Red Dead Redemption 2

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Some of this stuff is starting to sound like Brad McQuaid Pie-in-the-Sky shit...but then I remember it's Rockstar. I don't know what to think!

I'll probably get this for Xbox One X. I really wish PC version was coming at launch.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Is this for real worth upgrading to a PS4 Pro + 4K TV if I don't have either already? Time for me to go Best Buy and see the 4K difference for myself maybe?

Keep in mind that distance from the display matters. Too far away and you won't be able to see the difference. This might help: TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science. The HDR might still be worth it even if your setup isn't going to take advantage of the 4k, but I'm not even sure if that's been confirmed for RDR2 outside of the xbox one x

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Keep in mind that distance from the display matters. Too far away and you won't be able to see the difference. This might help: TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science. The HDR might still be worth it even if your setup isn't going to take advantage of the 4k, but I'm not even sure if that's been confirmed for RDR2 outside of the xbox one x

Guess I need to look into an 8K projector. 140" at 6ft broke their charts.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Have to remember however that this is for video content. Video game content is obviously going to be much different because Pro and XBox One X also push higher texture detail, whereas most, if not quite a bit of video content, is still shot in 720p-1080p and upscaled. You can completely tell the difference between something like Planet Earth 2 (Shot in 4k) compared to another program (Disc) where it was upscaled or "Enhanced". Which is really the crux of the problem still today.

Distant Viewer has always been dependent on what content is being shown and what source, and that is such a toss up right now that those numbers aren't entirely accurate. Video games however, with higher textures, AA, and higher resolution whether dynamic, checkerboard, or native, you will see a bigger difference.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Have to remember however that this is for video content. Video game content is obviously going to be much different because Pro and XBox One X also push higher texture detail, whereas most, if not quite a bit of video content, is still shot in 720p-1080p and upscaled. You can completely tell the difference between something like Planet Earth 2 (Shot in 4k) compared to another program (Disc) where it was upscaled or "Enhanced". Which is really the crux of the problem still today.

Distant Viewer has always been dependent on what content is being shown and what source, and that is such a toss up right now that those numbers aren't entirely accurate. Video games however, with higher textures, AA, and higher resolution whether dynamic, checkerboard, or native, you will see a bigger difference.

Yes, the source of the image and any applicable upscaling should be considered, but the differences within the calculations are so little between them that it's best to just assume that they're native and go from there as it would be foolish to design your setup around the lottery of native vs scaled content sources, as designing around one complicates the other. Also, scaling gets better and better and native content becomes more common, so just aiming for the native is the safer bet. You're probably going to run into viewing angle problems before resolution ones in a setup anyway.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Some very non-bads conversation going on in this thread right now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Some very non-bads conversation going on in this thread right now.

This might be obvious but dont even think about getting a 4k TV without HDR. With all the bullshit upscaling that goes on in most games I'd argue that HDR actually provides better impact for most users.

I have both a PS4 Pro and Xbox1X by the way and I barely notice any difference between them. But the difference between my regular xbox and both of the better consoles is huge.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
What is/was this? Seems like it was removed.

Capture.JPG

• 4Like
  • 2Jonesing
Reactions: 5 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok just placed the preorder. Xbox One X Special Edition - with BB Gamers Club still active until 2020! :) Haha woot.

63 bucks.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Ok just placed the preorder. Xbox One X Special Edition - with BB Gamers Club still active until 2020! :) Haha woot.

63 bucks.

Thats what I did, but still on the fence if I'll end up gettin git for a PS or not and then get a pro

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So HZD looks amazing on a regular pleb ps4. Do we expect this one to look the same? I know in 4k it's dick suck awesome but what will it look like to the plebs? Asking for a friend...

I didn't play til I got my pro and 4k tv, and it blew me away. I can't imagine that a non 4k experience would come close to the jaw dropping visuals in that game.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There's been an apparent followup on the no-minimap directions stuff. The dialogues have the directions at all times, and the minimap has nothing to do with it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I didn't play til I got my pro and 4k tv, and it blew me away. I can't imagine that a non 4k experience would come close to the jaw dropping visuals in that game.
I'm playing on regular and it's amazing. It's on a LG oled but non 4k. I need to embrace the console life and get a Pro for this!

• 1Like