Renal failure in pets: experience and advice with a side of amphibious bears

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Feel free to stop talking.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...47534661,d.aWc

Like I said, it's a common food for sled dogs in subsistence cultures. Now, take your ignorance elsewhere.
It should be fairly obvious that the "Proper" method revolves around not feeding them manufactured and processed shit, and instead attempting to mimic what their ideal diet would be like if they weren't living with you. They don't feed the lions at the zoo Purina Lion Chow.
Wheres is this species of amphibious dog that existed thousands of years ago in Alaska and ate fish? Feeding dogs fish is no more natural than feeding them "manufactured and processed shit". My cat lived to 13 1/2 years on "manufactured shit" and ive seen countless animals live to 15-20 years on "manufactured shit". Your idea that feeding your animal its "raw natural diet" is more healthy and going to make it live 100x longer is false.
My cat preferred to drink from the water left over in the shower and out of the bathroom faucet for some odd reason. Also read somewhere that cats do not prefer to have their water and food dish right next to each other. So I moved her water dish maybe 3 feet away and I'll come home and her dish will be empty. Beforehand, I could barely tell if she had been drinking. Go figure.
Mine was the exact same way. Always preferred to drink water from the sink or bathtub instead of her water dish which was always full. She just go into the bathroom and jump into the tub and just meow until we would come turn it on a little for her.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Wheres is this species of amphibious dog that existed thousands of years ago in Alaska and ate fish? Feeding dogs fish is no more natural than feeding them "manufactured and processed shit". My cat lived to 13 1/2 years on "manufactured shit" and ive seen countless animals live to 15-20 years on "manufactured shit". Your idea that feeding your animal its "raw natural diet" is more healthy and going to make it live 100x longer is false.
You're fucking retarded, but I guess I expect that from you. You should have taken the hint when I said that canis domesticus isn't canis lupis. We're not talking about wolves and we're not talking about fucking amphibious dogs, you cretin. The dog and the wolf have branched off evolutionarily and are two distinctly separate species - one of which hunts large prey animals in packs, and the other waits at the door for you to feed it. The idea of "xxx food" where xxx is the species of your pet didn't exist 100 years ago. What do you suppose they ate before Purina started manufacturing food for your fucking animal to eat? What ever could they have possibly eaten without an overcooked piece of kibble made of grain and animal byproducts? Do you suppose it was probably the shit that was readily available to their owners?

Dogs have existed and had a symbiotic relationship with humans for a lot longer than the idea of dog food has existed. They have subsisted off table scraps, whatever they could scavenge around the farm, and the fish that is readily available in the arctic where they were used as pack animals for just as long.

Now stop embarrassing yourself. You're out of your league here.

Rune_sl

shitlord
I had a bird dog when I was a kid that would eat raw fish. She would chase perch and trout up the creek to the shallows and just go to town on 'em. Turtles, crawfish. Gave zero fucks what Phoenix's views on evolutionary adaptable diets for canines were. Dogs will eat anything, man.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Wheres is this species of amphibious dog that existed thousands of years ago in Alaska and ate fish? Feeding dogs fish is no more natural than feeding them "manufactured and processed shit".
Dude, don't even bother arguing with Cutlery about dogs and diet. His pseudoscientific belief in the "paleo diet for dogs" isn't going to change. It sucks that he turns any thread about dogs or cats into yet more evangelism for his paleo dog diet but the best advice is to just ignore it.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
what do you guys think about microscopic cat parasites invading human brains

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Dude, don't even bother arguing with Cutlery about dogs and diet. His pseudoscientific belief in the "paleo diet for dogs" isn't going to change. It sucks that he turns any thread about dogs or cats into yet more evangelism for his paleo dog diet but the best advice is to just ignore it.
Trying to make the argument into somethings it not, huh? The argument is about dogs eating fish. There are many places in the world where dogs eat fish, irrefutable fact.

Take your bullshit pseudoscience complaints where there aren't irrefutable facts. If you wanna sit here and claim dogs don't eat fish, you can argue until you're blue in the face and its not gonna make it true. If you want to argue something no one else is, then go to the political thread and hang out with a_skeleton_03.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Trying to make the argument into somethings it not, huh? The argument is about dogs eating fish. There are many places in the world where dogs eat fish, irrefutable fact.

Take your bullshit pseudoscience complaints where there aren't irrefutable facts. If you wanna sit here and claim dogs don't eat fish, you can argue until you're blue in the face and its not gonna make it true. If you want to argue something no one else is, then go to the political thread and hang out with a_skeleton_03.
Fish is as natural to a dog's diet as "manufactured shit".

khalid

Unelected Mod
I had a friend from Romania who believed very strongly that cats would suck the life out of babies mouths if left in a room alone with a baby. Given that Araysar is from soviet russia, Araysar really believes the same about cat brain parasites. Not sure why so many cultures have weird myths about the evil of cats.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The only way my cat could be more awesome is if it did, in fact, suck the life out of babies.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
We have a cat water fountain that the cats like especially if you drop ice cubes in it.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Fish is as natural to a dog's diet as "manufactured shit".
Lemme guess. You're the kinda guy who thinks that these

FRITO-LAY-NATURAL-CHEETOS.jpg

don't exist because cheetos don't grow on trees, right?

