Remember Me

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I do wish they did more with the memory thing in game though, that seems like their one big thing and they've barely made use of it so far.
There's only 4 of them in the game. I had long ago decided I wasn't buying it, but that right there got me to cross it off my GameFly queue as well.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I was counting RPGs, alotof them. Parasite Eve, a few Final Fantasy games, a lot of the Atelier series, HDN, etc. Also there's a few Resident Evil games and other stuff like that.
Charlie's Angels: Final Fantasy X2 shouldn't count. :p

Caliane

Yeah, wasn't Capcom. Capcom has female leads now and then, hell they just put out Resident Evil Revelations in which Jill is the main character again. Also I think that's more of an American concern than a Japanese one, as there's plenty of Japanese games with female leads. Hell, there's ones with nothing but female characters in them.
yeah, but having a female lead is barely enough. I mean, lolipop chainsaw? bayonetta? That is hardly satisfying the female public.

I like to think I am fairly bias neutral. I am actually fighting against the feminist(self described, I am not calling her that to be derisive), as her opinions in the other thread I mentioned are fairly short sighted and lack a good awareness of the issues at hand.

here I will defend her points.

Where is the Brienne of Tarth? when is the last time you saw a large, non-sexual woman lead? not even strong AND sexy. just strong.

Or, one of my points about inequality, which no one want's to talk about usually. where are the flawed female characters? The kratos, the booker dewitt, etc?
Can you even imagine the shitstorm if Bioshock:inf was gendered reversed? The feminists would be still pissed off, at what a horrible person a female booker would be. and the men would hate her too.
the joke here, is you just can't do it. make a flawed female character, and 9/10 you just piss everyone off. flawed male characters=deeeeeep
Its almost funny to see the feminist INSIST male leads are all the male ideal. They clearly do not play video games. the vast majority are clearly anti-heroes. I can't even make a list.

Female characters in games just don't run much of a gamut. Even the ideals are just the smart chick, the wise chick, the nimble chick.
more games with females being actual characters, and idols is always good.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I mean, lolipop chainsaw? bayonetta? That is hardly satisfying the female public.
Somewhat ironically, Bayonetta was relatively well-received by the feminazi female gamer blog-o-borg, and in some cases even praised. Why? I have no idea, maybe because she wears glasses? Bitches be crazy.

Caliane

Somewhat ironically, Bayonetta was relatively well-received by the feminazi female gamer blog-o-borg, and in some cases even praised. Why? I have no idea, maybe because she wears glasses? Bitches be crazy.
some do, some don't. it can be a real fine line between owning sexuality, and being sexualized. and really, to-mate-to/to-mat-o. telling THEM that. ha good luck.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
yeah, but having a female lead is barely enough. I mean, lolipop chainsaw? bayonetta? That is hardly satisfying the female public.

I like to think I am fairly bias neutral. I am actually fighting against the feminist(self described, I am not calling her that to be derisive), as her opinions in the other thread I mentioned are fairly short sighted and lack a good awareness of the issues at hand.

here I will defend her points.

Where is the Brienne of Tarth? when is the last time you saw a large, non-sexual woman lead? not even strong AND sexy. just strong.

Or, one of my points about inequality, which no one want's to talk about usually. where are the flawed female characters? The kratos, the booker dewitt, etc?
Can you even imagine the shitstorm if Bioshock:inf was gendered reversed? The feminists would be still pissed off, at what a horrible person a female booker would be. and the men would hate her too.
the joke here, is you just can't do it. make a flawed female character, and 9/10 you just piss everyone off. flawed male characters=deeeeeep
Its almost funny to see the feminist INSIST male leads are all the male ideal. They clearly do not play video games. the vast majority are clearly anti-heroes. I can't even make a list.

Female characters in games just don't run much of a gamut. Even the ideals are just the smart chick, the wise chick, the nimble chick.
more games with females being actual characters, and idols is always good.
There's one more chick. The completely fucking badass Renegade Femshep Chick.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I want to play a game where I can mercilessly beat woman and fucking slit their throat like I do with men.

