Red Dead Redemption 2

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Throw me in the love/hate boat with this one. Sometimes i look at how far I need to go on the map to do what I want to do and just quit for the night instead. I have fast travel unlocked but there really really just needs to be a return to camp option from out in the world.

I went to get the Arabian last night and hunted the buffalo while I was there. It took like 10 minutes to get the skin to the nearest trapper, then 10 more back to the nearest town to travel anywhere. The cinematic camera auto travel is shit because the horse goes at the slowest speed by default, so you have to mash x the whole time anyway. And if something dumb happens on the road 3/4 of the way to the destination and I would have had to reload to my manual save before starting on the trip and do it all over again, i might would fling the disc across the room.

Still a fantastic game. I just cant believe how some of these retarded mechanics made it through playtesting.

It is so weird, the best game that I don't enjoy playing half the time.
Doesn't help if you're way up in the Grizzlies, but don't forget stagecoaches/trains can get you around fast and your horse will follow with.

Edit: And any time you take a stagecoach to Emerald Ranch, be sure to immediately steal, rob, and fence it to make up for travel costs.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
At least for the legendaries you get a pop-up when in the area and the trapper talks about locations.

You've also got two maps in your inventory that show roughly where each legendary animal and fish are, assuming you've talked to the people who take them off your hands at least once.

Stuff like cougars, panthers, etc. though...good fucking luck without having the guide. Rare birds are even worse; at least the cats will come running from half a mile away to kill your ass (if you're not mashing circle as one attacks it's a one-shot no matter how much hp bar you have) and then you know where they live, but birds you'll never find other than blind luck.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Throw me in the love/hate boat with this one. Sometimes i look at how far I need to go on the map to do what I want to do and just quit for the night instead. I have fast travel unlocked but there really really just needs to be a return to camp option from out in the world.

I went to get the Arabian last night and hunted the buffalo while I was there. It took like 10 minutes to get the skin to the nearest trapper, then 10 more back to the nearest town to travel anywhere. The cinematic camera auto travel is shit because the horse goes at the slowest speed by default, so you have to mash x the whole time anyway. And if something dumb happens on the road 3/4 of the way to the destination and I would have had to reload to my manual save before starting on the trip and do it all over again, i might would fling the disc across the room.

Still a fantastic game. I just cant believe how some of these retarded mechanics made it through playtesting.

It is so weird, the best game that I don't enjoy playing half the time.

If your horse is galloping when you enter cinematic mode, it will stay at that pace. Not full throttle, but better than the slow cantor.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I thought I was at the location of a homestead robbery so I saved and suited up with my bandit outfit. Turns out it’s a hermit and he really doesn’t like visitors. I let myself in and he one shotted me! I reloaded and shot him dead this time... no honor hit. I straight up murdered someone with no motive other than murder and robbery, but it’s all good... Throwing a stick of dynamite at a flock of ducks dropped me like 10% honor lol

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Terial

Trakanon Raider
If you are just starting out, you may want to read this, there are no spoilers in here, but it's a bug that makes 3 characters vanish in pretty much the first Valentine quest until chapter 4. This is how to avoid the bug.
‘Red Dead Redemption 2’ Has A Big Bug That Could Ruin The Story. Here’s How To Avoid It

Posted here as well if you are too lazy to click, again there are no spoilers here.

There’s a seemingly unlimited amount of missions to be getting on with as you gallop through Red Dead Redemption 2, but you could well be missing out on some of the most important quests.

According to Forbes, a glitch within the first mission at the start of Chapter 2 (titled ‘Polite Society, Valentine Style’) could cause John Marston, Abigail and Sadie to disappear from the camp until Chapter Four, meaning you miss out on their plot lines.

During the task you take Uncle, Tilly and Karen into town where they fall into trouble, resulting in a rescue mission. The bug appears if you die or fail the task and choose “Retry Checkpoint” instead of restarting the mission from the beginning.

Red Dead Redemption 2’s individual storylines are worth indulging, especially as John Marston’s relationship with Abigail is what inspires the basis of Red Dead Redemption, the game’s predecessor.

Considering how easy it is to trigger the bug, it’s more than likely that a large selection of players have missed out on the side quests. Reddit users have failed to find a way to solve it, and developers Rockstar made no reference to an upcoming patch in their reply to Reddit’s r/xbone, which said:

“Thank you for contacting Rockstar Support,

We understand your concern regarding the missing storyline characters in Red Dead Redemption 2 Story Mode. Please be informed that, if the missions "Polite Society" and "Valentine Style" are failed, restart the mission instead of using the "Retry Checkpoint" option. If you have already completed the mission after using the "Retry Checkpoint" option, they will not be present until the start of Chapter 4. We hope you understand.”

