Ready Player One (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
The entire plot of the book was a quest that a dude created using his favorite pieces of 80's pop culture as the content for the puzzles that needed to be solved. Are you seriously complaining about the winner of that contest knowing too much about 80's pop culture?

Do you also whine about people that win medals at the Olympics being too athletic and training too hard?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
80's Trivial Pursuit: The Movie. Can't wait for Ready Player Two: 1990's Edition! Maybe he can memorize Saved by the Bell and SEGA CD trivia!

The crowd burst into applause. I-r0k lowered his head in shame.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
This movie was garbage, and all the 80s stuff is cringe, and i'm the target audience.

too much back to the future shit, wtf feels like every 10mins they throw a bttf reference.

gundam was stupid, and i've watched everyone, instead they had 5 buddies, fucking voltron!

Feels like it coulda been so much better.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The Sixers have no honor, Parzival-san

I'm shocked Daito and Shoto didn't look like this in the movie:

mickey-rooney-breakfast-at-tiffanys.jpg

tumblr_mgdqd973Q11rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
WHICH NECKBEARD WILL RISE TO DEFEND THE HONOR OF FAIR READY PLAYER ONE BOOK?

Needless

Toe Sucker
i'll admit the movie was better than i thought it would be, doesnt necessarily mean it was good though lol

god the book was such a pile of horse shit though. How did it ever get popular lol

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
2b8.png

I get it, I get it! You're still upset about Aech turning out to be a fat homeless black chick and it broke your heart because you had to rewrite all your flaming RP1 fanfic.

Look, if you want to make fun of nerds that are nostalgic about video games and stuff, you could probably find a better venue than a message board for a MMPRPG powergamer guild full of Parzival and Aech and Art3mis wannabes. You do realize that you are one of the nerdiest of the nerds if you even know the definition of the word "poopsock", right?

• 1Seriously?

elidib

Vyemm Raider
The movie was good. it told a fun story, had plenty of action and adventure, did not get too bogged down by the love story, had a decent villain and cut out a lot of the unnecessary shit from the book. It could have been slightly better if i wanted to nitpick, but this was not pacific rim, rampage, the meg, or transformers level of bad.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

The book was generally only popular in the specific crowd that it needed to be popular with to get a movie.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
"I pulled up in my ... DELOREAN!!!"
Reader: OH MAN I KNOW WHAT THAT IS OMG!!! CLAPPING IM CLAPPING

"It had a non-functioning ... FLUX CAPACITOR!"
Reader: HO-LEE- SHIT! THAT'S FROM BTTF!!

"I had stuck the logos from ... GHOSTBUSTERS... on the doors!!!"
Reader: I REMEMBER GHOSTBUSTERS! OMG! I'm GONNA CUM!

• 5Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 7 users

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Adebisi Adebisi would you have liked Ready Player One if the cars weren't nods to those super lame movies that nobody liked?

Can you just imagine how much better the story would have been if everyone was riding around on one of those bad boys instead of those stupid nerdy cars and spaceships and robots???

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
You're making my point.

The book is a list of shit Ernest Cline remembers from the 80s. Might as well have watched a YouTube playlist of 80s toy commercials.

Here... Let me help

• 1Picard

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Book was good. I thought he did a good job building the relationships.

Movie had none of that.

5/10 mostly due to Gundam vs Mechagodzilla.

• 1Seriously?

gak

<Gold Donor>
Moved along at a good pace most of the time so I'd recommend it as a brainless family movie.

With my cheap subwoofer the windows were rattling often, people with better/more subs will really be able to crank it and loosen a tooth.

d.jpg

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Best Buy actually delivered the 4k steelbook of this to my house today. A few days ahead of schedule. Nice!

SPKaMeG.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Bought the 4K, enjoyed the first half, started doing laundry, and got bored. Kinna funny how this much flare, flash, nostalgia, isn't enough to keep my attention. Can't imagine it being any better for its target audience, which in and of itself is hypocritical. My demographic? Kids? I don't know. Also, the ham fisted white trash, stacked trailers you'd see in some third world countries with wired bandwidth to support this kind of virtual infrastructure with no latency? Lol. K. But still, good visuals, good sound, I'm sure I'll re-watch it through to the end next time, likely more than once, but like several other movies I own, not because it's at all any good. I'd say it's about 0.2 points below Tron Legacy. Gave it 2/5, on visual quality, and sound alone. It's a good tool for checking the quality of your home setup. If I had had expectations, I'd give it 1/5. So there's that. I could see the potential, but it was too try hard, derivative (albeit inherently so), but suffers the typical half assed book to movie translation, lazy compression of storytelling that is really dry and basic. I feel bad for the animators who could have spent their efforts elsewhere, because honestly it is an amazingly beautiful movie. Similarly, the sound mixing is top notch. Warner Bros should borrow their studio for a DC film or two.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Movie delivered all the 90s style special-effects-action-flick vibes I crave these days. Really happy with it. One of my favourite watches in recent memory.

• 1Like