Red Dead Redemption 2

Brad2770

Game is so good I almost let my pizza rolls go cold.

Almost

Improve your pizza roll experience.

4B010BBF-E87F-4442-BA5A-1B01B1038D6A.jpeg

Pizza Roll Bundt Cake

• 2Barf
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Looking on reddit and finding a lot of other people having issues with the controls as well. Here's hoping it winds up being unintended and improved with a patch or something.

Apparently Kotaku had some pretty negative things to say about the user experience with the game overall. I normally give them zero consideration, but it seems credible:

From Kotaku's RDR2 Review: "Red Dead 2 continues Rockstar’s longstanding rejection of the notions that input response should be snappy, that control schemes should be empowering and intuitive, and that animation systems should favor player input over believable on-screen action... The process of interacting with [RDR2] can be frustrating and inconsistent... sludgy kinesthetics, jumbled control schemes, and unclear user interface... goes against many commonly understood game design principles... No in-game activity approaches the tactilely pleasing acts of firing a space-rifle in Destiny, axing a demon in God of War, or jumping on goombas in Super Mario Bros.
Pressing a button in Red Dead 2 rarely results in an immediate or satisfying response. Navigating Arthur through the world is less like controlling a video game character and more like giving directions to an actor...
Arthur’s horse adds yet another degree of remove... you’re still controlling the man, not the horse. Mind your direction, for it is perilously easy to broadside a passing civilian and instigate a firefight, or to collide with a rock or tree, sending man and horse careening catawampus to the ground. Red Dead 2’s horses are meticulously detailed and gorgeously animated, and move through the world like real animals, right up until they don’t. Get too close to a boulder or crosswise to a wagon, and the realistic facade crumbles, leaving you with a grouchy, unresponsive horse with its head clipping through a tree.
Almost every interaction must be performed through the same gauzy, lustrous cling-wrap. Firefights are chaotic and random, and aiming often feels wild and unmanageable. Rifles require separate trigger-pulls to fire and to chamber a new round. Enemies move quickly and melt into the world’s overwhelming visual milieux, and my resulting reliance on the heavily magnetized aim-assistance turned most fights into pop-and-fire shooting galleries. Arthur moves slowly, particularly while in settlements or indoors. It’s also possible to make him run too fast, crashing through doors and into civilians. Navigating this world is arduous, heavy, and inelegant. Even the simple act of picking an object up off the floor can require two or three moments of repositioning and waiting for an interaction prompt."
That review literally sounds like something from a guy who played 12 minutes of Dark Souls complaining about the precision of the controls. It's not clunky, it's just unique, and takes in part a bit of realism in nature that seems foreign to most video game controls. I'm one who is quick to judge a game on its controls, and while they are initially a bit obnoxious, they're easily overlooked and easy to get used to just playing the game. It's not like the difference between being used to Goldeneye on the N64 and paying Perfect Dark on the 360. It's not as slack as it was in the first RDR, or maybe it is, and I'm just used to the loose precision of modern games, but either way, it's not a problem. I've been mouse and keyboarding for years, and yeah, it doesn't play like fucking Destiny on the controller, and it shouldn't. It's also pseudo rpg in that controlling your character improves as you play organically. Weapon control, running, etc, improve just playing the game. Better weapons augment that. Your character isn't just awesome at shooting by default, and that's offputting to some. Meh. Play the story and don't be a dick weed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That review literally sounds like something from a guy who played 12 minutes of Dark Souls complaining about the precision of the controls. It's not clunky, it's just unique, and takes in part a bit of realism in nature that seems foreign to most video game controls. I'm one who is quick to judge a game on its controls, and while they are initially a bit obnoxious, they're easily overlooked and easy to get used to just playing the game. It's not like the difference between being used to Goldeneye on the N64 and paying Perfect Dark on the 360. It's not as slack as it was in the first RDR, or maybe it is, and I'm just used to the loose precision of modern games, but either way, it's not a problem. I've been mouse and keyboarding for years, and yeah, it doesn't play like fucking Destiny on the controller, and it shouldn't. It's also pseudo rpg in that controlling your character improves as you play organically. Weapon control, running, etc, improve just playing the game. Better weapons augment that. Your character isn't just awesome at shooting by default, and that's offputting to some. Meh. Play the story and don't be a dick weed.

lol, realism. Didn't know high noon gunfights went down with DS4 controllers. Wild Bill's batteries must have been low.

Get the fuck out of here fanboy.

• 1Salty
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Played for about 4-5 hours tonight, game is really impressive. The world is beautiful, the characters interesting, mission pretty diverse so far.

The game is overwhelming though, so many things to do and keep track off. I’m a bit lost as to what to do first.

I mostly have to agree with Kotaku though, maybe not to the same extent but the controls are pretty bad, the game is still amazing but controls are not.

Looking forward to playing more.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I'm about 3 hours in and I agree the controls are ass. I am also relying on autoaim for every gunfight. The game is beautiful I just think things could be a bit more responsive, giving directions to an actor is an apt comparison.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm about 3 hours in and I agree the controls are ass. I am also relying on autoaim for every gunfight. The game is beautiful I just think things could be a bit more responsive, giving directions to an actor is an apt comparison.

Be careful, Acidfly might drive to your domicile and shoot you in the face for critiquing his precious.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Has anyone gotten the Android app to work? It won't even show up in my Google Play view. It seems like it's not compatible with tons of devices. I wish they provided an APK so I could at least try it directly.

Edit: Nm, going to the play store website on the PC and and was able to find it there and make it install. Weird.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Has anyone given free aim a try? I'm thinking it might help avoid some of the sluggishness with aim assist that the other modes are seeing.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Has anyone given free aim a try? I'm thinking it might help avoid some of the sluggishness with aim assist that the other modes are seeing.
I just tap the aim button to get a good lock after moving the reticle in the relative area of a target before shooting. That said, it's pretty hard to discern a target in the middle of all the particle snow effects and other shit, if I'm honest. Also annoying when a shot is completely busted when it clips and blows up a fucking tiny ass tree limb. Rockstar physics.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I changed to standard FPS. Third person and knocked down dead zone to zero. Only issue I was having was muscle memory on the controller for crouch being A. I accidentally shot a hooker too. But that was hilarious. But now after an 8 hour marathon (Lenny and the saloon lol) and ending up playing poker for three hours (oops) controls are way more natural now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Lenny and the saloon alone makes this an A+ game. God, I hope that level of hilarity holds throughout. Guarantee you see that shit meme'd in the coming weeks. LENNY!

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i read to 100% the game (plat/etc) it'd take around 200 hours, crazy

and yeah someone else posted it earlier in the thread but as ut/that other person said, set dead zone to zero and changed controls to standard FPS and it works ok. I still hate running and reading stuff just seems to take too many buttons, i wish they would have copied the ubi control systems instead

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I tried those settings but having to press L3 repeatedly to max sprint is a huge NOPE. Gamepads need at least a little deadzone too imo.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Just spent 2 hours walking around the first city, getting a rub a dub in a tub, and slept a night...should probably take a hint and do the same.

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Okay shit pisses me off in this game. Press the wrong button and you totally fuck a quest you were trying to do. Fuck I hate stupid shit like that.

Case in point. One of the first missions from the camp outside the tutorial area I went to help the guy with his horses running off. Drew the gun by accident and the dude just bolts and you don't get to fix that. Fucking dumb. I really hope the entire game is not like that.

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I tried those settings but having to press L3 repeatedly to max sprint is a huge NOPE. Gamepads need at least a little deadzone too imo.

Go to accessibility and change it to one click to run/sprint.