Relocating from Philly to Denver

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Company wants to balance the two teams between Philly and Denver and has tapped me to move to the Denver office if the visit in September goes well.

What do I need to know about Denver and Colorado as a whole?

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Denver is awesome. Sunny weather, great drinking scene, endless outdoor activities (summer and winter), bunch of chill babes. Love to visit.

• 1Dislike

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I hear they're starting to have issues with degenerate hippies and homeless... And aside from the social issues, literally everyone is into outdoors stuff, so hopefully you at least like hiking or you're gonna be a weirdo.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Company wants to balance the two teams between Philly and Denver and has tapped me to move to the Denver office if the visit in September goes well.

What do I need to know about Denver and Colorado as a whole?
Given your politics posts, prepare to be very unhappy with politics and amount of millenial boulderite hippies. #resist bumper stickers etc. Many parts of denver driving thru with window down reek of pot now. Very nice out door areas. Suprisingly hot and dry summers compared to what people usually think of CO. Winters are also milder/drier most years than people envision. Inner Denver is not very rough outside some fairly small area's. Kinda only one main little region of inventor types, but huge population of hispanics. Some area's of town are rundown sketchy and feel like being in tijuana almost.

Where at exactly/roughly since Denver Denver is quite huge and then surrounded by a ton of cities all part of the same sprawl.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I hear they're starting to have issues with degenerate hippies and homeless... And aside from the social issues, literally everyone is into outdoors stuff, so hopefully you at least like hiking or you're gonna be a weirdo.
Yes, between legalizing pot, and some other changes. (Denver itself just decriminalized shrooms) We've had a massive influx of crime, and what I call "professional" transients. IE not just old crazy people but tons of younger homeless that come here with pretty good quality camping gear and basically try and get on benefits and just hang out in parks smoking weed. A lot of our open space forests that are nearby to the cities are having huge issues with homeless camps, both with crime and general trashing and bio hazards of open latrines kind of thing. Couple years ago, I posted about looking up from my coffee along Speer in denver and watching a homeless person in the median along the stream/river taking a dump with traffic on either side... The king soopers near there now has a needle disposal bin in it's parking lot...

Weed itself is not directly a problem except it's brought in a lot of people that also have other drug habbits and in general lawless. (Like CA we are also fighting an increase in black market pot grows because it's much easier to go under the radar now)

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Stay away from the Jesus Saves building area as it both reeks of pot, and an outdoor sewer, otherwise I can't think of much downside to living here. The city does reek of pot if you walk around/drive with the windows down, so that can get irritating, but the farther out of downtown you get the less its noticeable.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Pretty soon everywhere will smell like pot. So that's just something people need to get used to.

• 1Garbage

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dont mind the smell of pot myself, there is a lot of worse smells out there. Reminds me of every concert I ever went to.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Don't forget to add being further away from Mist in your pro/con analysis

• 1Worf

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Boulder is much smaller, much better for outdoor activities, very pricey, and pretty much every person who lives there is a caricature of a smug liberal straight out of a south park episode.

fartsmelling.gif

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty soon everywhere will smell like pot. So that's just something people need to get used to.

Yeah but the first places to do it are going to attract a shitty crowd. It's not like once pot is everywhere all those homeless bums are going to decide to relocate. The pretentious hippies MIGHT but certainly not all of them.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Make sure you get a bump in pay housing in Denver area is considerably higher than SE PA . Real estate taxes are better, however .

We are in the process of moving from PA to CO and houses in general are about 30% more

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
What is Boulder like in comparison to Denver?

It's a college town, but a really, really expensive one. The town is right in front of the Flat Irons (mountains) so it's gorgeous and the amenities are off the chart. A crystal clear river runs through Boulder and there is an awesome white water tubing park right in town. You can grab a 12 of beer and go to the park, have some drinks and wade in the river, then take a hike into the hills right above the park that lead you to awesome rock formations that look down on the entire town of Boulder- I watched the fireworks up there this last 4th. Very green, lots of trees, manages to have a small town vibe but doesn't lack culture and stuff to do, like a lot of small towns. Very chill place in general.

Bad stuff is that, like I said, it's really, really expensive. You won't be living in Boulder unless you make a ton of money. Pretty much everyone who works retail/restaurant jobs in Boulder has to live 20-30 minutes outside. It's VERY liberal, so if that bothers you, you'll hate it. People are actually pretty friendly, but there is a little bit of the smug thing that uncognito uncognito mentioned. Not nearly as bad as he is making it sound, but you'll see it from time to time.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
More mild than Philly but you'll still get cold spells when the weather dips to the 20s. However snow is rare and when it does snow it melts in like two days tops. Denver is a very sunny place.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Winters way better here than in the NE. Like Alex said, tons of sunshine and low humidity make winters here really tolerable.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Most notable thing in the winter is the weekend/powder day traffic jams on I-70 as everyone heads up to go ski. As said the weather itself is usually not bad.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've been in Boulder for 1.5 years now, I like it. Lots to do like Arden Arden is saying. I rarely travel anywhere east of Boulder, everything I like is Northwest, Southwest and West. Definitely ask for a raise and some moving expenses thrown in.

As far as degenerate hippies/homeless, it's a problem in every city I've been to in the past 5 years. Portland is way worse in my experience.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I've been in Boulder for 1.5 years now, I like it. Lots to do like Arden Arden is saying. I rarely travel anywhere east of Boulder, everything I like is Northwest, Southwest and West. Definitely ask for a raise and some moving expenses thrown in.

As far as degenerate hippies/homeless, it's a problem in every city I've been to in the past 5 years. Portland is way worse in my experience.

They didn't give me a "raise" but I did get a 3% CoL increase. I'm crunching the numbers and if i'm not buying a house there it's pretty much on par with Philadelphia. Rent is a little bit more but that 4% negro population versus 46% in Philly is a real seller. They also gave me 4.5 grand for moving expenses.

I need to make friends though, Hows the nerd, Magic,Boardgame scene there? What about women?