Red Dead Redemption 2

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Okay, that makes me feel less retarded.

I’ve killed a few people by accident. I suck at the gun fights but am getting better. Every fucking NPC is a sharp shooter and I keep losing hats as a result.

The controls haven’t been enough to detract from my current 10/10, yet, BUT Red Dead Redemption is my number 1 favourite game so I am biased. I have struggled a bit, especially with opening the map as the last several games I have played all have the map tied to the touch pad. And remembering the difference between the item wheel and the satchel.

I read, and am trying it now, that forcing 1080p in the ps4 settings sharpens the graphics up a tad. I didn’t have a problem with them before however I just got a 4K tv so I don’t even know where the flaws are because I am lost in the improvements. (Do look forward to checking out HZD, AC: Odyssey, and God of War [which I couldn’t get into, but that is another story] when I am done here).

I liken the control issues in this to the horrible experience of tying on a Ioad, irksome and getting more so but not enough to dissuade me from doing it anyways.

Still enjoying the game immensely and the flaws are not enough to detract from the overall good experience I am having...

Not yet, that is.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I saw that 1080p tip late last night but haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it does look better though, R*'s homemade alternative is clearly inferior to normal checkerboarding used by the vast majority of "4K" games.

Their HDR implementation is weird too. Every other game (as well as Netflix/Prime Video) I play with my TV set to 'HDR dark' but for RDR2 I have to turn it all the way up to bright to get it to look right. Doesn't seem like you should deviate from the recommended settings for in-game calibration, as turning that up just makes actual dark areas all lit up.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I wasn't really enjoying the visuals much as everything was looking really grainy and washed out, until I thought it might be due to my TV have pretty poor HDR. So, I turned it off and things look much brighter and clear now. It's worth trying it if you find a similar problem with it

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Rofl oh jesus I accidentally punched my horse. That was pretty damn funny.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
For some reason I got a bigger bounty on my head for looting a dead body I found in the street than I didn’t for killing a guy by acccident

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Just finished out the snow/tutorial area. The game is absolutely gorgeous, and this is on a loser, base PS4 and non-4k TV (Pro and OLED coming very soon). Can't believe how good it looks. The snow, and detail all-around is just incredible.

Controls are definitely goofy. Hopefully that just takes some time getting used to. The game plays slow with it's looting of bodies etc, but nothing major so far.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
3D2940F0-6758-4580-ACAE-40C9E623E901.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It works very well as a living world.

Went out on a bounty hunt and ended up riding back into town late night with the bounty tied to the saddle. Carried him into the Sheriffs office where he was embarrassed by being caught talking to a woman who I assume was someone's wife. Rode out of town with the lanterns lighting the way and arrived back to camp where I sat down at a fire with two of the camp people talking about sardines being the true monsters of the sea and my character joined in on the conversation. The blackness lit up by the campfire, and the night sky that was starry in that country-like way really added to it.

It's quite the experience

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Has anyone found a better solution than The Claw (tm) to ride your horse and shoot at the same time? Other than Dead Eye all the time

the claw.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Has anyone found a better solution than The Claw (tm) to ride your horse and shoot at the same time? Other than Dead Eye all the time

View attachment 180782
Personally I just use deadeye all the time. Horseback fights are rare enough that it's always available, and if for some reason I can't use deadeye, I get the hell off the horse immediately so it doesn't get shot.
There's no fucking way I'm taking a chance on some jackass killing my horse and making me load a hard save from a half hour ago.

Or you can set autoaim to wide just for horseback. Or just don't worry about holding down A 100% of the time. Horses take forever to slow down if you aren't pressing RB. You're going to get it killed doing that though.

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The random stuff that happens is so much fun. Someone tried to rob me.

• 3Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Ok, I changed the camera settings and I feel like it made the controls 10x better for me. I don't remember the name of the setting, but it's the one that controls the "follow" strength of the camera. Turn it to minimal or off and you won't feel like you're fighting the controls as much.

Also, turn off the one that auto-levels the camera.

• 2Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I’ve spent fuckloads on pc upgrades over the years, and the best looking game I’ve ever seen or played is on PlayStation rofl. Hit the southern marshy areas, holy fuck it looks great. Game REALLY gets better after the first few areas. Few annoyances though... tap sprint for the horse sucks cock, auto run/follow on horses isn’t good either. The games, dominos, blackjack and poker could use better zoom in functionality, and like others have mentioned you can get bounties on you for some gay ass shit. Unlocking fast travel asap is clutch.

Controls could be better, but it’s so much like gta5 I hardly notice anymore.

All that said, if you like rockstar games you’ll love this. It’s rockstars magnum opus imo and for me, one of the best games ive ever played. Really stoked to see what online will look like

• 2Solidarity