Ready Player One (2018)

spronk

FPS noob
Someone was saying they ran out of money on this film and had to rush it unfinished. That could be why the pacing was off.

I have not watched it yet though.

i don't think steven spielberg "runs out of money" on a movie of his. Its also a 2 hour 21 min movie, the pacing is off (and its not, really) because it is already so damn long.

Its over $400m worldwide already as well.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
i don't think steven spielberg "runs out of money" on a movie of his. Its also a 2 hour 21 min movie, the pacing is off (and its not, really) because it is already so damn long.

Its over $400m worldwide already as well.
That's good to hear. Someone on the set was saying they had to cut a bunch because of the budget and running out of funds.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Enjoyed the film, not read the books.

Only thing I felt was missing was an Irok IRL reveal - either a neckbeard or 13 year old girl. Missed comic opportunity!
Neckbeard confirmed; the guy is scared to lose "more than 10 years of items in there"... (with the comic drop of a massively gigantic pile of stuff, including round shields and whatnot, when he's blown up)

The book i-R0k is not very good (and basically there for 1 chapter - the only role that he has is providing IOI with the crucial hint about who Parzival is IRL. The rest of i-R0k is pure movie invention)

Juvarisx

Florida
That's good to hear. Someone on the set was saying they had to cut a bunch because of the budget and running out of funds.

The only thing they were absolutely forced to cut was the Blade Runner stuff which they replaced with The Shining scene. It was because BR2049 was not out when they were making RPO.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Wanted to love this flick...Thought it was OK. Give it a 6 outta 10.

Found my self in the same boat. I had a lot of fun with the book and I could see enjoying the movie more if I hadn't read the book. But a combination of the changes + not enough screen time to cover some important parts of the book hurt it. I think it would have been better almost as 3 movies. One for each key etc.

A big thing I disliked was how quickly they went through Parz admitting he loved Art3mis then her basically getting over it in 5 minutes. In the book it pretty much crushed him after that moment. But because of time limitations they obviously couldn't go that route

my 18 year old self from everquest and shitty phone center job time could really relate to the above and the part from the book where he's doing technical support for IOI. Kinda pointless to have in a single movie, but i think it's great for giving more details to the characters and the world.

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Saw this yestarday. I enjoyed it. Silly movie based on a silly book. Way too many "LOOK AT THIS REFERENCE" shots (did we really need to see Tracer three fucking times?) that could have been dedicated to fleshing out the world more, but it was fun enough.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Saw this yestarday. I enjoyed it. Silly movie based on a silly book. Way too many "LOOK AT THIS REFERENCE" shots (did we really need to see Tracer three fucking times?) that could have been dedicated to fleshing out the world more, but it was fun enough.

She wasn't the only repeat blizzard character either. His drunken uncle or w/e was James Raynor. Think i saw some other chars also just cant remember specifically which ones. Think maybe a wow char or two like an orc hero (garrosh maybe?)

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this for a third time today, wanted to check out a new theater that opened a bit far away. Crazy comfy chairs, I kinda want one of em at home now. I actually really enjoyed it on third watch, the first two key sequences (especially the second one!), the night club scene, and the big ending fight all are pretty awesome all-CGI fights to experience. I re-read the book over the weekend as well so I caught a lot more small easter eggs, like Aech's van has the lich from Tomb of Horror on the back, there is a Joust poster at the end, they show/talk about Ludos twice, the Perseus Shield from Clash of the Titans makes a brief appearance at the end, and a ton more.

If you are in your 30s+ and didn't go see it yet I'd still recommend it, its a fun movie. Its not a great movie, and there is a 20 minute segment in the middle IRL where it just grinds to a complete halt and I fell asleep for a minute, but otherwise I was still wildly entertained. And whats the point of having money and free time if not to do enjoyable things...

At least 205 things to catch, there are least another 30+:
Ready Player One: Complete Easter Egg and Reference Guide

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thinking back on it, the biggest disappointment for me is in the movie he doesn't really play a 'game' in the sense like he did in the book. It would of been awesome if he actually had to play Joust or Zork or the D&D module. I still think the movie was ok, just not great.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Thinking back on it, the biggest disappointment for me is in the movie he doesn't really play a 'game' in the sense like he did in the book. It would of been awesome if he actually had to play Joust or Zork or the D&D module. I still think the movie was ok, just not great.

