Rate Movies You've Recently Watched.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
AM1200. 40 minute Lovecraftian horror short film. It's rather good. You can watch the whole thing on vimeo

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Palm Springs - 5/10. New rom-com on Hulu starring Andy Samberg (Brooklyn 99) about basically a time loop in Palm Springs during a wedding. Its a riff on Groundhog Day but not anywhere near the same level of writing or acting and its way more a romantic comedy than a fantasy movie. The two leads are just meh, JK Simmons is kinda wasted. If you are stuck for a date night movie its fine but just another movie that you completely forget an hour later.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Pontypool - 6/10 really great concept (experiencing an unknown zombie-like event from the perspective of a morning radio show crew) that falls flat in many ways due to some poor casting and some really lame scenes

Worth watching if you enjoy weird psychological horror movies with not much action.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
The Death of Stalin - satire movie about the politics following Stalin’s death. Ridiculous and funny. Fucked up, but funny.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

The Death of Stalin - satire movie about the politics following Stalin’s death. Ridiculous and funny. Fucked up, but funny.
For reference, five friends and me made lists of our 20 favorite films of the 2010s and three of us had the film in their top 20 so it ended N°2 overall (N°1 was Lars von Trer's drama Melancholia). I put The Death of Stalin third on my list (behind the hungarian holocaust drama Son of Saul and the art house chinese police procedural Black Coal Thin Ice). The extraordinary genius of the film is the wild variety of comedy types that are used in every single scene combined with the constant hot and cold effect of giving a comedy treatment to horrible events and, if it was not enough, it is also an amazing historico-political thriller ! Add some magnificent performances by a brilliant cast and you get one of the very best film of the decade.

If you are curious here is a link to the full lists (on my very web 1.0 site). Basic google fu should give you english titles easily.

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
For reference, five friends and me made lists of our 20 favorite films of the 2010s and three of us had the film in their top 20 so it ended N°2 overall (N°1 was Lars von Trer's drama Melancholia). I put The Death of Stalin third on my list (behind the hungarian holocaust drama Son of Saul and the art house chinese police procedural Black Coal Thin Ice). The extraordinary genius of the film is the wild variety of comedy types that are used in every single scene combined with the constant hot and cold effect of giving a comedy treatment to horrible events and, if it was not enough, it is also an amazing historico-political thriller ! Add some magnificent performances by a brilliant cast and you get one of the very best film of the decade.

If you are curious here is a link to the full lists (on my very web 1.0 site). Basic google fu should give you english titles easily.

I remember now watching that movie after you posted it a while back she liking it. Damn completely forgot about that one.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Extended Cut Hobbit
Entire series blu ray

8/10

The extra filler helped me look past the barrel and love story stuff.

Netflix horror movie The Ritual 8/10 focuses on its simple concept well and doesn't try to be more than what it is.

Great Film!
Thanks for recommending 9/10

Caliane

Blew through a few Amazon prime movies the last week or so. mostly the super low budget B movie stuff.

Guns Akimbo. meh. 4/10. Total mis-messaging mess. Really do not know what this movie was going for.
Hotel Artemis. slightly better. but still 6/10. All star cast.. but eh, not much to say.
Come to Daddy. weird Elijah wood, stephen McHattie movie. just uncomfortable movie. like trying to copy, The visit. 5/10

b movie camp. its own scale. low budget, camp. usually rated higher for creativity and trying, then actually being comparable to main stream movies.
the final Level: escaping Rancala. 3/10 Asylum quality Jumanji ripoff. God awful cgi. so bad, you have to question why it was even done. decently cute chicks. but does a god awful job establishing its own concept.
Demon Squad. 5/10 some bad casting. trys to emulate film noir in the P.I.. but does not follow through with this at all. so why bother... bad casting for the "femme fatale". terrible makeup effects.. but at least trys with this.. not the best, not the worst..

