Red Dead Redemption 2

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Definitely a ton of controls to learn. That part is a little overwhelming. I almost got murdered by the legendary bear because I fumble fingered some shit. But it's good to have a lot of things to do and I'm sure they'll become ingrained soon enough. I'm surprised that the completion percentage is already up to 12% and I haven't really been playing all that long.
Story percentage and actual completion percentage are two different numbers. What chapter are you on?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So I mean...the game looks really good but the moment that blew me out of the water wasn’t the snow, it was riding though the mountain side forest to get to the train robbery.

Ho-ly-shit.
That whole piece is cinematic mastery at work. Whole heartedly agree, that was amazing. And that's just the beginning? Whaaat.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So how awesome is this game? Shit is actually making me want to go out on buy a PS4 or some shit.
Do you own a 4K TV? If you don't, I would say fucking buy one, and then buy the game (and console, preferably an Xbox). But I'm bias from first hand experience. 4K HDR with surround sound is making me wish I could PC from my living room without moving my tower downstairs.... The graphics, sound, interface, control (minus being able to keyboard/mouse) have made me seriously question my $2400 PC investment (i7 8086K, 2x1080Ti with 4K monitor).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
PC games right now are shit, IMO. MMOs are just dead, meanwhile, on my PS4 I've got HZD, Spiderman, RDR2, GoW, and AC Odyssey. Odyssey is available on PC, but why not go with the rest first.

I travel nearly every week out of town for work, and seriously gonna consider picking up a Ps4 this Black Friday to take with me traveling, instead of my gaming Laptop. Only thing I'd miss was talking with my friends on Discord, but I guess I can use my phone for that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I just found poker. Time to pour a woodford and sit back for like 7 hours

• 6Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Diemess

Silver Knight of the Realm
This game is a-m-a-z-i-n-g, the detail in this game is fucking beautiful. Gotta give it to Rockstar, they really did it with this one.

I got both of my young kids just sitting next to me watching the whole time.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This game is a-m-a-z-i-n-g, the detail in this game is fucking beautiful. Gotta give it to Rockstar, they really did it with this one.

Make good choices, or don't.

• 2Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Just went drinking with Lenny. That part alone made it worth the purchase.

My wife was upstairs playing WoW and told me stop laughing so hard. (Good naturedly)

Only complaint I have about this game is I am hailing trouble getting into a “flow” but mostly because I misunderstood a game mechanic and thought I HAD to bring back food to the camp or they would starve.

I was extremely tired when I got to that point in the game because I spent so much god damned time playing in the snow, adjusting the picture settings on my tv (I get eye strain if the darks are too dark even if the picture ends up having to look a little washed out as a result), and generally dicking around.

I spend so much time just doing nothing in this game.

10/10

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>

There is nudity and sexual content as well some very crass humour and language.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There is nudity and sexual content as well some very crass humour and language.

Yet they prohibit profanity for horse names. It's pretty silly.

Also:

nfb7sqfo9ku11.jpg

• 14Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 14 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Only an hour or so in and the aiming (with adjustments) and the checkerboarding/TAA artifacts (ps4 pro) are annoying, but the vibe so far is excellent. The soundtrack is already as good as people were saying it is. I'm still stuck in the snowed-in starter area so I'm not able to see the full monty when it comes to visuals.

I feel handicapped with the aiming as primarily a PC user. I could take out enemies 10 times easier with a mouse. I expected some issues with it, but I found the uncharted series to be much smoother than this (played through them just within the past couple weeks)

Looking forward to diving in deep over the weekend.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I played 5 minutes. Consoles are so terrible. Press G69 to talk to fred! Whatever the hell that is. Couldn't spend 5 cents for LEDs? I can't see a black inscription on black plastic in the dark.

No crosshair, up/down backwards, no surround through remote play.

I'll try again when there's some multiplayer but glad I didn't spend any money on this.

• 3Picard
  • 2Seriously?
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 5 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Why would they fuck with the controls after having tried and true controls for so long? That is off-putting, think I'll wait on this one.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Just went drinking with Lenny. That part alone made it worth the purchase.

My wife was upstairs playing WoW and told me stop laughing so hard. (Good naturedly)

Only complaint I have about this game is I am hailing trouble getting into a “flow” but mostly because I misunderstood a game mechanic and thought I HAD to bring back food to the camp or they would starve.

I was extremely tired when I got to that point in the game because I spent so much god damned time playing in the snow, adjusting the picture settings on my tv (I get eye strain if the darks are too dark even if the picture ends up having to look a little washed out as a result), and generally dicking around.

I spend so much time just doing nothing in this game.

10/10
LENNY!!!

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Why would they fuck with the controls after having tried and true controls for so long? That is off-putting, think I'll wait on this one.

I played 5 minutes. Consoles are so terrible. Press G69 to talk to fred! Whatever the hell that is. Couldn't spend 5 cents for LEDs? I can't see a black inscription on black plastic in the dark.

No crosshair, up/down backwards, no surround through remote play.

I'll try again when there's some multiplayer but glad I didn't spend any money on this.

Shut the fuck up you queen ass faggots.

• 8Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Looking on reddit and finding a lot of other people having issues with the controls as well. Here's hoping it winds up being unintended and improved with a patch or something.

Apparently Kotaku had some pretty negative things to say about the user experience with the game overall. I normally give them zero consideration, but it seems credible:

From Kotaku's RDR2 Review: "Red Dead 2 continues Rockstar’s longstanding rejection of the notions that input response should be snappy, that control schemes should be empowering and intuitive, and that animation systems should favor player input over believable on-screen action... The process of interacting with [RDR2] can be frustrating and inconsistent... sludgy kinesthetics, jumbled control schemes, and unclear user interface... goes against many commonly understood game design principles... No in-game activity approaches the tactilely pleasing acts of firing a space-rifle in Destiny, axing a demon in God of War, or jumping on goombas in Super Mario Bros.
Pressing a button in Red Dead 2 rarely results in an immediate or satisfying response. Navigating Arthur through the world is less like controlling a video game character and more like giving directions to an actor...
Arthur’s horse adds yet another degree of remove... you’re still controlling the man, not the horse. Mind your direction, for it is perilously easy to broadside a passing civilian and instigate a firefight, or to collide with a rock or tree, sending man and horse careening catawampus to the ground. Red Dead 2’s horses are meticulously detailed and gorgeously animated, and move through the world like real animals, right up until they don’t. Get too close to a boulder or crosswise to a wagon, and the realistic facade crumbles, leaving you with a grouchy, unresponsive horse with its head clipping through a tree.
Almost every interaction must be performed through the same gauzy, lustrous cling-wrap. Firefights are chaotic and random, and aiming often feels wild and unmanageable. Rifles require separate trigger-pulls to fire and to chamber a new round. Enemies move quickly and melt into the world’s overwhelming visual milieux, and my resulting reliance on the heavily magnetized aim-assistance turned most fights into pop-and-fire shooting galleries. Arthur moves slowly, particularly while in settlements or indoors. It’s also possible to make him run too fast, crashing through doors and into civilians. Navigating this world is arduous, heavy, and inelegant. Even the simple act of picking an object up off the floor can require two or three moments of repositioning and waiting for an interaction prompt."

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Game is so good I almost let my pizza rolls go cold.

Almost

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 6 users