Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
ESPN did one of their 30 for 30 documentaries on Richard Jewell and it's super good. I'm disappointed to hear the movie isn't better.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Yeah the Jewell movie was a muddled mess. It could have easily been great with a director who isn't 80 years old - the material is all there and the story is sure as hell compelling enough to get anyone behind it. Great cast too, this is clearly to blame on old man Clint.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Black Mountain Side, on amazon prime.

Worth a watch. Had vibes of The THing, but in Canada...

I’m only 39 seconds in but already annoyed about the one guy playing some game on his laptop with his arms crossed!

Szlia

Recently saw two spanish movies written by Isabel Peña and Rodrigo Sorogoyen and directed by Sorogoyen. The first is a serial killer movie titled May God Save Us (Que Dios nos perdone) and the second is a political thriller titled The Realm (El reino). Both films use tired tropes, but with enough command and little twists to keep things captivating. The cop movie is the more classic of the two. You have your mismatched duo of investigators, here a loudmouthed muscular hotheaded cop and an introvert stuttering sleuth, you have the colleagues that do a shitty job and hate the guts of the main characters, you have the hierarchy that wants results without wave (as the story is set during the Pope's visit in Madrid), you have corpses popping left and right, leads that go nowhere, etc. As I said, it's all very well done, with just enough twists here and there to keep the viewer engaged.

The Realm is a little more daring in its form as it follows a corrupt politician trying to save his neck as the house of cards crumbles around him. It goes at breakneck pace and the film almost goes without any kind of classic exposition so from the word go we are at the edge of our seat just to understand what the hell is going on, and, once we do, we are at the edge of our seat to see whether or not the main character, using a whole arsenal of sweet talking, backstabbing, blackmail, threats, bold faced lies and cold hard cash, will manage to escape from his predicament or, failing that, to bring everyone down with him ! Even if we do not root for the character, we get caught in this whirlwind. There are several things in the movie I don't like (hard to say more without venturing in spoilers territory), but there are also several memorable scenes, most notably a very agitated chat on a balcony and a very long single take sequence that is a heist of sorts (with the tools of the trade being weaponized bullshit).

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
...you have the hierarchy that wants results without wave (as the story is set during the Pope's visit in Madrid)...

With a hand wave?

Will check these out tomorrow if I can find a stream. Always appreciate your recommendations. Even Stephen's Sausage Roll got an update the other day!

Szlia

Intrinsic Intrinsic well I skipped a verb in the idiomatic expression so it became confusing. I meant : "without making waves". The bigwigs want Madrid to look good while the whole catholic world is watching so they want to hide the fact a serial killer is currently active in the city.

Amusingly, in the amazing brazilian film Elite Squad (Tropa de Elite) it's an upcoming visit of the pope that prompts a big clean-up operation in the favelas.

Glad you (more often than not) enjoy my recommendations. I hope these two will keep the trend going ! :)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Hated this. Bad acting, weak story, etc.

Watched it a couple of nights ago and wouldn’t say I hated it but it could have been better. I’d say 5.5/10. The one thing I noticed, or one of the things that I noticed, is that the movie seems to consist entirely of people walking in to buildings to confront someone in the building already. Oh also they found it necessary to have everyone smoking in every scene. Camera cut, two guys lighting up, two already smoking. Next scene, guy walks in through the front door, other guy tosses him some cigs. Once things start falling apart they do seem to stop.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Rewatched Raiders of the Last Ark.

God damn the nazi blonde was smoking.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Rewatched Raiders of the Last Ark.

God damn the nazi blonde was smoking.

The Last Ark? lol

You mean this one in The Last Crusade?

1nye.gif

• 1Worf

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
LOL i thought that didnt sound right when saying it in my head. But yeah her.

• 1Worf

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Hated this. Bad acting, weak story, etc.

when you've already seen 99 percent of the truly good horror movies, and you are digging for more, then you will realize this was not half bad! trust

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Netflix horror movie The Ritual 8/10 focuses on its simple concept well and doesn't try to be more than what it is.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
It was recommended a few months ago and it was great. Very simple and effective.

@Dom Also watch Apostle if you havent yet. Another well made suspense/horror movie on netflix.

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
Rewatched Stargate after many years. Still as cheesy and entertaining as I remember.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Watched Equalizer 2 yesterday on Netflix. Hard 5/10. I like Denzel but the plot was painfully weak and fell back on the tired old mechanic of kill a friend and get him mad. The fact that they killed a female friend just sealed the deal.

Equally, I get that he is the righter of wrongs but just feel they have him use unnecessary force to solve everything when he could be so more nuanced.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Something I saw a few months back deserves a mention. Phantom Thread with Daniel Day-Lewis.

A period piece and arguably not a lot happens but the characters are exceptional and watching Day-Lewis act is a sheer joy. Real twist at the end that is a wtf! moment.

9/10