Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

Oldbased

> Than U
Braven 9/10
I rate it so high because these are really the type of movies I like.
It stars Jason Momoa who was Khal Drogo in Games of Thrones.
It is about a man and his sick father going back to their cabin to find drugs had been stashed there and they came back to get it and it is a fight for survival.
Fight scenes are decent, scenery is awesome and he did a good job.
I found it on Amazon Prime

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
How it Ends

Netflix original film with Forest Whitake and some white guy. There's an unknown event on the West Coast that takes out power across the country and knocks out communications and the white guy and Forest take a road trip across a very empty United States from Chicago to Seattle that takes too long. The first half hour of the film is pretty good but that's about it. The pistol that Forest has is I think magic?

Acting's pretty good, I like the characters, but the writing is really bad.

I'd give this an 7/10

really my kind of movie, liked it a lot

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Hostiles

Wish I'd seen this in the theaters, as the cinemetography was gorgeous. Not a bad movie, but it did get a little slow in some places. It was definitely more drama than action and I was hoping for more action. Overall enjoyed it, though, and the acting was great. Just ran a little long is all.

good to hear i've got it on my amazon watch list

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Hunt for the Wilderpeople: a classic "odd pair" comedy, with a urban kid pairing with his outdoorsy foster father. Sam Neil is the foster father and the kid is played by the kid who was the villain in Deadpool 2. A big local hit, this was made by Taika Waititi, one of the two minds behind What We Do in the Shadows (which you should see right now if you have not). One of the side character should join "overacting anonymous", but as a whole it is a very well made and very funny comedy. 8/10

no kidding this is the first time i've seen one of your film festival movies. this was a great movie

Szlia

Kiroy Kiroy if you enjoyed this and What We Do in the Shadows, let me recommend another comedy from New Zealand that I saw a few years back: Housebound. It's about a young woman back to her childhood home with her mother because she is in house arrest... but something is not quite right with the house! A comedy that takes unexpected twist and turns!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I Love You, Daddy

This is that black and white Woody Allen looking film Louis CK put out with John Malkovich and Chloe Hit Girl that got destroyed because Louie liked taking his dick out in front of women.

It was a little too long and it had some issues with tone as it hopped around from being very funny to dramatic, teases a dark turn, and then stays dramatic for the last act but overall I was very happy with it. Malkovich is really great, there's some excellent dialogue, and it's really funny in spots. It's strangely red pilled at a couple different points and I recognized a bunch of pick up artistry in Malkovich's dialogue. I think Louis CK knows a ton about picking up chicks.

I thought it would be a trainwreck or pervy or both but it wasn't. Solid thumbs up.

Oldbased

> Than U
Salyut 7 ( foreign film. Russian space station in 1985 spinning out of control about to be captured by US space shuttle. Russia sends commienaughts to save it ) Amazon Prime movie.
Not to bad. Worth a watch if you like some history and space shit.

Goatface

Time Trap (2017)
A group of students venture into the deep caves of remote Texas to locate a favorite archaeology professor who inexplicably has gone missing while searching for the Fountain of Youth.

the trailer spoils a lot

6/10 mainly for the concept
cheap and the kids are fairly cringy, but surprisingly enjoyed it

Szlia

I probably already mentioned this movie a few years back, but I recently watched again a marvelous argentinian film called Historias Extraordinarias (Extraordinary Stories). It's a film in three parts for a total length just north of 4 hours. It's a film all about story telling, packed with unexpected twist and turns, at times moving drama at times dry comedy. The shoe string budget and the omnipresence of the narrator that weaves mundane images into a complex tapestry is reminiscent of some early Greenaway short films like Vertical Feature Remake.

While the quality is not great, it so happens that the film is available on youTube with (somewhat dubious) english subtitles! Check it out!