I think this is how I felt after the first viewing. A friend wanted to see it and I needed the points so I went again with her. Was much better the second time for me when I just went in not instinctively comparing it with the book. She had the same reaction I first did. Being a little let down because of comparing it with the book and lack of playing the games too. At least they KINDA incorporated something with it like Adventure at the end. But I agree, the joust/zork would have been fun too.

I also think maybe this could have been better suited for a multi part movie or tv series. Could have had each movie focus on a key etc. At the same time I think there isn't enough material to fill 2-3 movies effectively either. But too much for one.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I think this is how I felt after the first viewing. A friend wanted to see it and I needed the points so I went again with her. Was much better the second time for me when I just went in not instinctively comparing it with the book. She had the same reaction I first did. Being a little let down because of comparing it with the book and lack of playing the games too. At least they KINDA incorporated something with it like Adventure at the end. But I agree, the joust/zork would have been fun too.

I also think maybe this could have been better suited for a multi part movie or tv series. Could have had each movie focus on a key etc. At the same time I think there isn't enough material to fill 2-3 movies effectively either. But too much for one.

TV Mini-series would be fantastic.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Saw it yesterday was good. Don't know anything about the book , so I don't know if the adaptation is done well or not.
One thing that bugged me was, at the end, Halliday said that reality was better because was real....so I thought "after beating the game, OASIS will end so that people can enjoy their lives in the real world, with real friends. That was always Halliday objective: have an adventure with your 'friends' but don't forget there is a real world, more important than the game."
NOPE! The final message didn't matter at all and OASIS still stands.

all in all....6-7/10

PS: I only nerd the fuck out when the Gundam appeared lol

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This seems like a confused movie (never read the book).

I believe I'm part of the target audience; a 34 year old who grew up on 80's movies and video games. But the plot just seemed really...poor. Shit, the ending reminded me of a low budget 90's type movie for kids. The entire end sequence really exemplifies it, with the multiple van door openings and then the "bad guys in the cop car" shit.

I guess in reading all of the complaints about comparisons to books, it sounds like they just didn't have the time to fully flesh it out. What I watched was just all over the place. And in the end, everything just seemed way too convenient.

So while I appreciate the pulp culture references and the visuals, they weren't enough alone to carry this one. It really needed a more "even" plot throughout.

Edit: Haven't finished watching, but damn that Half in the Bag review nailed it; it's a movie targeted at tweens, but with references for people 3 times their age. Sounds like the book is kind of a real shit show as well.

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The book was complete garbage.

So I'm not sure if it's much of a compliment when I say that the movie is better than the book. Most of the book was gutted for the movie ... it's as if someone just gave the screenwriter a sixty second elevator pitch of RPO and that's what he used for the foundation of the script. Too bad they didn't even use the only part that I thought was kinda original and funny:

joust_with_the_lich_king_by_vorkosigan5-d7oj9bv.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

So I'm not sure if it's much of a compliment when I say that the movie is better than the book. Most of the book was gutted for the movie ... it's as if someone just gave the screenwriter a sixty second elevator pitch of RPO and that's what he used for the foundation of the script. Too bad they didn't even use the only part that I thought was kinda original and funny:

I rather enjoyed the book. I found it compelling.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot

The book and movie were fine. They were fun. They just aren't anywhere near being masterpieces. Where the new Jurassic Park movies are utter trash and not fun either for me. So i figure these at least have that advantage.

The Joust bit just wasn't movie material I figured. Because I agree, that was a very enjoyable part of the book. Same thing with reenacting movies or playing Zork. They just don't translate well and there isn't enough time in a movie to do a good portion of the book right with how many scenes there were.

If you've ever worked a call center, they nailed the part where he had to do tech support perfectly in the book too.

I just think they didn't have enough time to do it all in a movie. Would have been better as a multi part series with how many little scenes that held a lot of character were in the book and not in the movie.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
The entire book was:

*bad thing happens*
"But luckily I memorized this little bit of 80's trivia ..."

wm2KQ7z.gif

I seriously question the literary tastes of anyone who enjoys the book.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users