Ray Donovan

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
that is a completely shitty and weak ass excuse. You can totally make a female antagonist who is awesome and the viewers sympathize with, but the lazy way is to make her a stupid cunt who makes completely idiotic decisions with no consistency. Look at Mickey for example, he is a complete asshole but everyone loves him because he is insane and does funny shit.
Why did you use a male character as your example of how to write a good female character?

Honestly, go look in any TV thread and you'll find people bitching about the wifes - Cat Stark, Skylar, Halt and Catch Fire just three examples that instantly spring to mind.

As for your atrocious plot suggestions - just lol.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Why did you use a male character as your example of how to write a good female character?

Honestly, go look in any TV thread and you'll find people bitching about the wifes - Cat Stark, Skylar, Halt and Catch Fire just three examples that instantly spring to mind.

As for your atrocious plot suggestions - just lol.
Donna turned out to be a pretty awesome.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I like how Rerolled continually fails to realise how boring TV shows would be if the main character was in a perfect marriage/relationship. Wives exist to add another layer of storyline and characterisation, and the easiest way to do that is to make them unfaithful. They have to antagonise the main character someway, that's why HE is the protagonist and thats why SHE is one of the antagonists
I have no problem with Abby being unfaithful. I have a problem with her being willfully ignorant of what Ray does to provide her with her lifestyle, and being a terrible fucking parent.

Skylar was a decent mom and pretty smart when push came to shove. She was just bad at dealing with her own emotions.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Donna turned out to be a pretty awesome.
But people were moaning and accusing her of cuckolding Gordon before. It's the same for virtually ever TV show and it just makes people look like idiots who don't know anything about storytelling

For a while there the engineer wife was one of my favorite characters until they decided to have her raise the bitter feminist battleflag and start cuckolding Gordon.
Like seriously, how has he pulled out a "bitter feminist battleflag" from her actions?

spronk

FPS noob
wow, irish parties are fucking awesome. best episode of the season, directed by liev schrieber, awesome ending song & dance

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They should let Liev Shreiber do everything if we can have the same quality every week. Liev Shreiber presents a television show produced by Shreiber Productions : Liev Shreiber is Ray Donovan, written and directed by Liev Shrieber.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I used to have a crush on Keifer Sutherland. I think he is firmly replaced by Liev Schreiber.

Yeah that last episode so far was great.

"He wanted a party with the family, he got the family." Ray Donovan

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That episode made feel very agitated/upset.

I guess that was the point.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
That episode made feel very agitated/upset.

I guess that was the point.
Yeah, that episode hits close to home for anyone with a family member who feels entitled to the world, yet acts like an absolute piece of shit when it comes time for them to step to the plate. Essentially it's precisely what having Irish family members is like (At least in my experience). It so accurately reflects that strange mixture of neediness/dependence and anger toward the provider that it's uncanny (And I'm not even talking about the wife--EVERYIrish member of my extended family is like this). Luckily I'm only a quarter; so I only deal with this shit from my mothers side (Her father).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ray is a piece of work himself though. He is no less of a criminal than his father, and no better of a father either. He's not a good husband either. He provides monetarily, but only by being a professional badguy, not through honest labors, and thinks of himself as a martyr for his family.

spronk

FPS noob
must be some interesting behind the scene shenanigans going on
Showrunner Ann Biderman Out (Exclusive)

Ann Biderman, who launched and served as the showrunner of Showtime's hit fixer drama for its first two seasons, is stepping down for the series' recently picked-up third go-round, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Multiple sources involved with the show attribute the departure to hefty financial overruns on the series, though Biderman still will be involved as a creative consultant.

Probably not good for season 3 if they are going to slash the budget.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Ray is a piece of work himself though. He is no less of a criminal than his father,and no better of a father either.He's not a good husband either. He provides monetarily, but only by being a professional badguy, not through honest labors, and thinks of himself as a martyr for his family.
I wouldn't go that far. He hasn't involved two sons in a dive racket, and pushed one until he developed neurological disorders from having outmatched opponents pounding him. Ray's not father of the year, but everything we know about Mickey paints him as leagues worse (Both because of the stuff with the mother and because of what he did to his sons). As for being a husband, yeah, Ray is a bad one. I actually liked Abby more (In terms of family) until this season--and I don't even dislike her because she is cheating (Ray cheats, so fuck him). I dislike her because of how she is angry that she actually has to take care of the kids, even though that is literally her only job. Even my wife started rolling her eyes when Abby was saying shit like "I have a life, I can't stay home with you" (When the son got suspended) or when she was like "I'm not a chauffeur" and got the kid Uber--my wife said "Yes, yes you are a chauffeur--that isliterallypart of your job, you're a stay at home mom."

Anyway though, yeah; Ray's definitely part of the fucked up puzzle. Of all of them, Terry and Bunch are the only really decent people.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was nice to see Terry's delusional Ireland dream going havoc when Ray tells him his shitty boxing club earns nothing and he's basically Ray's employee. It also explains how Ray deals with his criminal activities, using Fite Club as a front. This season wasn't awesome but some episodes were pretty good, especially the family reunion. Shame the show is getting half axed, maybe they'll kill some high payroll casts and get away with it, but I doubt we'll ever see a season 4.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This season isn't over, it's still got 4 or 5 more episodes. I don't see it as getting half-axed either, cost overruns from a production standpoint have more to do with poorly managing all the crew on set, location shots, etc. Filming in LA costs serious money. Look at these filming locations:

Ray Donovan (TV Series 2013- ) - Filming Locations - IMDb

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Easy they can kill Mickey on the next episode and save a ton and still have a good show. Not saying I hate him on the show but they could tie that into a good story and save quite a few bucks from it.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Damn, shit's about to get real.

Edit: Next week's preview is already bugging me. Abbey "This is about your dirty business"--and her involving the guy she is fucking with the daughter. The fuck? This ENTIRE season Ray has been saying one thing--the people Marvin hangs around with are dangerous, and Bridget needs to stay away. I do not understand what has to happen for her to realize Ray has some experience with these things.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Damn, shit's about to get real.

Edit: Next week's preview is already bugging me. Abbey "This is about your dirty business"--and her involving the guy she is fucking with the daughter. The fuck? This ENTIRE season Ray has been saying one thing--the people Marvin hangs around with are dangerous, and Bridget needs to stay away. I do not understand what has to happen for her to realize Ray has some experience with these things.
She is a cunt. I hope that cop gave her aids.

spronk

FPS noob
lot of foreshadowing that episode that was gonna happen. The MIA jew partner was great, good mix of cluelessness and money-solves-everything portrayed there.

I'm pretty sure Bridget is still gonna die before the end of the season, probably Abbie convinces her to testify behind Ray's back and gets her killed, breaking up the family (Abbie will blame Ray of course). RIP Marvin, you were a good little homie

Cookie seems to be pretty much a cookie cutter copy of Suge Knight, who himself was shot just a few days ago lol. Makes ya wonder if there were witnesses at the Tupac and Biggie murders that got silenced/paid off
Suge Knight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the only thing that bugged me was the Mickey arc, it seemed lame that a little choking would blow up the deal. Hollywood Producers rape teenage boys and girls and do all sorts of depraved shit, but whoah these guys draw the line at a little slapping around? Like there wouldn't be a ton of people who hate the guy that Mickey chocked. It woulda been more realistic if Mickey started talking about how he found Jesus in his time in prison and became a solid conservative NRA believer, that woulda quickly left him abandoned by those guys.