Red Dead Redemption 2

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The control issues have lessened a bit now that I have more time in the game. Still definitely not as good as a game like this deserves, but it's tolerable. I've also learned to tune out the weird CB/TXAA artifacts that the pro has. It's a 10/10 game with 6.5/10 controls/UX

The biggest thing I can say about this game is that it passes the "I want to pick it back up after putting it down" test that only good games can manage to do.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
After playing some more today, I’m getting used to the controls.

The game world building is amazing, the cast of character is really great. There’s so many things to do, I’m still being introduced to new stuff.

The travel time is getting to be an issue to be honest, it seems I spend most of my time travelling from point A to point B. The world might be gorgeous and some stuff happens from time to time while travelling, but after 15 hours or so it’s getting a bit frustrating already.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
After playing some more today, I’m getting used to the controls.

The game world building is amazing, the cast of character is really great. There’s so many things to do, I’m still being introduced to new stuff.

The travel time is getting to be an issue to be honest, it seems I spend most of my time travelling from point A to point B. The world might be gorgeous and some stuff happens from time to time while travelling, but after 15 hours or so it’s getting a bit frustrating already.

This is how i felt with RDR1.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Controls are just like GTA5. You suck at driving initially, but if you do it a lot, which is going to happen organically, your stat skill improves and it becomes a lot easier, on top of getting used to the controls. At max driving skill and 20 hours you can weave a car at max speed through traffic. I imagine something similar will happen in this game with all of the stats that tick up fairly consistently. Stamina, horse control, aim, etc etc etc. But until that point riding a horse, shooting, everything feels fucking awful because Arthur is apparently a complete noob who has never ridden a horse or fired a gun. /s Bet you anything after 25-30 hours when everything starts to feel natural, skill stats are at or near cap, it will feel and play phenomenally, and the game will kick into high gear.

Didn't get to play at all today because I was up until 4am doing laundry and doing a quest or two, slept til 2pm, then had football/world series to watch and a lot of beer to consume.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If you loot that guy, you lose karma.....This game is a near-masterpiece, but some of the mechanics are a little over the top.

What's worse is there are several situations where you lose karma for looting people trying to actually kill you.

I also had to eat a $25 loss and spend time in jail because some asshole walked into the path of my horse while I was riding through town slowly, but it still counted as me murdering him.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
This game is pretty unforgiving, but I think with time it will add to the experience. Now don't get me wrong, some of the shit is dumb, but this game is pretty immersive.

Over the 10 hour mark now, the game is really starting to pick up steam now that the learning curve is not as steep. Visually, it's the best I've ever seen. Some of the stuff is near mind blowing. The last time I was this in shock by graphics was when Splinter Cell Chaos Theory released on the original Xbox and it was easily 360 quality graphics.

The game is a feat so far.

Accidentally lassoed a guy but my horse stepped on his head. Luckily he had a treasure map to recoup his debts...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
What's worse is there are several situations where you lose karma for looting people trying to actually kill you.

I also had to eat a $25 loss and spend time in jail because some asshole walked into the path of my horse while I was riding through town slowly, but it still counted as me murdering him.
Serves you fucking right for riding a horse through town, lol

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Serves you fucking right for riding a horse through town, lol

It wasn't even fast, I was at a light canter at best, riding beside a wagon, and the fucker stepped down off a walkway right in front of me. There was no time to pull on the reins. Dude then got knocked down and run over by my horse and the wagon wheels

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I agree about the graphics. Just now I did a side mission where as the sun was coming up I crested a hill that looked over a small mining town and the visuals were so amazing I just whispered to myself "Wtf?"

I'm blown away this was possible on a PS4.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The graphics, story, character build up, sound, are all amazing.

Controls are bad. Anyone used to modern games, or playing with MB+keyboard notices this.

Aim controls are especially bad, and after giving it some thought I decided there is no good way to implement controls given the way shooting works. Since you kill enemies with 1 headshot, making it as easy to control with a controller as it would be with MB+keyboard trivializes the game, unless NPC hitpoints are raised, at which point the game loses its realism.

The control scheme is overly complicated. They should just have had 1 button to pause the game, from where you select items / weapons / .. putting these commands across several keys adds needless complexity and increases the chance of users fumbling, which never feels well.

Still a solid 8.5/10, which makes it the best game I've played in a long time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So is there a system where you can like, enter poker tournaments and stuff? I absolutely love dumb shit like that. Rise up to be gambling legend of the West and so on. I am floored that they didn't add in anything to let you cheat cards like, extra aces or slight of hand and whatever. What's more Western than that?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
So is there a system where you can like, enter poker tournaments and stuff? I absolutely love dumb shit like that. Rise up to be gambling legend of the West and so on. I am floored that they didn't add in anything to let you cheat cards like, extra aces or slight of hand and whatever. What's more Western than that?
I was just going to ask the same thing.

Where do I go to play poker for as long as I want?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So during the streams I watched I learned that you can stream RDR1 on PS Now or whatever.
So that basically means there's a PC Version of RDR1, because they surely won't stream it from a bunch of old PS3s lined up in a server rack, right?

Anyone figure out yet how to change radio stations when riding a carriage?

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I resisted the urge to become a console pleb during the Monster World and God of War releases, I wonder if I can go 3 for 3

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I resisted the urge to become a console pleb during the Monster World and God of War releases, I wonder if I can go 3 for 3

I’m right there with you, never had a PS4 but these recent Spider-Man and Red Dead releases have me tempted.