Red Dead Redemption 2

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I bought my friends Xbox One S to play the game. And, it might be the only game I ever own for the system. I am not a console gamer.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I've wondered about this too. Horses have a similar issue where it looks like you can't actually fill the final grayed out bar, but if you encounter the person who wants a horse race twice you get a bonus that maxes it out. Not sure if there's something for guns that I just haven't come across yet.
So supposedly it represents possible increases through weapon affinity, which increases through use over time. No idea how long it takes or in what increments.

Weapons are weird in general though. Like why does the Carbine Repeater have better stats than the Lancaster Repeater? What's the point of the Lancaster? Don't have the Rare Rolling Block yet but read that has slightly less range and RoF than the regular Rolling Block. If that's true, what the fuck?

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Like why does the Carbine Repeater have better stats than the Lancaster Repeater? What's the point of the Lancaster? Don't have the Rare Rolling Block yet but read that has slightly less range and RoF than the regular Rolling Block. If that's true, what the fuck?
I think it comes down to handling? The Lancaster has a faster rate of fire compared Carbine Repeater and, to me, I feel like I can handle it better. Note: I don't have the Rolling Block yet so I don't know how it compares.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
As a exclusive PC gamer, I really hope they release this on PC. I still have zero interest of owning a console...

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So supposedly it represents possible increases through weapon affinity, which increases through use over time. No idea how long it takes or in what increments.

Weapons are weird in general though. Like why does the Carbine Repeater have better stats than the Lancaster Repeater? What's the point of the Lancaster? Don't have the Rare Rolling Block yet but read that has slightly less range and RoF than the regular Rolling Block. If that's true, what the fuck?
Ah, haven't noticed that yet and I don't remember reading about it in the guide but I'll doublecheck that.

Yeah, I found it pretty disappointing once I realized all the unique weapons are useless, as well as some of the regular guns you get later in the game (in addition to the repeater, the double action revolver is worse than the schofield, and iirc the second scoped rifle is at best a sidegrade from the first). You get the fancy engraving on uniques for free, but they have no rifling/long barrel/better sights which makes them strictly inferior to the plain versions. If you actually care about engraving you can just pay for it, it's not like money is hard to come by if you aren't constantly racking up max bounties.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Man someone already stated this but the down time in this game is just killing me. You get bursts of action for a few minutes followed by 20 minutes of a horse walking simulator. I usually love open world games and I love being able to just set off on my own and defeat areas as I get from point A to point B on a main quest. Yes this world is alive and dense with life but it's not really full of things to actually fight your way through. Of course I could go all Jeffrey Dahmer and just shoot every person I come across, but really, they are just random_NPCs with no real reward associated to them. And now add to the fact that weapons don't really improve with newer versions. This game is far more sim than game, and that's ok. It's just not for me. However, I really feel like I need to experience the story as it's very well written and acted. And legit the world itself is the best realized worlds I have ever seen in a game. I hate it because this is right up there with World of Warcraft, Witcher, and Bloodborne that are truly generational defining games that are major events on release, but I've tried for a week and I just cannot get into it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Namon Namon , Describing the game as a sim is actually pretty spot on.

The story is worth it though, and you can easily ignore all the hunting, crafting, and other side stuff as they are not needed at all to complete the story.

The game 6 Chapters are all good, the 2 Epilogues not so much...almost during the first one as I found it boring as hell, second was a little better but still boring for the most part.

I have tons of stuff to do still but haven't played it since I completed the main story and have no intention of touching again until the Multiplayer part comes in.

I've said before it's a flawed masterpiece. Amazing story, characters and world. The general gameplay though isn't that fun. For example I have 140 hours in AC:Odyssey compared to maybe 70 or so in RDR2...and I still log in to do the weekly stuff in AC:Odyssey, not because it's a better game...but because I think the actual gameplay is more enjoyable.

