Reacher

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It did have some serious Jessica Jones energy but isn't that also the first time in the show that someone actually successfully tags him with a weapon? Scrawny or not, getting slapped with a hunk of solid steel hurts.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It did have some serious Jessica Jones energy but isn't that also the first time in the show that someone actually successfully tags him with a weapon? Scrawny or not, getting slapped with a hunk of solid steel hurts.
Reacher is almost 6'6" beast monster.
I'm drunk so bed

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I dont know what that means but I remember a video of Jay cutler saying you only need to do 25 minute sessions a day to get huge in a way

Different kind of lifting. I assume Jay was going for strength while Alan is going for bulk. Building bulk means you use lower weight and a lot more reps.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You don't think a steel bar would hurt?

Of course it would hurt, if a guy half your size could get close enough to you to swing it even though you see him coming because he just tried to shoot you, and you used one of the other, better trained armed commandoes that you manhandled with no problem, as a shield. And then the little twerp half your size manages to be the only one to hurt you... with a crowbar.... again.... after you just destroyed better trained, bigger men... who had guns. Right after successfully not getting shot by the little twerp, who unloaded his gun at you.

Definitely no problem at all with that scene.

Last edited:

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Different kind of lifting. I assume Jay was going for strength while Alan is going for bulk. Building bulk means you use lower weight and a lot more reps.
Jay Cutler is one of the premier body builders of his day. He would have been pushing for mass, but yea, he may have been talking about his opinion on what natural body builders can get away with/need, not his own roid workouts.

It's been a while now, but Arnold's encyclopedia and every body building thing I have ever read is the opposite:
  • High reps (15+) low weight rip fewer muscle strands per rep and better spreads out the damage, which leads to higher endurance and smaller mass per strength gained. Good for most performance athletes.
  • Whereas high weight low reps (under 15) rips more muscle strands apart in the same area, which sacrifices endurance but builds more mass when all the new strands heal in the same area. Good for bodybuilding.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Jay Cutler is one of the premier body builders of his day. He would have been pushing for mass.

It's been a while now, but Arnold's encyclopedia and every body building thing I have ever read is the opposite:
  • High reps (15+) low weight rip fewer muscle strands per rep and better spreads out the damage, which leads to higher endurance and smaller mass per strength gained. Good for most performance athletes.
  • Whereas high weight low reps (under 15) rips more muscle strands apart in the same area, which sacrifices endurance but builds more mass when all the new strands heal in the same area. Good for bodybuilding.

I thought we were talking about the QB

And you are remembering the rest of that stuff backwards. Looks like the first part of each sentence might be right but I'm not sure I never got into the science of why.

If that came from a bodybuilder book, the disconnect might be what he considers low rep. For strength training anything over 10 is high reps. That said under 15 reps is low. My last set is at 95% of my max and if I do 3 reps, I add more weight and try again till I fail (and then re-adjust my weights for next time). The highest reps I do is 5 at 75% of my max. Just a different world. Sounds like bodybuilders have learned that there is such a thing as too many reps.

Burns

I thought we were talking about the QB

And you are remembering the rest of that stuff backwards. Looks like the first part of each sentence might be right but I'm not sure I never got into the science of why.

If that came from a bodybuilder book, the disconnect might be what he considers low rep. For strength training anything over 10 is high reps. That said under 15 reps is low. My last set is at 95% of my max and if I do 3 reps, I add more weight and try again till I fail (and then re-adjust my weights for next time). The highest reps I do is 5 at 75% of my max. Just a different world. Sounds like bodybuilders have learned that there is such a thing as too many reps.
15 reps was just the cutoff number picked. Arnold's book for his roid workout was like 3 to 5 sets of 10, but something like 10+ different lifts per body part. Due to the enhanced healing of the roids, he was able to work every body part, every other day.

When I quit the gym rat life, the current body building stuff for natural lifters was mostly about low reps (8-6-4), fast-ish sets and a body part a day (I started trying to do a couple supersets per day too). You make sure to put at least a 1 day break between supporting body parts like chest, arms, and shoulders. Some muscles heal faster than others, so where you could do calves every other day, your shoulders and chest really needed a couple days to full heal.

