Renal failure in pets: experience and advice with a side of amphibious bears

Archangel_sl

shitlord
I took my 13 year old kitty into the vet for her yearly check up, and because she had been chewing at the fur on her tummy. The blood test, however, indicates that she is suffering from renal failure--further ultrasound scans are booked for next week to see if this is acute or chronic, and now she's on special food, antibiotics, potassium, and a tablet that it supposed to increase the amount of protective fluids around her organs and keep her blood pressure under control. One vet is telling me that it could be mere weeks to a couple months before I lose her, whilst a few vets I know with rescue groups say that it could be years.

My kitty is a little on the skinny side, but otherwise healthy and active for a 13 year old!

Has anyone out there had experience with this sort of thing? Any advice that could help me? I'm absolutely devastated; I can't bear the thought of losing her so soon.

Caliane

balls.

yeah, kidney failure is really common in cats above 12 or so.
I lost my cat to that, and haven't gotten another since. largely because I do not want to go through that again.

The thing you really need to think about right now sadly is quality of life.
not sure how bad it is. but, 2weeks to 2 months could very well be right, and its torture for them during it.

"The disease is usually therefore progressive over time and will eventually lead to the need for euthanasia. However the rate of progression of renal disease varies considerably between individuals and appropriate support and treatment can both increase the quality of life of affected cats and also potentially slow down the progression of the disease."

It does vary, but be mindful, you will very likely need to make the choice for euthanasia at some point soon. watch her closely.

iannis

Musty Nester
There's really not much you can do for her. Renal failure or diabetes or cancer is what kills housecats.

Can't say too much more without sounding like an asshole. I've lots cats to renal failure. Sucks.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Don't misread this - I'm not trying to sound preachy or engage in victim blaming. The reason kidney failure is so high in cats is because of dry cat food and the fact that cats, left to their own devices, won't typically consume enough fluid to counterbalance their dry food intake. If you love your cats and want them to die at an old age of something other than kidney failure, stop feeding them dry cat food (or at least not predominantly feeding them dry cat food).

We fed our cats raw chicken, mice, and fish. Their coats were shinier, their teeth were cleaner, and they were all around high energy and awesome. Ya it's a pain in the ass, especially when the alternative is filling a bowl every few days or even weeks, but if your cat is your family, it's worth it.

iannis

Musty Nester
Wet cat food will rot their teeth. No shit, I had a cat who had to have them pulled. I was younger, I didn't even know his teeth were bad. The vet saw him and was like "WOAH, YOU DIPSHIT".

But cats don't drink enough. That's why their kidneys tend to fail. I dunno why they don't drink enough, but they don't.

I mean things die. Sometimes it sucks. 12 years for a cat is a good run. Expect 8-12. I had a cat that lived to 17. You don't want that either. She was so old and so riddled with osteoperosis that right at the end of her life she literally broke her own leg jumping onto a chair.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
balls.

yeah, kidney failure is really common in cats above 12 or so.
I lost my cat to that, and haven't gotten another since. largely because I do not want to go through that again.
i_hug_that_feel.png

Caliane

yeap. dry gives them kidney failure, wet rots their teeth.

I have no idea what the "proper" method is.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You sure? My cat lived to 13 1/2 years and she was fed entirely on dry food(aside from cans of tuna every so often) and her teeth ended up getting really bad which led to her death.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I took my 13 year old kitty into the vet for her yearly check up, and because she had been chewing at the fur on her tummy. The blood test, however, indicates that she is suffering from renal failure--further ultrasound scans are booked for next week to see if this is acute or chronic, and now she's on special food, antibiotics, potassium, and a tablet that it supposed to increase the amount of protective fluids around her organs and keep her blood pressure under control. One vet is telling me that it could be mere weeks to a couple months before I lose her, whilst a few vets I know with rescue groups say that it could be years.

My kitty is a little on the skinny side, but otherwise healthy and active for a 13 year old!

Has anyone out there had experience with this sort of thing? Any advice that could help me? I'm absolutely devastated; I can't bear the thought of losing her so soon.
Spent my wife and I's vacation fund (almost 3k) on our cat when he was having troubles with this. It was rough. That was last year.