Cosmos. 8/10. 168minutes of 3 guys in a car.. A directorial debut, self made movie from what I understand. some obvious influences/ripoffs... a bit overdone at times, but largely super impressive for again, a movie that is 90% 3 guys in a car at night talking.
Comparable to The Vast of Night, and the opening of Contact.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'd give Cosmos a 7/10. 6/10 for those that aren't into nerdy astronomy stuff.

It's a bit too long, focuses way too much on the character relationships, and it's efforts to create suspense just don't work.

It has some heart to it though, and will appeal to any astronomy lover.

• 2Like

Szlia

Caliane Caliane I have a friend who volunteers at the Swiss Film Archive to try and clean up their database (an endless task considering they own a bit more than 85,000 films). Film duration is always a messy topic because films can have many versions (from market to market, before or after censorship, early versions that went to festivals that is different from the released version, etc) so you have to make sure what version (or versions) is actually in the archive, but one of the main source of problem is people having lapses of concentrations that result in 100 minutes hours ! 80 minutes hours is less common :D

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

god damn you are one hard core mother fucker when it comes to film

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Glad for some more recommendations, because the crap i've tried out on hulu/netflix/prime lately has not been worth posting about.

I saw Melancholia awhile back and its solid, my kind of film. Sounds like I really need to watch Death of Stalin. When I saw the title and "comedy" I shyed away.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Just watched Digging Up The Marrow on Hulu. It was pretty solid. Sort of a movie about the making of a documentary on finding real monsters. Solid 7/10 or so.

spronk

FPS noob
Coma aka Koma - 2019 russian sci fi movie, a mix of Inception, Matrix, and a little bit of Half Life. really interesting and cool, totally worth a watch if you are a fan of Inception. Fascinating to see the Russian perspective on big concept ideas. The movie is obviously in Russian but the download I got had english dubs that was pretty good.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Palm Springs - 5/10. New rom-com on Hulu starring Andy Samberg (Brooklyn 99) about basically a time loop in Palm Springs during a wedding. Its a riff on Groundhog Day but not anywhere near the same level of writing or acting and its way more a romantic comedy than a fantasy movie. The two leads are just meh, JK Simmons is kinda wasted. If you are stuck for a date night movie its fine but just another movie that you completely forget an hour later.
Pretty much in agreement. I would add that the first half of this movie was pretty good, good amount of laughs and halfway through it falls of a cliff into pure rom com territory and just kind of goes to shit.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I'd give Cosmos a 7/10. 6/10 for those that aren't into nerdy astronomy stuff.

It's a bit too long, focuses way too much on the character relationships, and it's efforts to create suspense just don't work.

It has some heart to it though, and will appeal to any astronomy lover.

I liked Cosmos a lot, i'd give it 8/10. Would of been a great drive in movie. I saw Vast of Night at the drive in, was kinda/sorta similar. Outdoors at night + space stuff.

Just watched Digging Up The Marrow on Hulu. It was pretty solid. Sort of a movie about the making of a documentary on finding real monsters. Solid 7/10 or so

This did not work for me. Have to give it a thumbs down in a Z formation.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Netflix horror movie The Ritual 8/10 focuses on its simple concept well and doesn't try to be more than what it is.

Great recommendation!!!

Just watched it last night. Fantastic horror movie with a few surprises in it!

(no spoilers)- I LOVED the ending.

9/10

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I watched "Solomon Kane" because it popped up on my "might like" list on Tubi.

It was described as a "dark fantasy." It's like a cheap Game of Thrones without the sex, characters, or budget. It has a good concept-- protagonist is the biggest, toughest, badass in the world, but he's gone all goodie-two-shoes and given himself to Christ. Until his newly-found family is compromised. Then he sells his soul and goes into revenge mode.

Pretty typical from there, except it is clearly part of a story-arc that is never picked-up or completed.

Honestly, I would have watched the sequel (that was never, and probably will never, be made).

It's like Taco Bell- you're not getting first class anything, but it's cheap and you get what you expect.
6/10