Remember Me

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'll definitely check it out. If it gets me for longer than an hour I'll pony up and buy it. I've used this strategy with a few games lately (Don't Starve, Dead Space 3, Tropico 4). I've dubbed it "ethical pirating."

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The worst part about high visibility flops like this is it just cements publisher's beliefs that taking gameplay risks never pays off so we get Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty 13.

Sean_sl

shitlord
The worst part about high visibility flops like this is it just cements publisher's beliefs that taking gameplay risks never pays off so we get Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty 13.
Well, from the sounds of it, they didn'treallytake any gameplay risks. Reports are that it's mostly filled with dull/boring Action-Game combat that doesn't really work out and that the really cool stuff that they show cased initially is rare (when it should be the main focus of the game). If that were swapped, I imagine it would be reviewed higher.

It's also the first game of some small french developer (Dontnod Entertainment) and published by Capcom who publishes tons of weird shit.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Totally bummed this might be a flop. Was a cool premise and an interesting idea. Maybe it would have made a better movie.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Totally bummed this might be a flop. Was a cool premise and an interesting idea. Maybe it would have made a better movie.
I think if it was 20+ hours, even padded, I'd have picked it up right off. I buy mid-score games all the time as long as they've got a decent amount of content. A super linear straight 8 hours that isn't a A++ experience is pretty off putting though. Maybe I'll pick it up on Amazon when it drops to $20-25 in 2-3 months.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Bummer, I was hoping this would be good since the premise looked interesting enough. Guess it'll turn into a steam sale buy for me now instead of an immediate purchase.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Combat is ok, plays just like the latest batman minus all the gadget combos, the memory thing is revolutionary and could be its own game via a spin off. I was left wanting to see more so they are doing something right.

Cant help but feel if they spent less time making stuff shiny and more time in peoples brains it would be a far superior experience.

Give it a go but wait for the sale.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Combat is ok, plays just like the latest batman minus all the gadget combos, the memory thing is revolutionary and could be its own game via a spin off. I was left wanting to see more so they are doing something right.

Cant help but feel if they spent less time making stuff shiny and more time in peoples brains it would be a far superior experience.

Give it a go but wait for the sale.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
My main concern is that it won't sell well due to being mediocre game and Capcom will take that as a sign they were right when they tried to push for a male lead, that the bad sales show people don't want to play as a female in games and we lose out in the future on devs using the best gender to push the story (or are just gender neutral)

I'll grab it today, thank god for EB 7 day return policy.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
My main concern is that it won't sell well due to being mediocre game and Capcom will take that as a sign they were right when they tried to push for a male lead, that the bad sales show people don't want to play as a female in games and we lose out in the future on devs using the best gender to push the story (or are just gender neutral)
Not sure if serious.

Caliane

was just having a conversation today on gender parity in games. and was discussing a tally of sales figures for male protagonists vs female should be made.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Not sure if serious.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/18/412...lead-character

"We had some [companies] that said, 'Well, we don't want to publish it because that's not going to succeed. You can't have a female character in games. It has to be a male character, simple as that,'" said Moris.

I mis-remembered that it was Capcom that had an issue with the female lead but the point still stands that those that turned it down for that reason could use it's sales data to push their point when future devs bring them new games to try and get published.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Well it would help if the game was getting decent reviews. Watching my buddy play is hard enough but at least we can share some laughs. Glad to see in that same article Naughty Dog didn't push Ellie to the back cover of The Last Of Us.

I don't see how sales have anything to do with it anyways, publishers could use that excuse, but a shitty game with either gender will fail and a great game with either gender will not. Some settings are better than others for genders, like I'd prefer a male role in a comedic type game (like I would at a comedy club, sorry ladies), but maybe that is just me. Unless of course it was the Queen of Mean, she is still damn funny in a guy like way.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, wasn't Capcom. Capcom has female leads now and then, hell they just put out Resident Evil Revelations in which Jill is the main character again. Also I think that's more of an American concern than a Japanese one, as there's plenty of Japanese games with female leads. Hell, there's ones with nothing but female characters in them.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
as there's plenty of Japanese games with female leads. Hell, there's ones with nothing but female characters in them.
I don't think we should count dating sims.

Pretty much agree with Hatorade. Combat feels like a not as polished version of Batman, though the combo system is kind of interesting. The jumping/climbing is a not as good version of Tomb Raider. I would love to punch the Frenchie who decided to add QTEs to the boss fights though. I do wish they did more with the memory thing in game though, that seems like their one big thing and they've barely made use of it so far. I'm not too unhappy about buying it at full price, I'm more of a story and environment kind of game player though so the not so polished game play mechanics don't bother me nearly as much as it could some people.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Yea, this game looked a lot more promising prior to some of the videos that were posted after I started this thread. I had it pre-ordered, but haven't picked it up yet. With the Last of Us coming out, the new Deadpool game, Muramasa Rebirth (That I might actually buy a Vita for because god damn do I love all of those games, the art style is so fucking cool) + some new shit in August I just honestly won't pay attention.

Admittedly, my cajones are in a knot waiting for e3 - the thief demo they showed was just a mod to be actually playable, but I'm hoping I'll actually get to see something there, and maybe even Dragon age 3.