It's disappointing really because the world is so amazing, I really would like to be able to spend more hours in it, it just not that fun. I'm hoping the multiplayer adds some interesting stuff to do, and just playing with someone else add the experience.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Picked this up finally. Only an hour in but Rockstar on point as always with truly amazing voice acting. I feel like Steven ogg was getting roles in stuff like Bcs, Twd, westworld etc because of how good he was in gta5.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Namon Namon , Describing the game as a sim is actually pretty spot on.

The story is worth it though, and you can easily ignore all the hunting, crafting, and other side stuff as they are not needed at all to complete the story.

The game 6 Chapters are all good, the 2 Epilogues not so much...almost during the first one as I found it boring as hell, second was a little better but still boring for the most part.

I have tons of stuff to do still but haven't played it since I completed the main story and have no intention of touching again until the Multiplayer part comes in.

I've said before it's a flawed masterpiece. Amazing story, characters and world. The general gameplay though isn't that fun. For example I have 140 hours in AC:Odyssey compared to maybe 70 or so in RDR2...and I still log in to do the weekly stuff in AC:Odyssey, not because it's a better game...but because I think the actual gameplay is more enjoyable.

It's disappointing really because the world is so amazing, I really would like to be able to spend more hours in it, it just not that fun. I'm hoping the multiplayer adds some interesting stuff to do, and just playing with someone else add the experience.

And this is what sucks. I totally wish I had bought that instead. I guess I'm more of a theme park guy versus a Sim guy. I just like to be "part" of major gaming events and this seemed to be like one.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Interestingly I feel like I have enjoyed AC Odyssey more and have definitely put in more time with it. If RDR2 had the fluidity and control of AC:O that would have been amazing.

My dislikes of the game so far:

Controls, just weird and stilted (yes just like GTA).
I hate the tracking and hunting. It’s way too difficult and then throw in the quality shit and it’s just a nuisance.
Challenges should have been checklist and not sequential. Dumb.
Crafting is a chore, fuck, everything is a chore.
I really like when you start a mission and it warps you to the start versus having to run all the way there. Why not give that option at the end of each mission? Ride back together or you want to hang here? Too much horsing.
Fuck the fact that my horse can permadie.
Bounties are out of control. I did the first Micah mission and got a $300 bounty as a reward? Uh thanks? This also led to my first horse death. Fuckers.

I like the game, I don’t love the game. I’m not even really sure I enjoy the game.

I really enjoyed AC:O despite being fairly formulaic and repetitive. It was just a fun game. RDR2 could have been so much more fun with some slight changes in the design.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Interestingly I feel like I have enjoyed AC Odyssey more and have definitely put in more time with it. If RDR2 had the fluidity and control of AC:O that would have been amazing.

My dislikes of the game so far:

Controls, just weird and stilted (yes just like GTA).
I hate the tracking and hunting. It’s way too difficult and then throw in the quality shit and it’s just a nuisance.
Challenges should have been checklist and not sequential. Dumb.
Crafting is a chore, fuck, everything is a chore.
I really like when you start a mission and it warps you to the start versus having to run all the way there. Why not give that option at the end of each mission? Ride back together or you want to hang here? Too much horsing.
Fuck the fact that my horse can permadie.
Bounties are out of control. I did the first Micah mission and got a $300 as a reward? Uh thanks? This also led to my first horse death. Fuckers.

I like the game, I don’t love the game. I’m not even really sure I enjoy the game.

I really enjoyed AC:O despite being fairly formulaic and repetitive. It was just a fun game. RDR2 could have been so much more fun with some slight changes in the design.

It's the adherence to realism.

There is a razor fine line to walk when a game is being designed in such a way. Most of the things are a chore because they are really trying to immerse you in the experience of being an outlaw in 1899. I had the same feeling with Breath of the Wild. They tried to make it so realistic (setting aside) that it just ended up getting in its own way. What's crazy is, I can deal with this game's realism if they just had more shit to actually shoot it out with. I was going to say do, but that's just not accurate with all the side stuff you can do like hunting and gambling. I wish there were more camps full of rival gangs that you could go in and shoot up. I wish there were more places you could explore and rough up like that oil refinery. And while the bounty system is actually completely realistic, it totally sucks away what fun you can have, because within minutes you have such a high bounty wracked up, you can't even do any business in that town.