When will I get those games.

Caliane

ha yeah. I mentioned femshep.

which is a good example of how just a blank gender isn't everything.
femshep was better, because jennifer hale is a better VA and added nuance to the character whats his face, wasn't able to.

In general, there is a greater point there as well.
a tally of games. games without protags, or characters at all. sports games, puzzle games, sims, etc. this is the majority.
then we have squads, and character selects. street fighter, league of legends, path of exile, rpgs with premade characters etc. I would suggest these average 60/40 or so. male/female.
then create your own. every other wrpg ever, mmo's etc. a very large portion of games nowadays are this. you make your character. many vocal "critic"s seem to completely ignore this. all the focus is on the few that have established protagonists.
which really is more like 10% of the total gaming. kindof funny really.

Fogia_sl

shitlord
Played it for ~3 hours yesterday (just unlocked in my region). Enjoying it more that I expected. Graphics, musics, setting and various other things are great.

Of course the game has its weaknesses.
I believe the major one is the camera but it doesn't bother me that much. While they could have done it better, finding the perfect POV when navigating narrow streets/rooftops in Paris must be a nightmare. I guess they didn't foresee this and most likely noticed the issue too late in the development cycle, when most of the level design was completed. Unfortunately, most of the other third person games are set in wide/open areas, so it is difficult to find a comparison.
There is also the on-rail experience. Well, although I tend to agree, many of the recent A+ games also suffer from such issue, be it platform or shooters.

So far, I'm tempted to say that the game is likely trashed by some because it blatantly picks some game play aspects from different A+ games, but has them less developed, thus stamped sub-par. For instance combat system is a big sub-ripoff of Batman, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its charm. Same goes for platforming. Its telegraphed/on-rail like Uncharted but less enjoyable. Yet again, that doesn't mean it sucks.
So if you break down the game and analyze each aspect, you may put too much focus on such "flaws" because the combat/platform is, let's be frank, a major chunk of the game. This will overshadow everything else.

I can't comment much regarding the story/length considering I'm not far in the game, but it has been fine till then.

In the end, I would say that the game deserves at least a 7. I'm pleased to see that it has gone that up under metacritic (both PC press and customer reviews at least) after being trashed right at the start. Although it has its flaws, the devs got a A+ in my book for trying to introduce a completely new IP without it being a complete wreckage. It's obvious they have much talents, now its up to them to learn from their mistakes (fix camera, improve combat, more memory shuffling, etc ...).

Now I guess some won't agree, but it's a matter of taste. Point is, while waiting for its release, I played Bioshock Infinite which was gifted by a friend. After 16 hours spamming the loot key and shooting a half-baked AI (playing in hard) while being almost on rail (no pun intended), I can't understand how it only got 8+ marks over 68 press reviews under metacritic (and so many perfect scores). 2K can't have that much money to buy all press reviewers, can they ? So to each its own I guess ...

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I played it for maybe an hour. The fight sequences really drag it down for me. I don't enjoy this kind of combat. Hiding boxes everywhere is annoying, especially when there is no overt save and previous areas become inaccessible abruptly and frequently. The climbing walls stuff is OK, but a little dull. Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider both do all of that better. I really liked tinkering with this one lady's memory. That was the best part of my short experience. I don't think I'll continue because you have to slog through a lot of shit to experience something cool.

If the combat was better and this was open world rather than a series of tunnels it would be a lot stronger. They could even get rid of combat and I'd be happy with that. I am far more interesting in the memory aspects.

As far as aesthetics, why does everyone have a glowing neck hologram? That does not cease to annoy me. It's completely unnecessary. From the minds of futurist posers everywhere...

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Just to let everyone know this game is on sale for$13.99 for PS+ members and $19.99 regular price on the PSN store.

