Ready Player One (2018)

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I dont know personally. Never read the book. But, the trailer and very concept seems to give away the "moral". to the point, why does this even exist?

Here, let me guess.
"turn of your video games, comics books, and go outside and do something for real."

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I dont know personally. Never read the book. But, the trailer and very concept seems to give away the "moral". to the point, why does this even exist?

Here, let me guess.
"turn of your video games, comics books, and go outside and do something for real."
I have read the book (and wouldn't recommend it). Your guess is about as far off as it can be.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
As someone who though the book was relatively pleasing nostalgia bait until it got bogged down in Deus Ex Machinas about artifact cool downs and Future espionage and speed read through the second half:
1) Am I supposed to know who Voldemort Hulk is? His well funded opponent?
2) What the fuck is the Iron Giant doing in this? That ain't 80's nostalgia. Now, if Spielberg made his son Max (born in 85) sit down and said "Tell me what would have been the coolest things you could imagine when you were 15", then I'd believe it.

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
2) What the fuck is the Iron Giant doing in this? That ain't 80's nostalgia. Now, if Spielberg made his son Max (born in 85) sit down and said "Tell me what would have been the coolest things you could imagine when you were 15", then I'd believe it.

My guess is that they swapped Iron Giant for Ultraman. Not enough American movie goers know Ultraman to have that nostalgic connection. Iron Giant on the other hand....

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't have the slightest clue what 1) is about, but...

2) The OASIS in 2045 would have several decades of pop culture icons running around. The treasure hunt was focused on the 1980s, and was only a very very very small part of the OASIS.

The question we should be asking about the trailer is "Why are there absolutely zero penis monsters?"

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
My guess is that they swapped Iron Giant for Ultraman. Not enough American movie goers know Ultraman to have that nostalgic connection. Iron Giant on the other hand....
more realistically, they swapped it for an IP they have the rights to. ready player one and Iron Giant are both Warner Brothers productions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
the Creator of Oasis was obsessed with the 80's nostalgia, and the scavenger hunt was made by him thus...the 80's focus on the scavenger hunt for the 3 keys (of which noone has found the first key-MC finds it by looking in a spot no one thought of as being "in oasis"- yet). i mean one of the phases is
the main character BECOMES Matthew Broderick in wargames and has to recite the correct lines within like 30 seconds of the movie,,,

Edit fixed movie ref in spoiler had wrong one

Last edited:

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Just a random pop culture avatar in the final fight I bet.
I doubt it.

I seem to recall some massive space battle "off-screen" between Evil Corp and team Protagonist because reasons (That's how little I recommend the book - I can't even name a character); that all the kids are wearing 101 gear suggests they're employees of Evil Corp and they've swapped out the finale for that. (The Delorean doors opening is almost certainly someone from Team Protagonist jumping out of their doomed vehicle and into the Delorean.) That Hulkemort is in both Scorpion shootout and Trackmania guarantees he is a named character, and him driving through his own team in Trackmania paints him as evil.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I doubt it.

I seem to recall some massive space battle "off-screen" between Evil Corp and team Protagonist because reasons (That's how little I recommend the book - I can't even name a character); that all the kids are wearing 101 gear suggests they're employees of Evil Corp and they've swapped out the finale for that. (The Delorean doors opening is almost certainly someone from Team Protagonist jumping out of their doomed vehicle and into the Delorean.) That Hulkemort is in both Scorpion shootout and Trackmania guarantees he is a named character, and him driving through his own team in Trackmania paints him as evil.
I read it a week ago, I think you are forgetting a few things.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
more realistically, they swapped it for an IP they have the rights to. ready player one and Iron Giant are both Warner Brothers productions.

It probably has more to do with the fact that the rights to Ultraman have been tied up in a legal dispute for years and Warner Bros. doesn't want to get involved in that. The company has some history with the property though or rather they acquired some when they bought MGM, which produced an animated Ultraman movie back in the 80's.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i'm going to guess that instead of "80's nostalgia" the movie is just going to be "pop culture reference" because the halo assualt rifle is in there as well as harley quinn and deathstroke/deadpool so who knows.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The 80's nostalgia is important to the plot if they follow the book. It's Spielberg so you damn well know he's going to cram as much product placement in this fucker and it would actually make sense to have more current things like halo etc.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
i'm going to guess that instead of "80's nostalgia" the movie is just going to be "pop culture reference" because the halo assualt rifle is in there as well as harley quinn and deathstroke/deadpool so who knows.

Deathstroke would be 80's nostalgia. I read The Judas Contract and the Teen Titans/X-Men crossover back in the 80's and he was in both.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
None of you read the book that claim to, I swear.

The quest was 80's but that didn't mean every single aspect of OASIS was only 80's. You are going to see a metric fuckton of pop culture references just because they can do it, especially as background noise like every single thing that you guys have mentioned.

Hai guyz I saw a weapon used that was from a video game that technically was in development during 1989 but wasn't released to stores until January 13th 1990. This movie is off canon, not going to watch it now!! SNORT!!

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
oasis - itself- is EVERY Genre- from scifi to fantasy to fps to whatever.
oasis -as mentioned in the book
star wars, star trek, everquest, wow, firefly, back to the future, battlestar galactica knight rider, Zork, ultraman etc etc.

the SCAVENGER HUNT, is 80's Nostalgia.

i mean Parzival- after finishing gate one has a car in oasis
the delorean from back to the future
has kitt's from knight rider including the cylon lightstrobe
and has buckaroo banzai's matter thingy so he can drive through things.

and he can use magic.

edit: started rereading the book since it has been a few years.

Last edited:

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
I read the book three times and still enjoy it. I've been reading it to my son in preparation for the movie.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I know nothing about this book or movie but I can't hear the name without thinking about the bad old days of Windows where every piece of software you installed tried to make you install RealPlayer and the Yahoo toolbar but God help you if you actually tried to use RealPlayer because it never fucking worked because it was missing a codec or some shit. Also, every time you went to a relative's house they wanted you to spend an hour trying to figure out why their computer was so slow.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
The book got annoying for me about half way through, but the trailer looks like what I imagined in my head, so that was cool.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users