My problem is, I'm one of those assholes who says if I wanted a good story, I'd just read a book or watch a movie. So, if the game play is not there, I don't really care how good a story is, I'm not going to suffer through boring game play to see it. I'm super bummed as I really really want to like this game, I do. And I also see the heart poured into it and it's a quality product. It's just not to my tastes at all.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Missions are great.

Everything outside the missions feels like you're playing a single player version of what RDR Online will be like. Everything is tedious as hell and the bounty/honor systems are extremely oppressive to the point where I almost believe the conspiracy theories about bounties being the way they are so that people who rack up large ones playing online will be inclined to buy more game cash with real money. That doesn't explain why the crafting sucks so much though. Having to make one thing at a time without any way to set up a batch is unbelievably retarded. When I want to make split point bullets I load the game up in Remote Play so I can run a AHK macro to do it.

I finished pretty much all the hunting and crafting that I care about in Ch.2, so I will likely just plow through the rest of the missions doing as little as possible outside of them for the rest of my time with the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Yeah this is a beautiful game and the voice acting is spot-on, but this is also the first open-world game I find tedious for all the reasons mentioned before. I started playing this game like all open world games, which means you do a few main quests until the world opens up to you, and then you get lost doing so many sub-quests that you actually forget about the main quest line for a while. Games like the Fallouts, Far Crys, Skyrims, Witchers, etc.....I have always played in this fashion.

This will be the first time I'm just gonna power through the main story line and avoid the side stuff. There is just too much running around in this game. Kill a legendary animal, then get the pelt to a trapper takes 30 minutes easy.....and that's just for one animal. Whoever said this is a horse riding sim is right, I spend more time getting from point A to point B then anything else. Reminds me of another early quest where that dude and his boys are building a house and need more lumber so you have to go to the lumber yard, then do stuff there, then bring lumber back, and that stupid lumber wagon controls like it has only 3 wheels on it with it's shitty turn radius. All that time just to make a few bucks. All the gambling is SUPER tedious with the animations, even with pressing the skip button......especially poker. I don't need to see the NPCs reactions every.single.time.they.win.a.hand. Even worse, none of it is even fun for me, I don't see how you guys managed to power through it for those achievements. Walking around picking up loot, especially in buildings, feels like I'm walking through molasses.

Anyways, people saying how awesome the story and ending is, so I'll finish it for that then see if I have the stomach to go back and try the optional stuff. As it stands, I'm just getting out of Chapter 2 and I already stopped playing to spend time with the Dark Souls Trilogy, something that I've already finished all 3 games in.

It's a good game, but it could have been a great game with better pacing and better game mechanics.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Interestingly I feel like I have enjoyed AC Odyssey more and have definitely put in more time with it. If RDR2 had the fluidity and control of AC:O that would have been amazing...

...I really enjoyed AC:O despite being fairly formulaic and repetitive. It was just a fun game. RDR2 could have been so much more fun with some slight changes in the design.

So I need to finish RDR2 before I want to elaborate more, but I somewhat share this same feeling. Something along the lines of - Red Dead Redemption 2 is a "better" game, but Odyssey was just more fun to play, in a mindless sense.

I also have not hit the great parts of the story yet for RDR2. I could easily see that outweighing a game like AC:O, a game that is maybe easier & more fun to play, but very repetitive and no where near the "peaks".

• 1Like

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I really wish you could bring along a wagon and load it up with skins and stuff. Would make hunting a hell of a lot less tedious.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Sold my copy before finishing the game. There was something about it that made it really fatiguing to play, which meant my interest waned before I got within sight of the end. That on top of the broken HDR/other annoyances kicked me into "I'll just wait for a patched PC version" territory.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
this weeks south park had a bunch of great RDR 2 references, and goddamn you can tell they are playing the game because they got super cereal specific

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I actually find myself really liking the game's pace. Hard to nail down the particulars of why, but there's something nice about just being able to experience the world for a bit in between things happening. I actually tend to take things slower than I strictly need to (almost exclusively walking when I'm in town, for instance).