PS: I very rarely re-watch movies, but the director, Mariano Llinás, has a new multi part film out (La Flor - The Flower - this time for an almost 14 hours duration!) that was shown in a festival nearby and that I did not get to see, so I rewatched this one to get my fix of experimental argentinian storytelling!

spronk

FPS noob
BlacKkKlansmen - 4/10. I don't really like Spike Lee so was gonna pass on this movie but 3 hours free today so what the heck. Kinda wish I had seen Spy Who Dumped Me or Christopher Robin instead. BK is first far too long clocking in at 2h15m and Spike Lee can't help but fumble with the story and directing, going overboard on trying to push "SEE? SEE THE RACISM?!?!?" bits especially at the end, which is cringe bad and is literally 3 endings back to back like this is some Lord of the Rings shit.

Its too bad Jordan Peele (Get Out) didn't just write and direct this, he was a producer but I think he would have focused solely on the story and let the politics and social aspects breathe naturally instead of Spike Lee driving a mack truck through the screen. The real story is more interesting and movie worthy than the insane stuff that happened at the end of this movie which was all made up. The absolute worst is the last 5 mins of the movie shows real footage from the Nazi rally/murder at Charlotesville last year and it moves from movie to Michael Moore territory at that point
How a black cop infiltrated the KKK — the true story behind Spike Lee's 'BlacKkKlansman'

Adam Driver and John Washington (son of Denzel, on the show Ballers) are both awesome and the only reason to watch this movie at home. I absolutely detest Kylo Ren but Adam Driver has been absolutely fantastic in everything else I have seen him in (Paterson, Logan Lucky), as has JW.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Alpha - 6.5/10

20,000 BC a tribe goes hunting and the chief's son is hit hard over a cliff edge and presumed dead, has to find his way home with the unlikely ally - a wolf abandoned by its own pack.

My problem with this movie is it feels like half of a movie. I just wasn't very invested in the story and it felt like the middle needed some sort of drama besides their survival. Ended kind of quick. Wasn't overly impressed, but it was a cool premise.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Mom and Dad 8/10

Surprisingly good movie that could be one of those cult hits. A dark humor horror style flick where parents across the country are suddenly driven to murder their own children. Some wasted potential but very entertaining all around.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Hot Tub Time Machine 2

I had liked the first one, heard the second one was a trainwreck, and it was. It wasn't without some good jokes but a large portion of the film is truly dreadful.

Szlia

Arbitrary Arbitrary I think the main problem with the 2nd one is that a core element of the first is missing. In the first film they went in the past, so it's all about some bitter sweet nostalgia, correcting your past mistakes and having the spectator, like the main characters, be in the know of the changes that will occur to the world that is depicted. This gives a strong emotional base for the comedy to be built upon. In the 2nd film they travel to the future, so all of this is gone and as a result we don't care and since we don't care it's very difficult to make the comedy work. I have the first one at 5/6 and this failed sequel at a kind 3/6 (as you mentioned, there are some laughs to be had here and there).

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bushwick is like a full length Youtube movie. Low budget but cool angles and camera work. Worth a look see on Netflix.

oh and Batista!

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
SkyScraper - What should have been a mindless action movie, tried to be more than it was...with not nearly enough action. Could be the Rocks worst movie for me. 5/10

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szlia

Instead of watching Bushwick or as a companion piece to it (in a different tone and style), I recommend Joe Dante's The Second Civil War (possibly a bit hard to see though as it was a TV Movie back in the mid '90s).

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The Escape Plan 2: Again, looking for a mindless action movie to turn my brain off to. It was okay, plot was thin and about half the movie didn't need to happen. Not as good as the first one (which I actually enjoyed because it fit the criteria I was looking for in it) but still a semi serviceable, action flick. 6/10

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Den of Thieves on Netflix.

Best Gerard Butler movie I have seen in years. 6/10.

It’s not great, it’s not bad, and I did stop fudging around on my iPad to watch some interesting scenes.

That is my new standard, did I look up from my iPad and why.

• 1Like