Ray Donovan

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fedor

<Banned>
YynTvbt.jpg

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The thing asked in this thread time and time again has happened and no one is here talking about it.

spronk

FPS noob
What a really weird premiere. I know Abbie dying is supposed to be emotional and everything but the way the episode was structured, the first time you realize Abby is dead I kinda just laughed at the worst character on the show being written off, off screen. But then she appears in some flashback scenes so its just weird and bizarre and lacks any real emotional punch, since most of us haven't watched the show in a year and barely remember much. If it was done for budget reasons, why did she flashback appear? If it was intentional story telling, man it was done really badly.

Also pretty sure the boy Bridgette is visiting is an organ transplant recipient from Abby, probably her heart given how over the top and hamfisted Mickey's screenplay was. Its extremely weird and creepy to stalk and maybe sleep with the guy who got your mom's heart... I did just check, and while it is possible to receive a different sex heart, life expectancy is extremely low if the body sizes don't match.

Oh well, the show met my severely lowered expectations I guess but I'm not really expecting anything amazing, just more scenes of a fucked up family that does everything it can to fuck things up even more.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I was wondering if it was just me and, taking into account all of the weird callbacks from GOT this season, was thinking that I had just either missed something huge last season or was mis-remembering what had lead up to this but this was weird as shit.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The thing asked in this thread time and time again has happened and no one is here talking about it.

You'd have to be deep on the spectrum to post in this echo chamber. You see this a lot elsehwere, but for a C list television series-- you're seeing it way too much here in this thread.

You got one guy over here talking about how the show is in its death rattle 4 seasons in and chain-posting back to back during Season 4 to the point where he was just talking to himself. Like he missed the part where its a Showtime series 4 seasons in.

Given the tone of the discussion, nobody is going to come here and pass pretty colorful roses out to you with a smile-- if that's what you're waiting for. When some individuals find other things to fixate on, maybe you'll see some actual contribution.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
You'd have to be deep on the spectrum to post in this echo chamber. You see this a lot elsehwere, but for a C list television series-- you're seeing it way too much here in this thread.

You got one guy over here talking about how the show is in its death rattle 4 seasons in and chain-posting back to back during Season 4 to the point where he was just talking to himself. Like he missed the part where its a Showtime series 4 seasons in.

Given the tone of the discussion, nobody is going to come here and pass pretty colorful roses out to you with a smile-- if that's what you're waiting for. When some individuals find other things to fixate on, maybe you'll see some actual contribution.
Do you ever get tired with how wrong you are and how little you know about this community?

Why weren't you in here talking about the death of Abby? Or whatever it was? We are processing it and figuring out what it all means. It's completely unexpected and wasn't flesh out yet. There is a story left unsaid here that we still need to learn about.

We all pretty much hated her but the flashbacks looks like she was heavily redeeming herself. If so it looks like they are going to explore that quite a bit in flashbacks so we might actually be sad to see her go by the end of that arc.

This show IS in it's death rattle and that's coming from a guy that doesn't mind that and still enjoyed the show. We all still talked about it here and there.

I don't even know what your point is in all that gibberish.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I can't tell whether you want an explanation or an argument. So here is your explanation.

I actually did go to post and made the mistake of clicking 2 pages, then another and another. I clicked because I had a premonition that people were starting to come here and talk about how bad it sucks again. Hopefully we've established the show sucks in those 30 odd posts and can move forward without hearing about how the show medium time sucks, it large time sucks, and it BIG time sucks. My point? Its a tiny 19 page thread with a small base on this forum, its overdosed on how bad the show sucks-- which, at this stage, is maybe just as pointless as me pointing that out *wink*

I postulate if you are going to repeat the last 9 pages and say the show sucks, the thread is going to suck as well. There is my point, clear and concise. Let's try to go as long as we can without saying a C list show sucks.

I'm going to find another show that isn't discussed here, of similar or less caliber, and make a thread for it as an experiment-- yes the control now being ruined.

Tell ya what though, these salt lures are no joke! Wasn't looking for deep sea bass *Tosses @a_skeleton_03 back in ocean so it can swim away*

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

It appears that the only one deep on the spectrum is you.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Weird, but Abby being killed off is great for this show.

Season is already looking better.

spronk

FPS noob
Ray Donovan Boss Explains That 'Painful' Premiere Twist: 'I Didn't Personally Want to Do It'
TVLine said:
TVLINE | So by killing Abby, she can reach her true potential?
One hundred percent. And because of the non-linear way the story is structured, she is the lead this year in many ways. She and Ray share that.

TVLINE | So Paula will remain a big part of the show throughout the season? She remains a series regular and not a recurring guest star?
That’s right. She is absolutely integral to the show this year.

TVLINE | This is Abby’s farewell season, though, right? If the show gets renewed, it’s not like Paula will continue to play an integral role via flashbacks, right?
That is very fair to say.

You can only reach your full potential by dying, Abbie
Wicked smaht!

spronk

FPS noob
i can just picture the writers jerking each other off in a room "man the viewers will be so shocked to find out ray was fucking a side piece while his wife was dying!!"

no... no we won't. i'd be more shocked if two characters didn't talk to each other like they were reading a philosophy book out loud

at least the action looks like it might step up a little bit, but holy shit the season so far has only had two standout performances: the big dog and the little dog

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I think the FBI storyline is lagging if you consider the shorter amount of episodes.

That worries me as far as delivering some more "riveting drama" goes, however it would appear this season is supposed to be more of a character piece and less about plot. The many scenes on Mick's flailing screenwriting career signal that to me as well as Terry's personal life moving up front and Bunchy stepping back.

Probably fair to say that it feels a little more existential, yet more palatable than Season 4. I don't think people were expecting a return to characters after Season 4. The James Bond shit in Season 4 was pretty left field. This season could be a little jarring for some people and I'd be concerned about ratings which are down 14% to 10% average from Season 4.

From an industry watchdog:

Despite lower numbers, in its fourth season, it was still a top-three performer for the premium cable channel. Since Showtime relies on paid subscribers, rather than ad revenue, it needs to attract and retain viewers. Last September, showrunner David Hollander said that although he is thinking about the endgame, he thinks the show could go beyond season five, if the network is willing. Flying blind, right now I think Ray Donovan will nab a sixth season renewal.

Overall, people are enjoying this season. It would be a mistake to not give it another 7 episodes to allow a proper send-off. Showtime would be sour-mouthing a lot of people if they axed it this season, and they just got done sour-mouthing Penny Dreadful fans with a rushed conclusion.

TLDR; the show needs A LOT more Bridget and more side profile of her big ol' ass. That's a whole lot of character maturation the viewers need to get caught up on.

Last edited:

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
For some reason I thought this was the final season.

I've got to say, 4 episodes in and I am pretty turned off by the story telling. It feels so, I don't know, disjointed I guess. I am hoping that it all starts to come together a bit better.

Oh, and LOL at fucking Bunch. God damn moron.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
lets take the character everyone hates and make the entire season about her, but she's dead so you only see her in flashbacks

ITS EMMY GOLD

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Jon Voight continues to be the only reason to keep watching this show. For some reason, I just absolutely love his portrayal of Mickey.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
all of the characters are existential this season Mickey is not an exception. if havi or whatever that jew fucks name is brains aren't left hanging out ive wasted my time just waste the motherfucker like the 2 dollar show this is

EP7 SCENE

*Bunch trips down the stairs and breaks his leg*

Bunch: Ahhh, my leg.

Sick story.

pens out of ink show sucks dizok rings from chardok

Last edited: