Ray Donovan

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
For those that still watched it

Showrunners had planned to wrap it up in season 8, so season 7 ends in an unresolved spot
Wife and I stuck it out even though the show got pretty lame. After finishing season 7, and knowing it was the finale, I was pissed. It leaves it wide open with no closure to a bunch of shit.

I suppose this is the reason why!

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I was enjoying it. It got a little silly often but whatever, belief was suspended. The ending of this season did leave room for a good next season but we will never know. RIP.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sources say the decision to ax the show was made for political reasons amid the recent merger between CBS, which owns Showtime, and Viacom.

CBS Viacom is shaking things up for the better with Star Trek but caused a budget pull on Showtime

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This was 100% better than Star Trek: Facepalm

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It should be noted there was no change in execs.

The same people who piloted and greenlit and supported Ray Donovan for 7 seasons were also the same parties responsible for its cancellation.

What happened was is they became paranoid of the new watchful eyes at the highest levels, and Showtime execs felt they might not have great job security if they can't demonstrate some actions they've taken for the new CBSVIacom company when prying eyes came knocking.

This forced them to make an abrupt decision on behalf of their own personal interests. They were able to hide behind the rationale "we always talked about 7 or 8 seasons" as a foil for this self-serving decision.

The good news is the fan backlash was enough to get Showtime execs to feel enough stones to be able to greenlight a closure season for Ray Donovan.

Its either going to be a movie, or a few episodes. Cast is expected to return on set on time for season 8 in the Fall.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Awesome to hear this is still in the works. I havent seen anything about it since the show was cancelled. It really needs a conclusion.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's a shame the creator got denied an 8th season as it was agreed to pre-merger.

This is one of the few shows you could shut your brain off and escape the woke. I still skipped season 7 because of the cancelation-- after the movie is done shooting I'll watch it beforehand.