I bought it because it's absolutely worth $14. With that said, I would have definitely regretted dropping a full $60 for the game. Everything said about the game in this thread is pretty spot on.

The combat isn't SO bad, but the camera being sluggish or WAY overly sensitive with no sensitivity level to manipulate (who the fuck releases a combat and parkour oriented game with no sensitivity control? Capcom.) is mind boggling and frustrating as fuck at times. I played it immediately on the hardest difficulty & was pleasently surprised, I had quite underestimed the game since I'm pretty good at this kind of combat. It gives you a good challenge but it's overshadowed at times by the camera/movement faults and yeah the combos can become very boring/tiresome. Another really shitty part is that there is no real counter, you HAVE to dodge when the ! flashes when someone attacks you or you will get hit - simple as that. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT. It fucks up the fluidity of combat severely and is completely retarded. Luckily, the dodging system is pretty sweet but notthatsweet. On a positive note, there is a really cool system with combos where you can set up your combos in a custom way so certain kicks and punches do certain things - like a combo can heal you, charge you meter for specials, and boost for extra damage among other things & you can change all of this on the fly for bossfights or crowd control, etc. The enemies are unique and pretty cool though, and have a decent variety of ways of being fucked up and trying to fuck you up. (This will make more sense when you see what they are...)

Story is ok but the fucking memory remixing isawesome as hell, there just isn't enough of it. They had a golden egg with the entire concept, it's a fucking shame. The game was also trumpeted as free roam/open world or whatever...yeah, not really the case. There's a few openings here and there where you can find an item or whatever but everything is on rails on about a 90% scale to be honest, which leads to the next thing...

The goddamn environment - don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous and methodically renderedbuteverything is closed and you can't interact with fucking ANYTHING. So they have all this absolutely beautiful and interesting shit in this creative world that is basically saying, 'Hey, look at what you can't do! Fuck you, go back to running in that straight line!'. It sucks because this game had the potential to be an absolute 10/10 but this and the combat (or camera too, I guess) really just drop that score drastically.

The voice acting from the female protagonist is awesome in my opinion, everyone else is either very well done or just plain poor so it's kind of hit or miss there. Animations are pretty good, but nothing jaw dropping - the main character's dodging system and certain combat animations deserve some applause, though. Haven't finished the game yet, so I can't say how much content there is exactly but there seems to be about 8-15 hours of playtime and maybe 20-25 if you wanted absolutely everything and go for a second playthrough depending upon how you play. It could be worse, I really think it's the linear heart of the game combined with a combat system rife with potential yet sadly unfulfilled that cripples it, not the content or story.

Despite all of this, I'm enjoying it for what it is.
6.5/10

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Just beat it, not bad at all for a free PSN game. I had at least 3 occasions where I had to restart a checkpoint because the combat bugged out, one being a boss fight. Wasn't too fond of that.

I really enjoyed the presentation, it's damn beautiful for a PS3 game. The combat wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but wasn't great either. I think more than anything I was annoyed that almost all of the fighting occurred in obvious box arenas. You could tell when combat was about to start every time just by the set up. The platforming was kind of terrible but at least it allowed you to check out some of the nicer areas they set up.

My main gripe would be the entire game is super on rails, even the Memory Re-mixing. Really kind of soured me on the Memory Re-mixing altogether. If this had been more of an open world style game like Infamous, the upcoming Watch Dogs, or the Batman series the combat sort of apes, it would have been a far better game.

I love the setting, the story was engaging. This would have been a pretty dope movie. I'm glad I beat it and I'd recommend a playthrough as it won't take up all THAT much of your time.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Oh and funny reading all this stuff about stereotypical sexual woman lead right after The Last of Us DLC came out.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I really got the impression while playing it that they had much bigger ideas than they had budget, and pretty much every facet of the game suffered because of it.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Would be nice to see this game get a sequel with an open world treatment though I'd assume it's never going to happen.