Reddit is on fire

cypis

Lord Nagafen Raider
People posting pics of that chick is starting to get cringy as fuck. What's next? HERE'S VICTORIA TAKING A SHIT. JUST HOW REDDIT CEOS TOOK A HUGE SHIT ON HER UPBOAT PLS

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I didn't see how terrible Jesse Jackson's AMA was, but I figured it was a front (or reddit misdiagnosis) for something else but people were blaming that for the firing. I know other notable sinking ship AMA's include Martin O'Malley and Woody Harrelson's Rampart where they just blew up into a clusterfuck of questions. Also, wasn't there a notable fake Morgan Freeman AMA?
Yeah the Morgan Freeman one was shitty, you could tell it wasn't him answering questions

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Mods of /r/pics have been removed by the admins. The first domino falls...

Edit: Likely a troll. Unverified at this point.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
More power to these guys for doing this. I just find it funny that more people will band together over a reddit admin, than will worry about any of the fucked up shit going on in merica/world right now.

rrr_img_101962.jpg
Because the cost is literally millions of times lower.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ehhhh maybe retract that... unverified info at this point. A couple major reddit players were claiming the mods were ousted, but it doesn't sound true right now.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Looks like the major subs are starting to break, this will be over in a few hours

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was a big user of Digg right when it destroyed itself. It will be interesting to see of Reddit can avoid making the same mistakes or if it's just going to slowly bleed to death. Is this the third cluster fuck in the last month? Either way I'm entertained.
Yeah, I remember Digg dying. I feel like a lot of these sites think they're invincible. It's kind of fun when it finally crumbles around them and they realize how badly they fucked up and destroyed something good.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Mods of /r/pics have been removed by the admins. The first domino falls...

Edit: Likely a troll. Unverified at this point.
It seems to be an internal dispute. One of the mods of /rpics is an admins Alt account. He supposedly got the order from Pao to force the sub back open. (Supposedly--again, this could all be bullshit, many major subs are having these internal disputes due to conflicts like this.)

Pao and KnotKnox - Album on Imgur

I love how Pao is all subversive though and orders agents inside to do her dirty work--girl is a true shark, too bad she was so greedy, she'd have gone really far in venture capital if she had reigned in her appetite just a little.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I remember Digg dying. I feel like a lot of these sites think they're invincible. It's kind of fun when it finally crumbles around them and they realize how badly they fucked up and destroyed something good.
Yeah, once you're on top for long enough it seems it really goes to your head./Kn0thing'scomments are like watching that realization in real time, it's actually amazing. He goes from his popcorn comment and laughing at people to now profusely apologizing, and vowing to improve communication.

In any case, unless something changes, Reddit is close to done--not because of this, but because it has some major standing issues. The Toolbox sub forum illustrates it really well, most of the communication/mod tools are out of date, and a host of other issues, there is just very little care it seems to improve the site, and user concerns are mocked outright as if they were just whiners (Until now, obviously.)

Edit: No idea if this is true, but it explains a lot.

Sup qg... Several of our old mutual friends have been keeping me in the loop and from what they have been saying things are not looking good at reddit HQ. The higher ups (executives and board members) at reddit are totally out of touch with the community, kn0thing included sadly. Ellen Pao barely even knows how to use reddit, let alone truly understand what makes it tick and what it needs to survive and the vast majority of the new hires rarely (if ever) interact with the community like the admins of old. And to top it off most of the current admins aren't even webdevs, software engineers or community team members hired from within the community anymore... they are outside hires, mostly marketers and middle management. Does all this sound familiar? This sort of non-core site functions staff bloat and loss of touch with the community is literally the exact same thing that happened at digg before v4. Apparently this all started with Yishan's retarded plan to close the NYC office (which may be why Victoria was fired, since she was the last remaining admin in NYC) and force all the remote working admins (other than those outside the US) to relocate to SF or be fired, which caused an exodus of talent and generated a lot of resentment even by the staff that were willing/able to move. The mood in the SF office has supposedly gotten steadily worse since then too thanks to some of Pao's bizarre decisions regarding hiring (she refused to honor several of Yishan's hires despite the fact they had already quit their jobs to join reddit), restructuring (can't say much other than she seriously fucked several long-term employees over.. don't want anyone to get in trouble) and salary negotiations (according to her, women can't negotiate as well as men so nobody is allowed to negotiate their salaries anymore). Damnit... I really wish spez would come back and sort this shit out. ...sigh...

I believe him on the Pao aspects...she's, more than once, illustrated she does not know how to use Reddit; she tried to link her own inbox ect. She's highly intelligent, mind you, it just seems like she doesn't even care to learn. Which again, makes sense, she's there to put lipstick on the pig before selling it....it would explain all of her short term thinking.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Isn't there some sort of gender discrimination history with Ellen Pao? A lawsuit I know, but also that it cuts both ways in regards to her hiring practices?

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why doesn't Reddit just force these subeddits open? It seems like a simple fix.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Isn't there some sort of gender discrimination history with Ellen Pao? A lawsuit I know, but also that it cuts both ways in regards to her hiring practices?
She sued a former employer for discrimination. Court found them innocent of everything she accused them of. She was suing for nearly the exact amount her ('formerly' gay) husband owes from a lawsuit he lost over some ponzi scheme.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
She sued a former employer for discrimination. Court found them innocent of everything she accused them of. She was suing for nearly the exact amount her ('formerly' gay) husband owes from a lawsuit he lost over some ponzi scheme.
Why the fuck would any company hire this person after that?

spronk

FPS noob
If you believe some of the rumor mongering her history is beyond fucked up.

she is married to a black lawyer who is gay, they just got married to be covers for each other like some weird House of Cards shit. The black lawyer ran a hedge fund which ran a pyramid scheme, Bernie Madoff style, and defrauded MA firefighters to the tune of $30m+. Thats a fact and is in public court records.

Pao had an affair with her boss at Kleiner Perkins (he was married), and when things went south she sued the company for discrimination. The amount she sued for is exactly the amount her husband owes for his pyramid scheme. She lost the lawsuit a few weeks ago, courts ruled against her.

Now it gets even weirder, insiders at reddit say Ellen Pao was having an affair with the CEO of Reddit, an asian dude who was married. She basically blackmailed him and when he got fired/left the company (its unclear why that happened) she was suddenly brought into the company as interim CEO, even though she had nothing to do with reddit before the day she became interim CEO. Yishan, the CEO, just appointed her as interim CEO with no approval or vetting or other candidates. Since then the site has more or less gone through multiple crisis.

The really funny thing is when all this starts unrolling there could be investigations against the board of directors of reddit, if the company goes from a $500m+ valuation to a lot less, there are going to be investors who will be seriously pissed.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
LOL, the board at Reddit actually allowed the CEO to *appoint* someone as interim? Surely that can't be standard practice. If it is, it explains an awful lot about why so many companies are fucked up. They're being run like little kingdoms.

edit: Having now googled her, Pao is at best an Omaha 6 / San Diego 2. How in hell does she bag two married millionaires?

masteen

N00b
So this morning, Pao ousted the mods that took r/pics down and installed one of her pets to bring it up. Almost immediately a pic of Victoria Falls jumped to the top of the front page. That sub is now dark again.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
So this morning, Pao ousted the mods that took r/pics down and installed one of her pets to bring it up. Almost immediately a pic of Victoria Falls jumped to the top of the front page. That sub is now dark again.
pics has been back up for a while, and movies is back up now too. it's pretty much over at this point -- the mods are too attached to their fake internet powers to put any real skin in the game here.