I whittled my lifting down from 1.5 hours, trying to somewhat follow Arnolds every other day roid routine (I was young, so my body was able to keep up) to (years later) 30 to 45 minutes just doing a body part a day. I was still building strength and mass doing the shorter routine but it's hard to compare the two, as the more muscle/strength you have, the harder it seems to build more. Also, that's not counting 30 min of cardio.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
15 reps was just the cutoff number picked. Arnold's book for his roid workout was like 3 to 5 sets of 10, but something like 10+ different lifts per body part. Due to the enhanced healing of the roids, he was able to work every body part, every other day.

When I quit the gym rat life, the current body building stuff for natural lifters was mostly about low reps (8-6-4), fast-ish sets and a body part a day (I started trying to do a couple supersets per day too). You make sure to put at least a 1 day break between supporting body parts like chest, arms, and shoulders. Some muscles heal faster than others, so where you could do calves every other day, your shoulders and chest really needed a couple days to full heal.

I whittled my lifting down from 1.5 hours, trying to somewhat follow Arnolds every other day roid routine (I was young, so my body was able to keep up) to (years later) 30 to 45 minutes just doing a body part a day. I was still building strength and mass doing the shorter routine but it's hard to compare the two, as the more muscle/strength you have, the harder it seems to build more. Also, that's not counting 30 min of cardio.

Yeah, in HS it was legs/arms every other day with sundays off. As old as I am now, I can't go that hard for long. I'll take a week off and come back noticeably stronger. I've not had a problem with stalling out as I got stronger (other than the natural plateaus everyone gets with any physical activity). Probably because my workouts are based on my max and the weights go up as needed. I'm not building any mass to speak of. I'm large enough, I just want to be stronger.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Jay Cutler is one of the premier body builders of his day. He would have been pushing for mass, but yea, he may have been talking about his opinion on what natural body builders can get away with/need, not his own roid workouts.

Dorian Yates trained exclusively this way. As did Mike Mentzer who wrote a book on it.

It's strange to do 15-25 reps on every single set. Especially set 4,5,6 that Khane Khane was talking about.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Theres plenty of research out now that shows the optimal ranges for building mass or strength. There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to reps. Its mostly about amount of sets and reps. Diet is the main factor behind it. You can do as many reps as you want but if you arent eating you arent growing.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
According to Mentzer, biologists and physiologists since the nineteenth century have known that hypertrophy is directly related to intensity, not duration, of effort

Burns

Yarp, it seems my memory was a bit faulty. Hypertrophy looks to be the sweet spot for bodybuilders. So, I guess I never looked at gaining strength as a primary focus, and always figured it would come naturally with mass. Thus making "high reps" mean doing 15 or more reps, to me, and low reps was 10 and under. The only time I ever went over 10 reps was warmup sets, unless you count super sets with cheaters.

2023-05-02 15.27.17 www.builtlean.com fe51a484b392.png

2023-05-02 14.47.19 jhhclmfgfllimlhabjkgkeebkbiadflb a076e83dc2a8.png

2023-05-02 14.48.02 jhhclmfgfllimlhabjkgkeebkbiadflb fabb95bc6556.png

• 1Solidarity

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Exactly why I said Reacher's volume is pretty low for a guy with his body.

Look at the total sets Arnold recommended for regular enhanced guys. Astronomical. Even with a pharmacy, I'm not sure I could keep up with 50% of that in my prime. 25 set shoulders? 20 set legs, 17 set chest. Wincing hard at the 12 sets for forearms specifically. He must have been splitting these in half in the same day. 2 workouts a day.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
WTF is this gay shit. Only question is, is Roscoe in the new season or not?

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Disappointing. Going to be hard to top her for any kind of love interest.
Reacher more has sex than relationships. There is only one love interest that lasted 2 books. His whole wandering warrior vibe doesn't make for relationships.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
To hell with a love interest, they just had great on screen chemistry period.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob

he plays the head of corporate security or something, he was great in peacemaker too

• 1Like