines and dialogue that ends abruptly with no closure. I absolutely, 100% get where you're coming from with your review.

I don't need to ask if you've seen and enjoyed all the other MCU movies from 2008's Iron Man onward. Or followed post-credit scenes, etc. You haven't. Maybe one or three here or there, but.... heh. This is why you didn't love it.

Granted, I think your friend did stretch it a bit LoL... it's far from the greatest film in the last century. But if you've been with Marvel since the beginning, are a fan, and know these characters, their history, and their stories very well after the 17 or so films the MCU has done as a collective entity, then Infinity War was one of the best experiences in cinema. It successfully culled various characters, elements and plotlines from other stand-alone movies together over the course of a decade into an epic, large-scale story that was absolutely riveting to watch as a fan.

So, again, my post isn't a rejection of your opinion, I get you... I'm just trying to get you to understand that Infinity War was pure fan service, and it was amazing.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
The underlined part is the explanation to the rest of the sentence.

Ahhh, Avengers - Infinity War. One of the best film experiences ever, from such a better than average film. I'll explain.

I'm a huge, HUGE fan of the MCU. I cannot fully separate that fact from the movie experience, but I can try... it seems to me that if I were an uninitiated viewer of Infinity War, I would chalk it up as an overinflated visual spectacle with great special effects and bizarre plot-lines and dialogue that ends abruptly with no closure. I absolutely, 100% get where you're coming from with your review.

So, again, my post isn't a rejection of your opinion, I get you... I'm just trying to get you to understand that Infinity War was pure fan service, and it was amazing.

VERY helpful explanation. Better than the fan-boy could muster up. And yes, I think I have seen MOST of the MCU films (which now makes this a multi-billion dollar flick!). I actually think that helps me appreciate it more as part of a complex canon. But I still don't get Thanos as a villian. Plus, I DID like it for the pastiche/ensemble that it was. (I HATED Superman returns, alas).

Thanks for your clarification-- I was looking at it too much in isolation... Maybe I WILL watch it when it comes on the tube! ;P

PS-- "Jessica Jones" is my fav thing produced in the MCU-- best villain too (by far!)

Last edited:

Goatface

It would make for a great drive-in movie (if those even still exist).

last year there were 330 left in the US. we still have a local one, screen is pretty shitty, but it was still neat to go too.
it used to show 3 movies a night for $5, kids movie to start, big feature, then something r rated late at night
now it is $8 for 2 and they are all more kid friendly, seems great for families.

ours is located in notch in a mountain with a river running a little ways behind the screen,
one of last r rated movies i saw there was The Conjuring and the fog started to roll around 1am
shit got creepy as all hell

---

Alien Code
5/10
After deciphering a message found in a satellite, brilliant cryptographer Alex Jacobs finds himself being stalked by government agents and otherworldly beings.

low budget and trailer spoils a lot
without going into spoilers, movie really doesn't do much, but did enjoy many of the ideas

it got some buzz awhile back as the "otherworldly beings" looked a lot like the Observers from Fringe

Szlia

I was at the Neuchatel International Fantasy Film Festival a couple weeks back and here are some stand out movies. Note that, despite the name of the festival, just about everything goes outside the main competition. This year there was a panorama of films from New Zealand for instance... which leads us to:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople: a classic "odd pair" comedy, with a urban kid pairing with his outdoorsy foster father. Sam Neil is the foster father and the kid is played by the kid who was the villain in Deadpool 2. A big local hit, this was made by Taika Waititi, one of the two minds behind What We Do in the Shadows (which you should see right now if you have not). One of the side character should join "overacting anonymous", but as a whole it is a very well made and very funny comedy. 8/10

Boy: Another Taika Waititi film. More of a bittersweet nostalgic brand of comedy in this one. It's set in a poor community of pacific islanders in the '80s, with a boy named Boy trying to spend quality time with his funny loser of a father who just got out of prison. Note: the accent is pretty thick in this one. 7/10

Hanagatami: the latest film of 80 years old japanese director Nobuhiko Obayashi ( well known in occident for his wacky cult horror film House - a film probably better known for the Every Frame a Picture analysis of it than for its own merit!). In his outlandish style, made of video effect superpositions, constant inserts, total divorce with any kind of "realism", Obayashi makes a group portrait of a bunch of youngsters in the earlier parts of the XXth century (Note: the actors are not youngsters, because Obayashi does not care). It's all about how they perceive each other, inspire each other openly or not, betray each other, etc also how their hopes and dreams will be crushed by illness and the impeding war. The structure, type of story and length (almost 3 hours), makes it very literary (and it is indeed a book adaptation - Kazuo Dan, Hanagatami, 1937), but the film making and leitmotivs makes it feel like a fever dream. I tend to hate this type of fever dream movies, but I guess there are exceptions like My Winnipeg or this one, which I found riveting. 9/10

The Green Fog: A supremely weird exercise in experimental film making, by Guy Maddin and Evan Johnson. Basically, it takes the themes of each scene of Hitchcock's Vertigo, and makes a montage of film clips of that theme with the additional constraints that these films must, like Vertigo, be set in San Francisco! It is all pretty confusing, but it has the courtesy of not overstaying its welcome (it's only about an hour long) and of being often very funny! I certainly enjoyed it, but I guess a modicum of interest in montage and film making might be needed to enjoy it as much as I did! ?/10

Also seen (tell me if you want to know more): Mary Shelley (decent but by the numbers biopic with Elle Fanning), Kasane (surprisingly not horrible manga adaptation about a pretty but mediocre actress who gets a disfigured stand in who acts well and can steal her face), Good-Bye Pork Pie (road movie in NZ with a punk spirit), Pig (funny iranian comedy set in the movie making microcosm - I still don't get how it did not get censored as the main character cheats on his wife and get hammered at parties but hey), Cutterhead (things go wrong while piercing a tunnel in Denmark, ok low budget suspense movie), Woman at War (lighthearted eco-terrorism in Iceland). Tigers Are Not Afraid (children story in a gang dominated Mexico, very elegant use of fantasy elements).

spronk

FPS noob
Blindspotting - 4/10. An almost 7/10 move that suffers the same problem as Sorry to Bother You, an interesting setup, characters, and movie that ambles along pretty well and then crashes hard at the end when the director decides "my audience may not understand my message, LET ME BEAT THEM OVER THE HEAD WITH IT". Why you do that to yourself, movie?

Its a movie about a guy about to get off probation and Oakland, the guys behind it pour their soul into making sure it comes across every scene and it does wonderfully. Its a great movie if you ever had a friend who always did ridiculously stupid shit and got you into trouble for it all the time, most guys I think can relate to that. Its also tries to weave a narrative about police brutality and racism and does that poorly, especially at the end. Everything else though is pretty good. Not really worth a trip out to theaters, see it at home or on netflix.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Have to disagree with you about Blindspotting. I thought it was an 8/10 movie that would've been a 10/10 if the scene just before ending wasn't so heavy-handed. But I don't think that scene torpedoes it as hard as you thought it did, especially because the scene that comes after it (the actual ending) is awesome. It does a great job balancing comedy and drama, the characters are all believable and extremely likable. There are also a lot of great hidden subtleties in it; the writing is fantastic.