He's been doing fine since then with a steady diet of special foods.

yeap. dry gives them kidney failure, wet rots their teeth.

I have no idea what the "proper" method is.
The proper method would be a raw diet with small edible bones worked in. That's very uncommon however, the best thing you can do is feed your cat wet food and get them raw hide treats.

Wet cat food will rot their teeth. No shit, I had a cat who had to have them pulled. I was younger, I didn't even know his teeth were bad. The vet saw him and was like "WOAH, YOU DIPSHIT".

But cats don't drink enough. That's why their kidneys tend to fail. I dunno why they don't drink enough, but they don't.

I mean things die. Sometimes it sucks. 12 years for a cat is a good run. Expect 8-12. I had a cat that lived to 17. You don't want that either. She was so old and so riddled with osteoperosis that right at the end of her life she literally broke her own leg jumping onto a chair.

Cat's don't drink enough before for millions of years their bodies were programmed to get their source of hydration from the liquid and blood of their prey. They're meat eaters, they feed on living animals and from what we known of muscle / meat composition that it is largely comprised of water. The best solution to this is a wet diet with a little bit of water mixed in (if you really want to be fancy some sodium free broth works well) and a running water fountain instead of a stagnant bowl of water.

Source volunteered for a vet and shelter for many years.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
It should be fairly obvious that the "Proper" method revolves around not feeding them manufactured and processed shit, and instead attempting to mimic what their ideal diet would be like if they weren't living with you. They don't feed the lions at the zoo Purina Lion Chow.

I say this as a guy who hadn't even heard of feeding pets raw meat 3 years ago, and I've been feeding my dog nothing but raw ever since, and will never go back to anything manufactured again. I don't know fuck all about cats, but I do know that animals are a lot fucking healthier when they eat natural foods. Kinda like humans in that way. Odd.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I had to put our cat down about a year ago. She had to have teeth pulled about 2 years before that, all dry diet. And it was kidney problems that eventually led to us getting her euthanized. She started sleeping in her litter box because she couldn't control her bladder. Was fucking brutal being there when they did it. I'd hate to have to go through it again. I wasn't even close to the cat (it was my wife's from before we got married, I lived with it for maybe 3 or 4 years). I bawled like a little girl.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
It should be fairly obvious that the "Proper" method revolves around not feeding them manufactured and processed shit, and instead attempting to mimic what their ideal diet would be like if they weren't living with you. They don't feed the lions at the zoo Purina Lion Chow.

I say this as a guy who hadn't even heard of feeding pets raw meat 3 years ago, and I've been feeding my dog nothing but raw ever since, and will never go back to anything manufactured again. I don't know fuck all about cats, but I do know that animals are a lot fucking healthier when they eat natural foods. Kinda like humans in that way. Odd.
Actually a lot of zoos in India and other places of the world have been known for feeing Lions shit like Purina Lion Chow.

This dude did a live documentary on the monkey chow they feed Gorillas in zoo's.
http://www.angryman.ca/monkey.html

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
where do you get raw mice.
Pet food stores. They're (typically?) frozen.

Do not microwave them to thaw them. While hilarious to see my wife's reaction to an exploding mouse, she didn't look like she had a very good time cleaning the microwave...

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Pet food stores. They're (typically?) frozen.

Do not microwave them to thaw them. While hilarious to see my wife's reaction to an exploding mouse, she didn't look like she had a very good time cleaning the microwave...
.... Thats for snakes, dude...

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I feel badly for you Arch, my dog was killed by this a couple of years ago and it is not a pleasant way to go. The usual treatment for this sort of thing is administering subcutaneous fluids at home on a regular basis + diet changes. For my 30 lb dog I had to do it twice a day and it was not fun, she never got used to the needles and just felt like shit all the time; no energy, no appetite, frequent vomiting, could not squat to do her business without help etc. I am given to understand however that it is a much easier treatment for cats as you can do it less frequently due to low body weight and they may experience better results.

As for my own experience I wish that my vet had not humored me and just been tough and direct; your dog will die, it will be slow and it will be painful. Also it will cost you a few thousand to try this and you will reap nothing but an empty wallet and pain for your trouble... but hey as long as I'm getting paid right? Douche bag.

I wish you the best of luck mate.