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Huh. I had been wondering where they were; I figured they were just out dicking about in the world. Well, I'm going to be going out of town for a week and a half tomorrow; sucks to be missing out on RDR2 time, but hopefully they'll have this patched by the time I get back.

Vorph

I thought I was at the location of a homestead robbery so I saved and suited up with my bandit outfit. Turns out it’s a hermit and he really doesn’t like visitors. I let myself in and he one shotted me! I reloaded and shot him dead this time... no honor hit. I straight up murdered someone with no motive other than murder and robbery, but it’s all good... Throwing a stick of dynamite at a flock of ducks dropped me like 10% honor lol
That's the guy with the "rare shotgun" (unique double barrel). You missed out on the gun if you didn't pick it up while you were there, but it's no real loss since the semi-auto shotgun is easily the best.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
D720Lxm_d.jpg

Vorph

That's kind of small. If you want a map like that I'd just use RDR2 Map. There's some spoilers on there though, so it's best to immediately do a Hide All and only turn on what you're actually looking for.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I had issues one day last week because of PSN maintenance. We’ve got two PlayStations and the other one is set as my “Active” console (don’t need active internet to verify license).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm having a real hard time playing this game for more than an hour or two at a time. The travel time between doing shit just kills me. The interesting bits here and there just haven't been that interesting.

I'll do the rest of the legendary animals now. The story missions are generally pretty good. So much is just hit or miss to me.

Why aren't there poker tournaments and card cheat tricks!? No gun under the table? Nothing like that?

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I don't know. There's so much time to ride around during the questing, hunting, treasuring, other side activities that I'd kill for a real fast travel system just to cut out tedium here and there.

• 1Solidarity

Terial

Trakanon Raider
more things i don't understand and yea, i'm still just taking it really slow to figure out the system.

1) Horse Satchel is ALWAYS empty, when i go to my horse i see that i have an inventory slot that is specific to the horse, only available from about 4 feet away from the horse.... how do i put things in here?!

TOPIC: Animal hunting / skinning
last night in chapter 2 i decided to hunt a bit.... seems like there are a few options when you kill a deer (for example) and i need help understanding this...
when you kill a deer you can
A) skin it and put the deer and skin on your horse
B) skin it and leave it and put the skin on your horse
C) don't skin it and throw the whole thing on your horse

I decided to Skin it and put the deer and skin on the horse.
I then went back to camp with it and i assumed the deer would be taken by the butcher (like in capter 1 tutorial) but when i threw the deer on my shoulder, walked over to him all my choices were to either upgrade stuff in camp or sell things.

Thats when i noticed that i had deer meat in my inventory as well, i guess i got this when i killed the deer?
I also noticed the deer icon in my inventory, i assume this was the deer carcas i was lugging around?

Can someone explain the process of killing / skinning / not skinning / giving to camp etc?

Again, apprecaite all the advice as this game seems to have a good amount of confusion (at least for me)

• 1Solidarity

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
When you go back to camp you can simply leave the deer carcass on the horse, it will show up in the donate to camp part of Pearson's menu. If you just throw the whole carcass on without skinning (don't do this), all you get is a carcass to sell to camp, which is worth exactly the same as a skinned carcass.

If you skin the carcass, you get a pelt (pending whatever quality of animal you killed, and if you used the correct weapon to do so), some meat, and potentially another couple of items depending on the animal. Male deer/moose will have antlers, ox/bulls have horns, all large predators have some sort of claw/tooth, birds have feathers (both flight feathers for arrows, and *nameofbird* feather for crafting). Also beavers/muskrats will have scent glands, a few fattier animals (cows/bears/turkey/boar/others) will have animal fat for crafting as well.

Eventually you will have so much animal meat in your inventory, you can just donate that to camp for provisions, the only reason to bring back whole carcasses will be for the cosmetic camp upgrades (usually skulls). Legendary carcasses are different, for those legendary animals whose carcass will fit on your horse, take that too and sell it to the trapper, they are usually worth a fair amount.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Terial

Trakanon Raider
That is very helpful, thank you!
As for the materials tha tyou sell, i assume there are some you want to keep for crafting? For example i had Jaguar teeth, and i sold them (on accident). I feel that the only thing you should sell to the camp would be the pelts / carcas and thus saving the materials for camp crafting and crafting in general?

• 1Solidarity