Never stop, little peenix. Never stop.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I had a friend from Romania who believed very strongly that cats would suck the life out of babies mouths if left in a room alone with a baby. Given that Araysar is from soviet russia, Araysar really believes the same about cat brain parasites. Not sure why so many cultures have weird myths about the evil of cats.
The cat brain parasite stuff is real though, to some extent. Not that the parasite infects the brain and takes control of the person, but rather that cats do have a parasite, Toxoplasma gondii, and up to a third of the planet is infected with this parasite due to contact with cats. This parasite can cause brain damage and death in a developing fetus, and has been tentatively linked to ADHD, suicidal tendencies, higher aggression levels. All sorts of shit. Most of its probably hokey, but some of it maybe not so much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

And it was like a Czech guy that spent a large portion of a decade studying this parasite that brought a lot of this to light in the past few years

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-crazy/308873/

Certainly Flegr?s thinking is jarringly unconventional. Starting in the early 1990s, he began to suspect that a single-celled parasite in the protozoan family was subtly manipulating his personality, causing him to behave in strange, often self-destructive ways. And if it was messing with his mind, he reasoned, it was probably doing the same to others.

The parasite, which is excreted by cats in their feces, is called Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii or Toxo for short) and is the microbe that causes toxoplasmosis?the reason pregnant women are told to avoid cats? litter boxes. Since the 1920s, doctors have recognized that a woman who becomes infected during pregnancy can transmit the disease to the fetus, in some cases resulting in severe brain damage or death. T. gondii is also a major threat to people with weakened immunity: in the early days of the AIDS epidemic, before good antiretroviral drugs were developed, it was to blame for the dementia that afflicted many patients at the disease?s end stage. Healthy children and adults, however, usually experience nothing worse than brief flu-like symptoms before quickly fighting off the protozoan, which thereafter lies dormant inside brain cells?or at least that?s the standard medical wisdom.

But if Flegr is right, the ?latent? parasite may be quietly tweaking the connections between our neurons, changing our response to frightening situations, our trust in others, how outgoing we are, and even our preference for certain scents. And that?s not all. He also believes that the organism contributes to car crashes, suicides, and mental disorders such as schizophrenia. When you add up all the different ways it can harm us, says Flegr, ?Toxoplasma might even kill as many people as malaria, or at least a million people a year.?

An evolutionary biologist at Charles University in Prague, Flegr has pursued this theory for decades in relative obscurity. Because he struggles with English and is not much of a conversationalist even in his native tongue, he rarely travels to scientific conferences. That ?may be one of the reasons my theory is not better known,? he says. And, he believes, his views may invite deep-seated opposition. ?There is strong psychological resistance to the possibility that human behavior can be influenced by some stupid parasite,? he says. ?Nobody likes to feel like a puppet. Reviewers [of my scientific papers] may have been offended.? Another more obvious reason for resistance, of course, is that Flegr?s notions sound an awful lot like fringe science, right up there with UFO sightings and claims of dolphins telepathically communicating with humans.

But after years of being ignored or discounted, Flegr is starting to gain respectability. Psychedelic as his claims may sound, many researchers, including such big names in neuroscience as Stanford?s Robert Sapolsky, think he could well be onto something. Flegr?s ?studies are well conducted, and I can see no reason to doubt them,? Sapolsky tells me. Indeed, recent findings from Sapolsky?s lab and British groups suggest that the parasite is capable of extraordinary shenanigans. T. gondii, reports Sapolsky, can turn a rat?s strong innate aversion to cats into an attraction, luring it into the jaws of its No. 1 predator. Even more amazing is how it does this: the organism rewires circuits in parts of the brain that deal with such primal emotions as fear, anxiety, and sexual arousal. ?Overall,? says Sapolsky, ?this is wild, bizarre neurobiology.? Another academic heavyweight who takes Flegr seriously is the schizophrenia expert E. Fuller Torrey, director of the Stanley Medical Research Institute, in Maryland. ?I admire Jaroslav for doing [this research],? he says. ?It?s obviously not politically correct, in the sense that not many labs are doing it. He?s done it mostly on his own, with very little support. I think it bears looking at. I find it completely credible.?

Saying that dogs don't eat fish because they are land mammals is like saying bears don't eat fish because they are land mammals.

Pretty dumb, simply put.
There's a joke a comedian used to tell that I would see on one of those old Comedy Central shows where they'd just show clips from stand up sessions (back in the early 90s) I think it was that fat comedian John Pinette that told it, that was about seeing a commercial for cat food where the commercial claimed cats naturally craved beef, and Pinette couldn't understand how that could be. Then he'd go into a short sort of mental image about a cat dashing across a field, tearing a cow's throat out, and proceeding to eat the entire cow.

Its not that funny but as a kid I always thought it was. This conversation reminded me of it for some reason.